997 Carrera S farewell

I just traded in my black 2005 c2s for a manual R8. My 997 just turned up at classic throttle shop for $115k. I owned the 997 for 2 years but rarely took it out. It’s a nice clean example with a few over revs. 

After the initial excitement of owning my first Porsche the feeling faded and my love for the car was gone completely after 6 months. The car wasn’t nice to drive sure it handled well but the ride was poor and I just didn’t enjoy driving it at all.   I know performance cars ride hard but the car was very underwhelming.  I still own an Evo 6.5 tommi , rx7 spirit r , 2 door V5 sti and mk1 mx5. Out of all the cars I had the Porsche was the least pleasurable.

I’ll buy another Porsche one day probably a 964 or 997 gt3 rs. These should feel more special. 

The R8 rocks its a 2008 manual , sounds great and goes hard  much nicer than the Carrera.  Anyways that’s my ownership review of the 997.1 

1 hour ago, Mik001 said:

I just traded in my black 2005 c2s for a manual R8. My 997 just turned up at classic throttle shop for $115k. I owned the 997 for 2 years but rarely took it out. It’s a nice clean example with a few over revs. 

After the initial excitement of owning my first Porsche the feeling faded and my love for the car was gone completely after 6 months. The car wasn’t nice to drive sure it handled well but the ride was poor and I just didn’t enjoy driving it at all.   I know performance cars ride hard but the car was very underwhelming.  I still own an Evo 6.5 tommi , rx7 spirit r , 2 door V5 sti and mk1 mx5. Out of all the cars I had the Porsche was the least pleasurable.

I’ll buy another Porsche one day probably a 964 or 997 gt3 rs. These should feel more special. 

The R8 rocks its a 2008 manual , sounds great and goes hard  much nicer than the Carrera.  Anyways that’s my ownership review of the 997.1 

I totally agree with this.  The 997 is a perfect all rounder....which means at times it feels not quite special enough, until much further up the speed spectrum.  I think a few mods could easily dial out the everydayness but then you might as well get a 964 or back to the 70's if rawness is your thing.

Ouch but honest. I fluttered with a 997.1S for a brief amount of time.

I am not well experienced at all with performance cars so have nothing to compare to.

Prior i was in an SC.

The 997 was more comfy, faster, handled better but had the same DNA as the oldie.

I did feel it had two driving styles- one below 4k rpm and second was above. You could definitely nurse it like a daily and wring its neck come early sunday. 

Would be nice to taste a GT3 and Turbo to compare. 

Thanks for sharing your dud root experience. :)

Can I ask exactly what you mean by the ride was poor?

I'd consider my turbo being on the softer side with ride quality, back end digging in too much on hard cornering.

I've got a 350z and you can feel every pebble you go over...

Car presents like new though, really nice

Congrats on the R8

15 hours ago, Mik001 said:

how much did you get for the c2s?

feel free to PM

Did it have Sport Chrono? That makes a huge difference. PSE helps too.

I’m really not sure what you mean exactly by ‘ride was poor’, given you own an Evo 6.5, talk about rattle the teeth out of your head.

Anyway, happy R8 ownership. I intend to buy one at some point down the track too.

4 hours ago, Raven said:

Saw the car at the classic throttle shop .......beautiful example :)

It’s really clean.  I didn’t drive it much in the last 2 years so I’m sure it will need a few things done as it sat still for a while. 

3 hours ago, P said:

Can I ask exactly what you mean by the ride was poor?

I'd consider my turbo being on the softer side with ride quality, back end digging in too much on hard cornering.

I've got a 350z and you can feel every pebble you go over...

Car presents like new though, really nice

Congrats on the R8

The ride was hard as expected and the clutch heavy. It made it a bit tiresome when on a cruise. My wife always wanted us to take the Porsche out as it looked so good. But I’d always talk her out of it and grab the keys to the old Mx5 or Sti. 

The Spirit R ride is terrible bumpy and loud but somehow I find it more enjoyable to trash   

2 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

how much did you get for the c2s?

feel free to PM

It was a trade deal on the R8. They were offering only 80k. However I got about 20k off the R8 so change over wasn’t too bad. 

38 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Did it have Sport Chrono? That makes a huge difference. PSE helps too.

I’m really not sure what you mean exactly by ‘ride was poor’, given you own an Evo 6.5, talk about rattle the teeth out of your head.

Anyway, happy R8 ownership. I intend to buy one at some point down the track too.

It had sport Chrono which I never really used. It made the ride worse....I must be getting too old. 

3 minutes ago, Mik001 said:

It’s really clean.  I didn’t drive it much in the last 2 years so I’m sure it will need a few things done as it sat still for a while. 

The ride was hard as expected and the clutch heavy. It made it a bit tiresome when on a cruise. My wife always wanted us to take the Porsche out as it looked so good. But I’d always talk her out of it and grab the keys to the old Mx5 or Sti. 

The Spirit R ride is terrible bumpy and loud but somehow I find it more enjoyable to trash   

I have a 06 C2 S very similar car and spec black over sandy beige sports chrono manual  ,,,mine has almost 50,000 klm on it ..

Your car had a lot less stone chips and signs of road use than my car ,,,,,I dont think it will take long to sell that car its well priced and in very prestin condition ...........beautiful example ..

I love the ride of the 997, especially with PASM. Soft enough around town, and if you want to stiffen up on the track or over speed humps its there for when you need it.

I am sure you will enjoy the R8, amazing engine, and much more presence than the 911. Rare as well, especially in 6spd.

Archived