The 996 search - The Chronicles of Ken

daveyoul

14 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Thanks @Morpheus, have really appreciated the wisdom of those in this group. Everyone has absolutely strengthened my resolve to find a car, and it has been helpful to chat when I'm getting frustrated! 

I know that more will come up, and the right one will be amongst them. 

When you do finally complete your search @daveyoul all I can say is you will be happy with your purchase,for the money spent on buying a 996 they are truly a great car to drive and own.Good luck with your search.

Now that everyone on here knows you are looking i am sure if one comes up that you like someone here can have a look for you. Be patient and also ready to pounce on the right car and maybe take an informed punt, i did and so far it has worked out for me, you will be very happy when you finally land one.

Actually... @Morpheus has helped me work out the mystery of one of the cars currently on Carsales: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5869747/?Cr=5 

It appeared on Carsales in January, at the same time as the seller posted on a Facebook group that he had just bought the car... blah blah. My question why he would purchase it and then list it for sale immediately after was never answered. But then I found this tonight: http://collectableclassiccars.com.au/sold-cars/just-arrived-1998-porsche-carrera-911 and suddenly it all made sense. 

Picked up for $50k, and list for $63 in the hope of making a quick buck. Seems a good spec too, LSD, sport seats etc. Good luck to him - just jealous it wasn't me who picked it up and has it in the garage. It wouldn't be for sale though! 

19 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Actually... @Morpheus has helped me work out the mystery of one of the cars currently on Carsales: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5869747/?Cr=5 

I test drove it for myself when it was at $55k mate. Great car and handled very well. Firm but not race car firm. This car is what convinced me I will own a 996 one day 

I'll add that there was no way we could know what the paint is like under the wrap, and to be honest, the interior colour, Savannah beige, just didn't look right with the pearl white. I've since seen a couple of 996's at Hangar Banger and love the colour

3 hours ago, daveyoul said:

Yes, I'm not completely sold on the beige interior either... but then again perhaps that's because I drive a beige 4wd with tan interior... 

... at least there's somewhere to hang my cardigan! 

Savannah beige interior cars need a black dash in my opinion. It's just too much and looks like R.M Williams fitted them out 😁 Can be dyed black easily enough though

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Savannah beige interior cars need a black dash in my opinion. It's just too much and looks like R.M Williams fitted them out 😁 Can be dyed black easily enough though

Hmm.. even less sure about that one. I think I'd prefer consistency. 

Even so, we all know you don't look at the colour while driving... oh wait... interior... 

Just make sure your RM Williams buckle doesn't mark the leather! 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

If a car was cheap enough, and I mean CHEAP, I could live with it for a while, though it would definitely receive the dye treatment eventually 

Oh come on - six million Americans can't be wrong...…. They love their baby sh - er - savannah with wood highlights !!

19 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Oh come on - six million Americans can't be wrong...…. They love their baby sh - er - savannah with wood highlights !!

Americans invented bad taste... and I'm not an American 😁

24 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Oh, don't start on wood inlays in a 911. The millennium edition is a great car... with an interior only an owner would love. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good mahogany interior, or a burr walnut veneer, IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Coming from a long line of Jaguar fanatics (don't judge me - its genetic - I was born this way) I love me wood in a Jag! (Oh wait... that didn't come out right...)

But having more wood in a 911 than a 1982 XJ-S just isn't right baby.  

17 hours ago, LeeM said:

I test drove it for myself when it was at $55k mate. Great car and handled very well. Firm but not race car firm. This car is what convinced me I will own a 996 one day 

I'll add that there was no way we could know what the paint is like under the wrap, and to be honest, the interior colour, Savannah beige, just didn't look right with the pearl white. I've since seen a couple of 996's at Hangar Banger and love the colour

I test drove that one I reckon up at collectable classics?

If it wasnt that one it was bloody similar - but had black decals on the side. 

As you say - you have no idea what the paint is like under the wrap. 

Nice car - just bloody terrible colour combo. Green and savannah beige have not aged well. I remember it feeling very orange inside. 

I like the look of this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-16757465/

Similar to my car, but manual and a rebuilt engine. 

7 minutes ago, firecall999 said:

I like the look of this one: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-16757465/

Yes, I like that one too - it is growing on me. Looks to be in very nice condition, and as you say, engine rebuild (if done well) is a positive thing. 

Still a stretch too far for my budget at this point. 

13 minutes ago, firecall999 said:

I test drove that one I reckon up at collectable classics?

If it wasnt that one it was bloody similar - but had black decals on the side. 

As you say - you have no idea what the paint is like under the wrap. 

Nice car - just bloody terrible colour combo. Green and savannah beige have not aged well. I remember it feeling very orange inside. 

Same car mate. 

The silver one has been discussed here on previous pages at length. I was hoping to get there today to have another look, but got called into work so I will try and look tomorrow. It is a clean car though 

55 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Oh, don't start on wood inlays in a 911. The millennium edition is a great car... with an interior only an owner would love. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good mahogany interior, or a burr walnut veneer, IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Coming from a long line of Jaguar fanatics (don't judge me - its genetic - I was born this way) I love me wood in a Jag! (Oh wait... that didn't come out right...)

But having more wood in a 911 than a 1982 XJ-S just isn't right baby.  

Did I hear Millennium !! This was my car back in 2004. Colour  combo looked better in the flesh and suited the era. But I must admit after looking at that photo now, its very much in your face 🙂

porsche100_0521 (1).JPG