The 996 search - The Chronicles of Ken

daveyoul

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Actually tyre size is an interesting thing. I'm expecting that the wheels on the rear are at least 10" - and the tyres are only 265. Yes, they do look a little stretched. Would have thought if you own a tyre shop, you'd be able to put on the right size tyres at least... :rolleyes:

All part of the adventure. 

Perhaps he had them "in stock" in that size.....

Well done @daveyoul !! Just enjoy it mate! They are fantastic cars. As @LeeM noted earlier I have recently gone with Nankang NS2R semi slicks and am really enjoying the grip (1000% over the old continentals I had, but there’s a longer story also). Unfortunately I have the stock 17inch rims so I can’t help with what would fit your rims.

Congrats in your purchase and hope you get to drive it as much as you can - heat here in Adelaide has left mine in the garage for most of the week (GTI’s aircon is much better, and auto with the Clipsal traffic.....)

So Ken and I have had the past 24 hours getting to know each other. After taking 2.5 hours to drive the 95km to Camden to pick him up, the journey home seemed ever too short. It was great to have the my mate who is partially responsible for this whole shebang take me down there in his 996, which gave me the opportunity to experience 2 cars in short succession. Initial impressions on the drive home: 

• Still pulls left, need to get that alignment looked at in the near future. 
  • Small vibration issue at about 110 and above - probably a balance issue in the rear. Similar to my mate's 996, perhaps a little worse. 
  • The exhaust is louder than I remember, and louder than the gundo hacked I enjoyed on the way down. That's a good thing. 
  • The M2 tunnel is my new favourite place

After the obligatory test drive with the rest of the family, and put the kids into bed, I took the finance minister to the garage to appreciate our investment (pun intended)

• It was better than she expected! (Win)
  • She was really impressed (Huge win)
  • "I really like it"
  • When exploring under the false floor in the front, she remarked - what's in that Mercedes Benz bag? Turned out to be handbook, service records etc.. (Biggest win)

Today, in the light of day, Ken has been rubbed, poked, caressed, prodded and rubbed some more: 

• Body is better than I thought - seriously, it is so bloody straight. The thing might have never seen a parking lot! 
  • Those 259000km have been kind
  • I'm paranoid about noises. Was that a rattle? A knock? Did someone fart? 
  • A clay bar and quick polish later, and the thing looks a million bucks. 
  • I like the wheels. They are next to receive some love, but look great. Massive offset, but fill the guards nicely.
  • GT3 style front bar is also great. 
  • The neighbours are enjoying the exhaust. (No, they don't have a choice in the matter.)
  • See that Porsche in the driveway? ... That's mine :) 
  • I need new number plates
  • There are a few little things that need fixing, but really... time to get in it and drive. 

Due to my paranoia, I am going to book it in and get a Post Pre Purchase Inspection - just to have some peace of mind, and know what I'm up for in the next while. Heck, I might even just throw an IMS Solution at it anyway! 

47255039871_3a83139122_b.jpg

47203201892_7f700cb1c3_b.jpg

Looks great - If it was mine, yes I would do the IMS & get the timing exactly right, especially for those Ks.

The shimmy is probably a worn suspension bushing. Find an experienced 996 expert who can pick it straight off. Coffin Arms maybe?

Haha with the neighbours & noise. I thought my neighbours would get used to my 911 but they havent & they still hate it. Snide comments about "when are you going to sell that tractor". We live near a kindergarten and the young boys seem interested, sometimes stop & look; before their mothers snatch them away from the noisy BAD influence.

Looks very tidy. I'm of the view you should spend a few $ now and get the car sorted (not that it seems to need that much). That way you won't be annoyed by the little things. I did that when I purchased my 996 and fixed an window that would need to be dropped into positon after closing the door, and replacing my radio as it's buttons had peeled. Also check the age on your tyres ... not that a 200km car is likely to have original tyres.

Well landed Dave , kens responded well to a spit n polish. Good to see an avid searcher jump in , caution to the wind and actually open the wallet. Who dares wins huh! Been quite a few guys on here over the years who actively search for their first Pcar, trying to overturn a rock for a gem, but seem to drop off, or never report a win, and just fade off never to be heard of again. Aaaah that excitement of the landed prize, nothing quite like it. Make sure your’e up early and into the hills to give Ken a spanking 😎

2 hours ago, daveyoul said:

Due to my paranoia, I am going to book it in and get a Post Pre Purchase Inspection - just to have some peace of mind, and know what I'm up for in the next while. Heck, I might even just throw an IMS Solution at it anyway! 

I've bought a couple of cars sight unseen without inspections ... when o get it done, I've named them ... API

PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection             API = After Purchase Inspection

My Porsche dude just shakes his head ... :Chuckle2:

2 hours ago, MARTY said:

@daveyoul car looks great mate spend the extra $$ and get that ims done,enjoy the driving experience 

two must dos if not done recently 1) engine mounts, 2) tranny mounts   3. Any factory  997 shifter variant. Eg 997 stock  997 short shifter 997 gt3 short shifter depending on how you like your throws. 

On 03/03/2019 at 07:50, Tips said:

@daveyoul if your metro based you may want to join the Pcar story telling session as the boys always love a new story over a couple of drinks 

Thanks @Tips will see how I go. If not this one, definitely in the future. Love to meet some folk. 

Thanks to everyone else as well. I'll book in for an "API" (thanks @Dreamr) - just need to choose which of the well known independent Porsche workshops near me I'll choose. Spoilt for choice! 

Will also arrange for the IMS to be done shortly - I'd be crazy not to. 

For now... enjoying every second of the driving experience!

• 2 weeks later...

So today is the day of the API (After Purchase Inspection) - Autohaus Hamilton were chosen to give Ken the once over and tell me what I've got myself in for. 

To say I'm feeling paranoid and nervous would be an understatement. I'm looking forward to finding out, but I keep having the "but what ifs"... 

Anyway, time will tell and whatever the outcome, the reality is that I'll just deal with whatever is there, one thing at a time. :) 

11 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

So today is the day of the API (After Purchase Inspection) - Autohaus Hamilton were chosen to give Ken the once over and tell me what I've got myself in for. 

To say I'm feeling paranoid and nervous would be an understatement. I'm looking forward to finding out, but I keep having the "but what ifs"... 

Anyway, time will tell and whatever the outcome, the reality is that I'll just deal with whatever is there, one thing at a time. :) 

I'm a fan of AH.  They will tell it like it is......

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm a fan of AH.  They will tell it like it is......

As long as they find everything which isn't always the case.

I was from Interstate and buying a non AC car which appeared to make all the difference :(

Hey Dave.. I used to be a regular round these parts but had to sell my old P car.. but in another year or so I'll be trcking down a 996 too.

Just wanted to say you sound like a real character and have enjoyed your journey into p car ownership immensely.  Hope the API went ok and look forward to watching your relationship with Ken blossum :P   

So the API results are in. 

Drumroll please... 

Aside from a few small items, and some ongoing wear items to be seen to in time, Ken has been given a clean bill of health. 🎉I think I'm going to do an oil change in the next few weeks. The dealer said they did one, but I think I'd rather know it is done, and know what oil is in it. Good opportunity to check out the filter carefully at the same time. 

Other than that, the instructions from AH were to just drive and enjoy. They weren't pushing me at all to do the IMSB, so I think I'm going to drive it for 6 months, then book it in for a good service with them, get a few of the items noted on the "API" seen to, and attend to the IMSB at that point in time. 

Thanks @amanda, don't wait too long on the 996 purchase! The word is out and they are becoming harder and harder to find. :) 

I had to come back to work tonight for a few hours - hadn't driven Ken since the API, so was having withdrawals and brought him out, even though it looks like more rain. Car gets dirty... car gets cleaned. Didn't buy a 911 to have it sit in the garage. It's a car... drive the bloody thing! :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had my 996 (when I owned one) checked out by Autohause . They never said anything about the IMS either. I asked them about it and at the time they said that they have only ever seen 1 example of a fail , and it was on a car that was regulary tracked...

i never had mine done, and gave my Carrera a great time in the high rev range often. 

ill have to start my own thread shortly... 

my 997s is totaled after a head butt with a pole at 80plus k an hour a couple weeks ago. Devastated ...

plucky I wasn’t hurt 

i will be looking after I get back from the Isle of Man next month 

enjoy your 996, they are great cars