Porsche Dealer left off one of my options!

Either they supply the car you paid for (and they acknowledge you paid for the options despite them not ordering correctly) or cancel for a full refund and buy from another dealership. I think you’ve been patient enough and they’ve offered nothing to rectify 

On 19/01/2019 at 09:21, donR said:

Thanks guys, I'm told it can't be retrofitted or at least not in their eyes. I'd imagine it would be a massive job with modules in the doors, trunk and frunk. 

The sales manager did ask for the correspondence so I did forward the emails with the SA's confirmation that it was done for what that is worth so it is clear the mistake is theirs. Though in hindsight I should have followed up with the sales manager. 

As you say we will have the car for years n years so maybe I should just re-order.

My view contractually is you had and offer and acceptance even though the acceptance was verbal by the salesman.  Under consumer law if the salesman lies and says he never agreed or 

On 19/01/2019 at 08:48, Troubleshooter said:

I'm afraid if it isn't in writing it's as it stands. But there's a chance of a reorder with the option and maybe a sweetener from the dealer if they're worth their word. PITA if you have to wait 3 or 4 months on a re order but you will have the car for years n years and the wait will be long forgotten. Either way the dealer should offer a sweetener  in my book.

Just a view but I'd disagree with that. My take in this situation is  a  counter off by buyer  for the missed option after noting the dealers mistake on the paperwork   and acceptance by the sales person / written agreement ( email is suffice ) from sales person acting for and behalf of the dealer for the missed option is a contract modification under contract law.   Buyer followed up in writing so intent is clear eg must have that option.   Better if in a formal contract but not essential.  If the sale's person lies ( have an email)  you could sue for misleading and deceptive conduct  or misrepresentation under consumer law.   So for me you could get out of the contact for non performance by the dealer   if they dont provide the option even if the original contract had in fine print best endeavours  to have correct options or insist on the option but  as noted you may have to wait longer.  If you can  live with out it, ( cant live with the extra wait) I'd complain that the sales person made a  misrepresentation and or engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct or screwed up.  Which one is it.  If they come back and said the salesman made a mistake then that's an opening for a negotiation say on a reduced price  or a sweetener.  ( I wouldn't settle for just the reduced option cost (  eg less  cash or  extended warranty as a starting point  is a good call) or just threaten to walk away from the contract and say I reckon I have a very good case under consumer law for misrepresentation ( salesmanship mistake)  or misleading or deceptive conduct.    Ps I would be talking to the sales manager  and not the sales person and nicely express the  situation and chronology of events  and  that you are very pissed off ( i mean extremely disappointed  with the situation and buying experience to date and expected a better experience buying a porsche from your dealership that what you have encountered to date  compared to the stress endured to date) and what could be  offered to rectify the current situation. ( besides reducing the price for the current option).  Let them talk from that point and actively listen.  But as as backup I would say to  the sales manager if it was you in my shoes would you be interested  in waiting an additional 3 to 4 months for a dealer screw up Then throw in if you are not happy with their offer,   note if I ordered one today from the dealer in the next state this is their price delivered.   ( i'd get that price based on principle and I would expect it to be lower that your current price.)   PS I would try to not leave the dealership without having what's agreed in writing formally in a written contract or contract amendment to the original contract / and or formal acknowledgement that original contract is terminated and agreed in writing by both parties and then off to another dealer. Eg make a decision  and move on. 

Hang on a sec... They are still charging you for what they forgot to include in the order? 😳 I wouldn't be asking, I'd be demanding a refund from the dealer. If that fails, a quick call to Porsche Australia should solve that

Imagine that you'll keep your new car for 10 years.  Every time that you walk up to drive it, you'll be reminded that you did not get what you wanted, because the option that you specified that isn't there relates to get in and drive.  Can you live with that?

There is one positive that a car without entry and drive is harder to steal as the thief needs to obtain the key but with entry and drive a couple of $30 bit of electronics can get the car open and started. Also I found that with entry and drive if you have the key anywhere near the car while washing it  the consistent locking and unlocking can drive you nuts.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:16, clutch-monkey said:

what is enter and drive?

a mate ordered a manual 2 series bmw for his sister. it came in 4 months later. automatic..
they gave him a loan car every week until the re ordered car could get in.

it arrived, still automatic.

Same thing happened to a mate of mine - ordered a manual M2, they delivered an auto - so they loaned him an X5 until the re-order came in !

4 hours ago, Redracn said:

There is one positive that a car without entry and drive is harder to steal as the thief needs to obtain the key but with entry and drive a couple of $30 bit of electronics can get the car open and started. Also I found that with entry and drive if you have the key anywhere near the car while washing it  the consistent locking and unlocking can drive you nuts.

We got robbed in Europe like this, theives scanned the code & opened the car, knocked of all our stuff the relocked the car. We reported it & they told us “ happens all the time”.

Ok that's a good point about the theft issue with entry and drive but I don't hear it happening in Australia and it is not like you can fit much in a Cayman anyway!

After having a bit of time to mull it over and calm down I'm thinking of tomorrow suggesting they offer me full PPF as an incentive/compensation to take the current car with the missing option. I was going to get it anyway and hopefully this is  not too  much to ask for.

Alternatively, in the big scheme of things its not too long wait another 2.5 months for the proper build. I'm thinking if they are not willing to offer any incentive to take the current car then it is unlikely they will offer anything if I choose to re-order. We  will see. 

5 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Could be worse, you could be driving around in your 911R that was accidentally delivered without air con...

No way! Was it sorted in any way? Then again, what’s the worlds only non aircon R worth? 

4 minutes ago, GRK930 said:

No way! Was it sorted in any way? Then again, what’s the worlds only non aircon R worth? 

Nope, couldn’t be retro fitted.  And it wasn’t the only one, the same dealer had that very issue with another one or two.  

Turns out that air con is standard (and you have to tick a box to deselect it) on all Porsche’s except for the R, where it was reversed and you had to select it.  I understand that this is no longer the case regardless of Porsche model. 

Just thought I'd update everyone about the outcome of this. 

It seems I had to take the initiative but the dealer was willing to compensate if I took the current build with the missing option rather than re-ordering.  

Whilst they acknowledged the option was missed despite my request they were not willing to acknowledge that the option was included in the original contract value for what ever reason. 

Never the less with a little bit of tooing and froing they have agreed to fully wrap my vehicle in PPF which I understand has a trade value of approx $3500.

Their initial offer was a front wrap and ceramic coating to the rest of the car (value ~ $2500), but I pointed out that I may as well pay the balance for full PPF as it wasn't that far off and if they added the value of the missing option that was originally paid for it would cover it anyway, which they kindly obliged. 

I figure they could have done nothing so I think it is a good outcome. They are not stuck with a car they have to sell and I can be happy that I got a little bit extra for my troubles. Hopefully they are just as happy!

At this stage, I'd rather take the saving as well as knowing the car is well protected given the sort of driving I'll be doing. 

Archived