Where are all the 981 Cayman GTS's?

Hey guys, Long time lurker

I've been on the market for a 981 CGTS or highly optioned CS for quite some time now and have been observing for the last 6 months the lack of supply on the market - are people holding onto these or is it not the right time to list these things?

Anyway, just purchased an unlisted highly optioned,low k, CGTS from PCSS and couldn't be happier ... i just didn't have anything else to compare it to

I was looking for a 981 CGTS but also found they are few and far between. I'd guess there were only ever 50 or so sold with most people opting for the base or S or GT4 so you have a relatively rare car. 

Other problem I found was I couldn't find one with PTV/LSD and the after market LSD options on the PDK version seem limited or NA. 

Though depending on the style of driving you do you don't really need the PTV.

Best car I  found was a yellow 981 GTS in manual with PTV/LSD and ceramics, but I was after PDK. 

There was also a really nice Rhodium Silver CGTS last year with 16,500 kms that I liked that hung around for over six months before it sold for around the $125-130k mark. Again no PTV, but great buying IMO.

Porsche Sydney had a couple of red 918 CGTSs a while back but also no PTV. 

I've also seen some really nice S models for sale with amazingly low miles. 

Great that you were able to find one. What options and colour did you get. Any photos?

Welcome @Shtig and to 981 ownership - love to hear more details of your GTS purchase!

There are not many 981 Cayman S & GTS models in Australia - going from other threads on this form, the numbers are 197 for the S model (split 181 PDK & 16 man) and 90-95 for GTS model (incl. 10 man). Removing base S models from your search narrows the market further if you are after a highly optioned S model.

So to your question are owners holding onto these cars or not the right time to list, it is a combination of small numbers, great cars in absolute terms (so why sell?), and no obvious replacement when the 718 model have a very different appeal (at least to 981 owners).

@donR yeah I saw all of them.

My wife wouldn't drive a silver car so that rhodium one was out, but I was actually quite keen on it... Didnt bother to make contact with that but was surprised how long it stayed. 

I went to pcss to test drive the red GTS with 2 owner, 40k kms, since it was also up for a while, thought there was wiggle room, found out that there were 2 people in line (literally) after me to buy after my test drive so they weren't interested in negotiating, I passed and the guy after me bought it. 

Got a small from the sales guy who just sent me the pic attached of a car he just traded and I was instantly in love. Single owner, PDK,No PTV but vent/heated seats, sensors + camera(surprised how little cars have this option), folding mirrors, agate grey (it's really a black brown) full leather interior with white dials. All up apparently this car had about 35k in options above list. 18.5k kms. 98% happy, only wished the previous owner got the sports steering wheel (can be retrofit). 

@nytelferthanks for the info, didn't realise the GTS was such a rare car!

I test drove both the 718 and 981, there is no comparison, one felt like a quick car, other was a symphony of sound.

IMG_0642.jpg

Nice looking car!  I have the same in Carmine Red 😍

The CGTS are rare, I’m just coming up for my 12-month anniversary and I’ve been watching the market consistently for about 18-months.  Like you I also wanted PDK so some of the highly optioned cars on the market back in 2017-Early 2018 weren’t a good fit, likewise a GT4 wasn’t going to tick that box 🙄

I think the recent silver example was an oddity, I remember it having high KM, and I’ve heard of a few selling before they hit Carsales (yours included).

Anyway, great looking car!  I’ve certainly got no regrets, I’m sure you will love it...and yes I am jealous of your reversing camera! 😐

I think you will only ever see a drip feed now if these cars on the market. I have the base car and have been flirting with replacing it but struggle to find something to replace it with! 10yr old R8? $250k 911t? The 718, though a fine car, is not a replacement IMHO and the M2 is better value. Maybe the Alpine?

I would go a CGTS in a heartbeat. Well done on the purchase.  

I had a highly optioned manual that I bought new and sold after 12 months.  It was pretty hard to sell, and most that have been on the market seem to sit for ages.  Now that they have dropped significantly they are open to a new market segment which might help them sell quicker.

The manual is so involving, I just wouldn't buy PDK.  I have a 991.1 GT3 now and really yearn for a manual.  Just have to save the extra $100K to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived