Tar blobs on your wheels..

Niko

Spent the morning putting some lippy and make up on the BBC for the upcoming HangerBanger2.

I have always had trouble trying to remove those pesky tar spots that appear on your wheels.  

Car wash and water just doesn't do it.

Enter ........De..Solv-it.

Great product, and it's all natural.

squirt it on the tar and watch it dissolve.... Just like magic:wub:

Then do the car wash and water, straight after.

Bunnings sell it.   Makes getting gunk of the wheels very very easy...   

IMG_2487.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

23 hours ago, Niko said:

Spent the morning putting some lippy and make up on the BBC for the upcoming HangerBanger2.

I have always had trouble trying to remove those pesky tar spots that appear on your wheels.  

IMG_2487.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

Clever person whoever developed the formulation. 🤔🤓

• 11 months later...
On 19/01/2019 at 19:37, Niko said:

IMG_2487.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

Hey Niko, do you know if this stuff is safe on paint? My rear bumper is covered in tar after the run up Lake Mountain. Rear wheels too.

3 minutes ago, Simonk said:

Hey Niko, do you know if this stuff is safe on paint? My rear bumper is covered in tar after the run up Lake Mountain. Rear wheels too.

Stoner’s Tarminator is what you want. Safe on paint but I wouldn’t let it dry on the surface and if you have wax on make sure you reapply after as the tarminator will strip that right off.

7 hours ago, Simonk said:

Simon, it is made from all natural products, so nothing that should cause drama..    

Chris's (ChrisGT4)  company are the makers of the product.   I will get Chris to chime in if he hasn't already seen this.

I have used it on the paint on our CX5 which is a metallic paint, when some chewing gum landed on the door.    Worked a treat, no problems, but with all the different protective coatings and sealers about nowadays, I wouldn't like to say it will clear the tar off without problems.   It's worth having a bottle on hand anyway and it's only a few dollars.

I know you don't need advice there but probably try it on a spot not visible and see how it goes.

I do know I use it for lots of things and it is a sensational product

@Simonk hi Simon, yes it’s safe to use on paint just make sure you rinse it with water thoroughly. It will strip off any wax so you will need to relax after use.

the active ingredient is orange oil which is comes from the peel of oranges and breaks down any oil based product.

hope that helps.

merry Christmas 

c

3 minutes ago, RedMan said:

Can anybody recommend products to clean insects, tar, rubber etc off clear PPF (Invisible Car Bras wrap)

Kero or wax and grease remover on a rag lightly rub off  ,,,,,,if you get any swirls in the PPF ,,give it a light polish with something like Autoglym super resin polish ,,,the polish alone is quite good a removing bugs and small tar spots ,,,,also found hot water on large bugs and a rag works well and softens up the bug bodies ..And I always finish up with a light hand polish ..

30 minutes ago, RedMan said:

Can anybody recommend products to clean insects, tar, rubber etc off clear PPF (Invisible Car Bras wrap)

De Solve It ...should work and as stated it's all natural so shouldn't cause any drama.   Worth a little try and see.   Just be gentle and don't rub hard.   It's magic is in the dissolving bit

The other product which was given to me by the Invisible Car Bra place when I had mine fitted is called VuPlex it is a plastic cleaner and anti static polish, which you spray on lightly, wipe off, and buff with a soft clean cloth.   That's it.  

I can't post photos for some reason but it comes in a bright blue container with orange writing and cap.   Can also be used on window tint film.

Virtually anything plastic, perspex, acrylics 

check the website at 

www.vuplex.co

Thanks for the suggestions Raven & Niko.

Niko, I have used VuPlex but haven't had good results.

I'll try the De Solve It first to see how it goes.

I use Bowden's Rubber Off on the track car but it doesn't work well on the PPF

49 minutes ago, RedMan said:

Thanks for the suggestions Raven & Niko.

Niko, I have used VuPlex but haven't had good results.

I'll try the De Solve It first to see how it goes.

I use Bowden's Rubber Off on the track car but it doesn't work well on the PPF

No worries, good luck with the De Solve I'm thinking it should be good.

5 hours ago, RedMan said:

Hi Gary, 

i wouldn’t use anything on the pp film that is petroleum based as it might soften the plastic film given its very thin. If you do then be sure you don’t let it dry and rinse it off with warm soapy water straight away. 

5 hours ago, Chris-p said:

Hi Gary, 

i wouldn’t use anything on the pp film that is petroleum based as it might soften the plastic film given its very thin. If you do then be sure you don’t let it dry and rinse it off with warm soapy water straight away. 

Do not use any of those products on  ppf!

If you do want to break down the chemical structure of your paint do not use turps etc or anything of that nature. 

Other options after track days etc is a clay bar, but for addressing immediate build up not long term, citrus or prepsol/trisol.  If Chris’s products as are a citrus based cleaner as per Nikos recommendation is spot on. (I love the citrus cleaners) 

Always reapply polish etc after that sort of treatment to ensure some form of protectant is going over the paint. Otherwise by stripping back waxes polish  etc and not reapplying exposes the surface to easier contamination. Which then becomes harder and wears the paint surface over time.