Porsche Dealer left off one of my options!

Wasn't sure if this was the best section but ordered a new Porsche last October for me and my wife for a January build. 

After signing the contract and going home my wife noticed the entry and drive option that we selected was missing. 

So I emailed straight away and they said "Will adjust and send a revised copy". 

However, the revised copy never showed up but I was advised verbally that it was done. Boy was that a mistake! 

Unfortunately today I go in requesting a printed copy of my build and of course the "entry and drive" is missing. They said it was already locked when they requested it so I assume someone forgot to put it in, as I can't imagine it was locked back in October.  

This is our first Porsche and a very expensive purchase and very disappointing that they could not get it right given the amount of money these cars cost and the whole idea of ordering a custom build.

Arguably, the entry and drive isn't that important (which was the dealers comment) but it is more the principal of the thing and after all our $70,000 BMW even has entry and drive!

Just wondering if anyone can suggest where I stand now?

They tell me the next delivery dates would be April if I wanted to re-order though when I left they had not offered any specific solution. I just told them they need to sort something out. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Can it be retrofitted by the dealer to the car you ordered? Or does it have to be done at factory?

maybe you could ask them to fit it at the original option cost to the car you ordered?

I'm afraid if it isn't in writing it's as it stands. But there's a chance of a reorder with the option and maybe a sweetener from the dealer if they're worth their word. PITA if you have to wait 3 or 4 months on a re order but you will have the car for years n years and the wait will be long forgotten. Either way the dealer should offer a sweetener  in my book.

Thanks guys, I'm told it can't be retrofitted or at least not in their eyes. I'd imagine it would be a massive job with modules in the doors, trunk and frunk. 

The sales manager did ask for the correspondence so I did forward the emails with the SA's confirmation that it was done for what that is worth so it is clear the mistake is theirs. Though in hindsight I should have followed up with the sales manager. 

As you say we will have the car for years n years so maybe I should just re-order.

Re order the car, demand a courtesy car to be supplied at their cost until your new car is ready,  have done this before. If you have it in writing and it’s in the contract, and confirmation that it was done in writing, responsibility sits with them. That’s what a contract of sale is for. If they have not delivered on the contract the purchase of the vehicle is void.

Hey Don,

I'm really sorry to hear that they stuffed the options list on your incoming GTS :(.

In regards to the contract you signed, i know you ordered from PCW, and i ordered from PCSS, but part of my contract was some half assed clause which said that they would try their best to ensure all options were correct but couldnt guarantee it. Or something to that effect. Because my sales guy told me that upfront, i was pretty religious about getting printed out spec changes every time i changed something.

I would read the fine print in your contract to check to see if they had a similar clause at PCW. If they dont then you could really play hardball i guess. But it sucks that you would have to damage the ongoing relationship with clearly your closest Porsche dealer :(

Entry and drive is the equivalent of BMWs keyless entry or comfort access. 

Unfortunately for me the contract has it without it in which is why I emailed them same day I signed the contract with their confirmation email that they would adjust it and send a revised copy. 

But somewhere along the line it hasn't been done and seems like the best they can offer is to re-order and wait until July. No compensation offered at all. 

I wouldn't have thought it was necessarily unusual to revise one's build in the months following let a lone the same day!

12 hours ago, donR said:

Entry and drive is the equivalent of BMWs keyless entry or comfort access. 

Unfortunately for me the contract has it without it in which is why I emailed them same day I signed the contract with their confirmation email that they would adjust it and send a revised copy. 

But somewhere along the line it hasn't been done and seems like the best they can offer is to re-order and wait until July. No compensation offered at all. 

I wouldn't have thought it was necessarily unusual to revise one's build in the months following let a lone the same day!

Seems to me they're trying to motivate you to give up on it.

Does the contract price include the cost of this option? 

Negotiate some other sweetener.  Who cares if you have to push a button to unlock the car.  Not having this option has the added value of having somewhere to place the key when driving it (the ignition).  I have keyless go on my Merc and not on the Porsche and I do not miss it at all.  Just tell the dealer ok leave it but what are they going to give you in compensation?  2 years extended Warranty sounds like a good starting point.

Really appreciating the replies and thoughts about what to do.

Yep when working out the build and the final price it did include the entry and drive so least they could do was refund the cost of that option but I don't think its quite clear to the sales operation manager what has happened and the SA is so busy selling cars I really don't think it is on his priority list. 

As some of you mention the missing entry and drive isn't really critical but it is more the principal and not informing me when they eventually tried to put it on that the order was already locked in.  

I hadn't thought about extended warranty but do you think that would be too much to ask for? So refund the cost of the option + 2 years extended warranty?

I had thought they would offer me some incentive to take the car as is but seems like I'm going to have to give them some ideas. 

Everyone makes mistakes yet we all love to shout and scream and punish them for something as you say is not critical but it’s the principle. I think you’d get a better outcome trying to be a bit flexible this will help maintain a better relationship with the dealer and will probably make life easier down the track especially if you need a favour later. Shoot them now and you can say goodbye to any help later, be a little forgiving and will probably benefit you in the future . Remember they wouldn’t have done it deliberately and I’m sure they don’t want the stress of an unhappy customer either. 

1 hour ago, donR said:

Really appreciating the replies and thoughts about what to do.

Yep when working out the build and the final price it did include the entry and drive so least they could do was refund the cost of that option but I don't think its quite clear to the sales operation manager what has happened and the SA is so busy selling cars I really don't think it is on his priority list. 

As some of you mention the missing entry and drive isn't really critical but it is more the principal and not informing me when they eventually tried to put it on that the order was already locked in.  

I hadn't thought about extended warranty but do you think that would be too much to ask for? So refund the cost of the option + 2 years extended warranty?

I had thought they would offer me some incentive to take the car as is but seems like I'm going to have to give them some ideas. 

Well they hold the trump card (contract).

Hard to motivate them now as they're onto the next sale. I'm not good at this stuff but it's clear you need leverage but not so much as to piss em off, as said.

Go for a refund after you tell them you must reorder? They don't get paid until you get it. 😉

Seems to me that the dealership really isn't going out of its way to rectify the situation. If it was me I would now go directly to Porsche Cars Australia and make them aware of your issues and ask them to rectify this to your satisfaction with the Dealer Principle where you ordered the car. Ideally you should decide what you think would be the best outcome for you, your the paying customer after all.

Its very unprofessional & Porsche should be caring for its customers much better than this.

1 hour ago, Mick said:

Everyone makes mistakes yet we all love to shout and scream and punish them for something as you say is not critical but it’s the principle. I think you’d get a better outcome trying to be a bit flexible this will help maintain a better relationship with the dealer and will probably make life easier down the track especially if you need a favour later. Shoot them now and you can say goodbye to any help later, be a little forgiving and will probably benefit you in the future . Remember they wouldn’t have done it deliberately and I’m sure they don’t want the stress of an unhappy customer either. 

Mick I agree with you, however from what I can ascertain the dealer is not taking control of the situation and managing the problem. If the dealer was proactive and solutions orientated and trying to provide some options to achieve an mutual outcome then yes definitely you need to work with them and be flexible.

i could be wrong but from what I am reading the dealers just left the ball in his court?

cheers

^^^^^^^^^What Steve said. As your problem seems to be the principle more than the option, get the ball back into your court and then before you sign up the reorder, compromise with them for an extended warranty etc and the first few services free on the initial order. And throw in some caps and an umbrella!

27 minutes ago, JB said:

Mick I agree with you, however from what I can ascertain the dealer is not taking control of the situation and managing the problem. If the dealer was proactive and solutions orientated and trying to provide some options to achieve an mutual outcome then yes definitely you need to work with them and be flexible.

i could be wrong but from what I am reading the dealers just left the ball in his court?

cheers

Definitely agree with what your saying, if they’re not helping it’s different I’m just saying as a general bit of advice. If the dealers not helping then making  it difficult will soon change there attitude. I’m just suggesting to be flexible first may help. I hate it when people want to smash you for a mistake no ones perfect yet perception is someone needs to be punished. We deal with the public on a regular basis some are forgiving and we help beat we can then there’s the ones that want to abuse you at any opportunity and these guys can go fly.  

In retail, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have no idea what this ‘relationship’ is with dealers that a lot of Porsche people speak of, it’s like my broker mate telling me i’ll get a better deal if I stay put. Really? Why is it when I shop around every year I save money each time?

I’m not telling you to burn the place down, but it can’t hurt to squeeze them. It’s an optioned GTS, they aren’t selling that thing to someone else without taking a hit, and the hit will be thousands.

You actually have plenty of leverage, you just don’t realise it.

Thanks for the opinions.

I think I have been reasonably polite to them with the exception of bluntly stating that it is a problem and that it was there stuff up and that they needed to sort it out for me whilst noting that I understand that mistakes do happen. No shouting or screaming yet.

Aside from an apology, their efforts are focused on trying to convince me that I don't need the option anyway, in addition to telling me it would be a shame to wait another 7 months.  

Either way I am inconvenienced, and I guess it was wishful thinking to think they would offer any compensation.

I assume the sales manager doesn't  really have the authority to offer anything, even a refund on the missing option, so perhaps I need to start making some suggestions which he can take to his superior?

Archived