The 996 search - The Chronicles of Ken

daveyoul

16 minutes ago, JWM said:

If it makes you feel better, I am just doing the same list after hearing a noisy lifter... 

Based on you, me and @PIC doing the same, I'd say PFA is singlehandedly preserving a large percentage of the 996 fleet in Australia right now... Truly inspirational stuff that future generations of bad headlight lovers will thank us for... 😂 

I think your car might be at the same "Whisperer" as mine? I know there's currently another 996 there undergoing some surgery. 

40 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

I think your car might be at the same "Whisperer" as mine? I know there's currently another 996 there undergoing some surgery. 

Quite possibly? Mine's in at Autohaus. I went for a bit of a look at the WIP yesterday. Well worth doing the same if you have the time, interesting to see.

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

Quite possibly? Mine's in at Autohaus. I went for a bit of a look at the WIP yesterday. Well worth doing the same if you have the time, interesting to see.

Yep, mine's there too. They offered to show my the equivalent to my offending pipe on your car before mine came out if I wanted. 

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Thanks @GC9911 - that does make me feel a little better - at least this one has lasted 266000km!

I think there are also some brake lines above the engine that should be inspected for rot if the motor ever comes out. This is very important on an ex-UK 996, but less of an issue on local cars.

On 09/08/2019 at 08:47, daveyoul said:

I blame my last post. 

Everything was going so well... the sun was (metaphorically) shining, we'd just done close to 2000km in a week and the relationship blossoming. Tucked up inside the garage (although not yet washed) for the week and looking forward to getting out again for a blast through the mountains with PCNSW. Forecast is for snow - no problems for a C4! 

Open the garage on Wednesday evening and Ken's disgraced himself. Pool of red wee below his hind leg. Upon topping up the coolant the drip started again - but there was no way I could find where it was coming from. Above, below, mirror etc... no idea. Dropped it down to the local Porsche Whisperer, and hoped for the best. Surely it was just a hose I couldn't see, maybe a crack in the tank (although it looks fairly new). 

Hear back from The Whisperer at lunch and the news isn't good. Seems there's a solid coolant pipe that goes from the reservoir to some evil and wretched location towards the front of the car. A crack in the offending pipe is causing the leak. However, due to the wisdom of Hans when he designed the path of the pipe, the whole engine needs to be removed to replace the one bloody pipe. 

CRAP - This is going to cost me a reasonable little runabout. 

Not just due to the cost of the repair per se - but of course while the engine is out, we might as well look at... *ahem*

IMS
Clutch
Flywheel
AOS
RMS...

Oh, and can you have a listen to those couple of noises on cold start too... 

On the bright side - they will probably wash it for me when they are done! 

If you're looking for me, I'll be curled up in a foetal position in the corner sucking my thumb. 👍

Dave, without wishing to soil your trousers any more than they already are, whilst your engine's out might be a good idea to replace the chain tensioners (or at least clean and test them), variocam pads and maybe the 4th and 5th chains. I'll shut up now.

2 hours ago, daveyoul said:

You guys are as funny as a screen door on a submarine... REAL helpful!! 😂😝

Before I know it I'll have a full "precautionary" rebuild... where do you stop?!!??

Not too late to drop this in instead and probably a good stopping point.  Bonus is when you sell the car, take the wrenching hit and put your current engine back in.  I am sure someone around the world be in need of one when the time comes 

Screenshot_20190811-094318_Messages.jpg

Haha...yeah nah. 

Have driven plenty of properly fast cars, yet keep coming back to something with usable performance. More and more I appreciate driving a good NA engine. Sure, it isn't as fast, but I reckon more than fast enough, and you can enjoy the way the engine develops the power through the rev range. 

@JWM have you got yours back yet? Can you sit down or still in too much discomfort from the damage to the hip pocket? 

32 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

@JWM have you got yours back yet? Can you sit down or still in too much discomfort from the damage to the hip pocket? 

Got a call from Chris this afternoon saying it’s all done. I’ve been home, crook as with a cold or flu or something for the last few days, hoping to be feeling up to getting in to work for a while, then going to collect it in the arvo, tomorrow  

You’re not wrong about the hip pocket pain... but what can you do. Right now I’m just thinking about how much I’m looking forward to getting back in the drivers seat!

Any word yet on when they’ll have the parts to finish yours?

Yes, I've only been without mine for a week, and already looking forward to getting back behind the wheel. 

I haven't actually spoken to them since late last week - figure the parts were a 2 week trip from Germany, so I wouldn't bother them. 

You will probably see my car there somewhere - it is the filthy dirty black one looking sad! 

Hope you're feeling better! 

@daveyoul I went in yesterday, still feeling more than a little average, so to be honest I didn’t notice much of anything that was in the workshop. All the Panadeine might have also helped numb the pain of paying for it all too. 😄

If your car is like mine when you pick it up, mate you are in for a real treat. Feels like a new car after everything’s been done. My clutch was not too bad they said, but wow the new one is effortless to use, goes a long way to making the whole car feel “lighter” and more fun to drive. 

So it was a fruitful afternoon at the whisperer. 

Viewed the offending alloy pipe and the pin hole that caused this mess in the first place. It seems as though whoever replaced the coolant tank installed it resting on top of the pipe, which has caused the wear and subsequent hole. Pipe replaced and new tank (correctly installed) should put that one to bed. 

So, to other business... 

1. Seems that clutch has little wear - no point replacing that
  2. Pressure plate - clean bill of health
  3. Flywheel - excellent condition
  4. #winning
  5. IMS - has been replaced at some point - going to inspect and remove seal to allow oil in. The whisperer advises not worth replacing.
  6. Water pump has a slight stain on it - they are going to price it and leave to me whether I bother. 
  7. AOS and RMS - might as well do both while engine is out
  8. Coil packs are cracked - replace these and plugs
  9. They aren't concerned with the startup noises - not worth doing anything for now. 
  10. Alternator clutch not working - to be replaced. This could be the cause of charge rate dropping as car gets warm. Alternator effectively working too hard and overheating. 
  11. A few other hoses etc to be replace - starting to get old and bulge a little
  12. Might do rear suspension arms - will depend on price. 
  13. Filters etc replaced, as well as engine mounts and gearbox mount. 

So, all in all, I'm pretty happy about that. Happy because the damage to hip pocket is limited, but also because there's a clear explanation for the issue in the first place. Whisperer will send me some prices tomorrow and I'll decide how many of the optionals we do now, and what get's left for 'ron. 

Looking forward to getting it back now - assuming it won't take too long for them to sort and get all back together. 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked Ken up from the whisperer earlier this week. Following the inspection, and subsequent pricing 😱the following was done:

• Originally offending water pipe
  • Expansion tank
  • Couple of other hoses and a new thermostat
  • Engine and transmission mounts
  • Alternator pulley clutch, along with other serpentine belt, pulleys etc
  • Tailshaft rubber
  • All coils and plugs
  • AOS
  • RMS
  • Clutch fork
  • Few other seals
  • Pollen filter
  • Air filter
  • Fuel filter
  • And a new key

I'm very grateful that they determined IMS and clutch etc could stay, as I'm going to have trouble sitting down for a few weeks as it is! 

The cause of the problem in the first place, was an ill-fitted expansion tank. It was rubbing on the coolant pipe as you can see in the picture below, and eventually the plastic wore a hole in the alloy pipe. You can just see the tiny pin prick (with prick being the operative word..) hole in the middle of the shiny part. 

48644833736_694f402d62_z.jpg

This is the route that the pipe takes... helps to understand why the engine needed to come out!

48644822471_5e7a49ca6d_z.jpg

48644963662_4028cfac16_z.jpg

Ken felt pretty good to drive on the way home from the whisperer, but haven't really had a chance for a proper drive yet. If I'm honest, I'm a little apprehensive about finding another problem now - I'm sure that feeling will dissipate in direct relation to each km I travel, but the fear is real. 

Couldn't resist stealing this pic from the Facebook page of the whisperer. Ken in good company... 

48644968157_5ba3392f66_z.jpg 

Now, if only this rain would stop... time to get out and drive! 

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Now, if only this rain would stop... time to get out and drive! 

I can only imagine what you got charged for that job, i would guess you could buy a cheap 'ish car for the same amount though............

• 2 months later...

Time for a Ken update as we've now had over 10,000km worth of bonding and getting to know each other. 

Over the last month or so I've had the pleasure of going on a decent run with the PCNSW and also out to Mudgee for a weekend with a bunch of mates, and have continued to be impressed. Once out onto some country roads where you can stretch the legs a little and lean into a corner you realise how capable these cars are. Whether you're slicing through some faster corners, using the torque in 4th or 5th, or getting proper into it stretching 2nd and 3rd and feeling the power rise simultaneously with the revs, hard on the brakes, through a corner to do it all again, he just begs for more. 

Thankfully there have been no more... ahem... surprises, and he is earning back lost trust and respect. Also at the point where I'm starting to fix up some of the little cosmetic jobs that need to be done - high stop light was replaced a week ago as the original was cracked and in a number of pieces. Some interior pieces to be done next, particularly the dome light lens, surround and sunroof buttons. 

Have also spent a bit of time under the rear tidying and cleaning things up. You can't really see from any of the earlier pics, but the whole rear / underside of the car was painted in a black "proofcoat" type of substance. Whole exhaust. sump, suspension arms etc... everything. Up on the hoist - scraping, polishing, buffing, scouring, polishing again - we've made some progress returning some semblance of class under there. Still plenty to be done, but progress is progress. 

Bring on the next 10,000km I say! 

Gratuitous pics...

1. Leading bunch of mates through Wollombi - before roadworks and looking shiny. 

49073096472_ab3d971796_z.jpg

2. Photo stop at Sofala next day - after roadworks - of course we arrived just behind the water truck...

49099367522_7369ded7e5_z.jpg

Yeah, thanks @LeeM - it's funny y'know, I've had a number of cars through the years, purchases 2nd (or more) hand, and seem to have a knack of picking them up with different/interesting/nice wheels. 

In the 90s I picked up this AW11 MR2, had loved them since they were released and I was a pimply faced teenager in high school. Just happened to have some pretty nice rims on it: 

411781166_2074749e55_z.jpg

Then in the "noughties" this RX8 filled the driveway. It was already adorned with some tasty enhancements, like AP Racing brakes... and the wheels which are not too dissimilar to Ken's. 

2977155115_0314bd1358_z.jpg

I think I'll still get a set of twists at some point for Ken, maybe with some sticky rubber, but for daily duties, I'm pretty happy with the look.