The 996 search - The Chronicles of Ken

daveyoul

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Did I hear Millennium !! This was my car back in 2004. Colour  combo looked better in the flesh and suited the era. But I must admit after looking at that photo now, its very much in your face 🙂

porsche100_0521 (1).JPG

Had plans to buy a 996 turbo in seal grey and boxster red interior.  Just a view but like full  boxster red, if you replace the  carpet on that car ( all including on the doors) in black, transforms the look of the car.

20 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Had plans to buy a 996 turbo in seal grey and boxster red interior.  Just a view but like full  boxster red, if you replace the  carpet on that car ( all including on the doors) in black, transforms the look of the car.

So agree Tony, I've had 3 Boxster red ints and all except one, the carpet goes pink. Black floormats essential. All of them had contrasting black bits and extensively on the dash and door trims and looked great.

Someone a few posts back mentioned Green over tan 996 int and funnily enough I'm not a fan of tans BUT at HB2 I came across a 996TT Green over tan and remarked to the missus geez you don't see that colour combo in a 996, especially a turbo, I'm not a fan. Then I walked around the next cheese vat and wine storage and Boom! there's another TT exactly the same hahah.

The more I looked at it and digested the colours the more I liked it and thought amongst all the black and silvers over black interiors of the 2000 to 2015 era it'll grow into it's colours and in 5 or 10 years will be a great combo and a stand out (for all the right reasons)

46 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

So agree Tony, I've had 3 Boxster red ints and all except one, the carpet goes pink. Black floormats essential. All of them had contrasting black bits and extensively on the dash and door trims and looked great.

Someone a few posts back mentioned Green over tan 996 int and funnily enough I'm not a fan of tans BUT at HB2 I came across a 996TT Green over tan and remarked to the missus geez you don't see that colour combo in a 996, especially a turbo, I'm not a fan. Then I walked around the next cheese vat and wine storage and Boom! there's another TT exactly the same hahah.

The more I looked at it and digested the colours the more I liked it and thought amongst all the black and silvers over black interiors of the 2000 to 2015 era it'll grow into it's colours and in 5 or 10 years will be a great combo and a stand out (for all the right reasons)

Yeah and if I recall minty in colour and condition and  at a very non minty price  starting with a 6 if we are talking the same car.

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Rainforest green I think … 

Image result for porsche 996 green and tan

Nothing wrong with that. If I had that,  swap the seats out for hardback sport seats done in  tan with the hardback in rainforest green ( paint  if budget allows or a vinyl wrap),  black carpet all round and wrap  the  three front dashboard  strips  in piano black (screw 300 pounds for 3 oem strips and a fair bit of labour to install them) . If on a budget your more adventurous you could  do the center console in rainforest green as  when the hardback seats are either sprayed or wrapped. 

Time for an update... 

As some already are aware from my post in the values topic, I acted quickly yesterday and have secured myself a 2000 C4 Man Coupe, at what I think is, a pretty good price. 

Pick up day should be tomorrow, but to keep you happy before then... 

47232910121_4239bf2267_b.jpg

9 hours ago, daveyoul said:

Time for an update... 

As some already are aware from my post in the values topic, I acted quickly yesterday and have secured myself a 2000 C4 Man Coupe, at what I think is, a pretty good price. 

That's a fantastic deal for a manual coupe and the car looks great!

As mentioned, the purchase price gives you some play money, keep us updated on how it turns out.

39 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Time for an update... 

47232910121_4239bf2267_b.jpg

Love those wheels!!

@TwoHeadsTas, yes they are pretty nice, and “only” 18s too, so not silly big as many love to do now.

@Stepo that’s exactly right. Took a bit of a risk, but there’s plenty of budget left in the kitty, and the minister is happy about that.

@Troubleshooter yep very stoked. Not much work happening today, looking forward to tomorrow afternoon.

1 minute ago, daveyoul said:

@TwoHeadsTas, yes they are pretty nice, and “only” 18s too, so not silly big as many love to do now.

Believe me, that's very important.  Ride on my 18's on my 996.2 far more comfortable than than the 19's that were on our 987.  That extar bit of sidewall is great for soaking up the bumps.....

Ok, so time for a bit more of an update. 

So I've taken a fair bit of a punt on this one, and probably ignored most of the best advice I've been given. 

• PPI? Nope
  • FSH? Nope - old mate doesn't even know where the books are. I might never get them. Don't even know when the last oil change was. 

But wasn't it advertised as a 3.6? 

Yes, but the receipt on the invoice for the engine swap stated only a 3.4, so I suspect it is still only a 3.4. The drive felt like a 3.4, there wasn't any extra torque that I'd expect from a 3.6. The good part of that, however, is that I have a receipt for both the new engine number, and the chassis number of the car it came out of. That's some consolation I guess! Allegedly has an IMS upgrade in the new engine, BUT... (yep, you guessed it) no paperwork for that.

But then I've followed some other advice. 

• Be ready, with cash, for when a bargain appears
  • Don't over think it - just buy one, you'll love it. 

The Drive... 

The test drive was probably about 25 minutes in and around Camden. A reasonable mix of suburban and slightly country roads. Suspension felt good, no rattles or noises over any of the many potholes and patchwork roads. Pulled a little to the left, but likely an alignment issue. Has some kind of aftermarket exhaust on it, but not sure what flavour. Sounds reasonably good - will get it up on the hoist when I get home to check it out some more. 

Gearbox felt good, if a little vague - as I'd probably expect for a 20yo car. Probably easily improved with some cables, bearings etc. 

Aircon works well. 

Has a new VDO head unit, which looks very nice and is in keeping with the period of the car. A nice little bonus. 

Got a wave from a guy in a 991 GT3... that's gotta be a sign right?

After the drive... 

No untoward noises coming from the engine, but evidence of a little oil seepage from somewhere (Jaguar owners call this rust proofing). Exterior presents very well. Some small blemishes and a few marks, but nothing too bad. Front spoiler looks like a GT3 style bar - nice! The wheels - may not be to everyone's tastes (and that's ok), but I think I quite like them. Given the car has near 260000km, it is never going to be a concours car, so some non-standard parts are fine with me. I'll leave them for a while and see if I grow to love.. or grow bored. 

Slow to re-start, think a new battery might be on the horizon very soon. At the very least I'll be finding those emergency trunk releases asap. 

The history... 

What I know is that the dealer sold the car on Consignment for the owner - who owns a tyre joint down that way. He is an older fella, who is now having trouble getting in and out etc, but has had the car for a while (10yr +) and loved it. His version of loving a car looks a little different to mine, however it reminds me of my grandfather's old XJ-S. As he got older, he did a couple of dodgy things to fix up some blemishes. Still, he did the best he could at the time, and this feels like that. 

I'll keep chasing him for some things like the books, and second key, but am at peace if I never get them. 

The dealer... 

Put some pressure on to get there quickly, citing many other enquiries which I don't doubt. Fair play to them, however, they had the car ready for me when I got there, and honoured the original price advertised on Carsales, having jacked it up while I was in the car on the way out. Didn't once try to fudge it on me. 

So, I took a punt, and bought "Ken". Can't wait to get him home tomorrow afternoon and have a play over the weekend. I'll post some more photos (if I'm not too busy driving and playing)... but to keep the punters happy for now, here are a few more. 

40271010533_97a5584450_b.jpg

Not so sure about the droopy downy tailpipes... it's a bit 90's doof doof for me. 

32293885177_23c7c90d85_b.jpg

A little discolouration on the lens itself (not the plastic). Hopefully they can be pulled apart and cleaned...???

32293887687_33b3d924b2_b.jpg

GT3 / Aero style front bar? 

46512482374_faf3d924c4_b.jpg

Interior bling. Some cracking evident on the acrylic coating over the carbon - that's a repair project. 

47236052451_55b7242775_b.jpg

And finally, some wheely goodness for @TwoHeadsTas

So looking forward to tomorrow - hoping to not uncover any surprises on the drive home! 

Thanks to all for your encouragement - this is only the beginning! 

25 minutes ago, Stepo said:

He put some good rubber on as you’d expect, P Zero👍

When you get sick of the noise of the P Zero's you can try some PS2s for a bit of quiet.....

Wheels still look OK from direct side on, keep'em till you want to change to something different, then keep them for some track rubber....

Great looking buy..  I bought my 996 without a PPI and it's been great.  It had an engine swap earlier in its life as well, but the PO put 11k of work into it (including IMS solution) just before I bought it so I felt some what at ease.  I reckon if it, goes, looks and smells right, then generally your onto a good thing.!

Enjoy it, and you'll only get to love it more, and many more people are.!  And I reckon  the rims are great.  ;)

No IMS sticker in the door jam or a tell tale oil feeder line (solution) forward of sump..?

Thanks all for the feedback and encouragement - what a great community to be a part of! 

@Stepo yes, noticed the PZero on the rear. Vaguely remember it was a different brand on the front, but also a quality tyre. 

@LeeM thanks mate. I have a good feeling about it - and know that even if the worst happens, I've got plenty of budget left and we'll just deal with it as it happens! Also makes me more willing to spin some spanners on it myself and just have a go.

@Troubleshooter ... plenty of carbon bits to rub. Just hope I don't go blind in the process. 

@TwoHeadsTas yes, have had PS2s on a previous ride and thought they were a great tyre. Will be more than happy to put them on again. And yes, the thought of keeping those for track rubber with some turbo twists or equivalent for daily use has occurred already. :) 

Thanks @WOKA, I've read the thread documenting your purchase journey a couple of times, and it is one of the things that has inspired and encouraged me to "just get one". 

Today's set to be the longest day ever I think! Got some work to do this morning, then my best mate is going to pick me up (probably in his 996 C2 of exactly the same colour as mine) and head down to pick it up. Yes, we'll probably look like w@nkers in our matchy matchy Porsches... but I'm ok with that! :D 

8 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

But neither available in 285/30/18 which is specified 10" rear size?

Actually tyre size is an interesting thing. I'm expecting that the wheels on the rear are at least 10" - and the tyres are only 265. Yes, they do look a little stretched. Would have thought if you own a tyre shop, you'd be able to put on the right size tyres at least... :rolleyes:

All part of the adventure. 

14 hours ago, daveyoul said:

• PPI? Nope
  • FSH? Nope - old mate doesn't even know where the books are. I might never get them. Don't even know when the last oil change was.  

Nothing to worry about Dave, I bought mine off ebay, sight unseen, no books, nuthin', 3 years in and I love it even more than I did at the start. Had to put a bit of coin in at the start but since then, 20,000k later it's just been regular maintenance...but oh boy if you drive it, which you will, they do chew through rear tyres.

Going to Hangarbanger really made me appreciate the 996, whereas a few years ago taking the 996 to a Porsche event I felt like the fat spotty kid at a new school. Now I think a nicely stanced/shod early 996 coupe in a good colour combo is one of the nicest looking 911's...there you go I've said it!