daveyoul

The 996 search

1 hour ago, raafrebel2 said:

I had my 996 (when I owned one) checked out by Autohause . They never said anything about the IMS either. I asked them about it and at the time they said that they have only ever seen 1 example of a fail , and it was on a car that was regulary tracked...

i never had mine done, and gave my Carrera a great time in the high rev range often. 

ill have to start my own thread shortly... 

my 997s is totaled after a head butt with a pole at 80plus k an hour a couple weeks ago. Devastated ...

plucky I wasn’t hurt 

i will be looking after I get back from the Isle of Man next month 

enjoy your 996, they are great cars 

Oh no, sorry to hear about your 997! What happened? 

Trying to think whether I have any updates on Ken...

Oh... new plates have been ordered, "Ken" won't be KEN for much longer. 

I've added a discreet charging input so I can keep him charged in the garage. 

I'm sick of the VDO head unit already. It looks good during the day when the car's off, but that's about it. The bright blue backlight stands out like the proverbial during the day... and doesn't dim at night. So that will be removed in the not too distant future. Hopefully for something that has similar period looks, but with some better detail. 

Got a half full cart at Suncoast with bits and pieces hopefully close that off in the next week or so and get it delivered. 

Aside from that, I think I'm just driving it. Had a meeting in the southern highlands last week and I had a little spare time after. So I did what any sane person would do... took a quick squirt down to Kangaroo Valley and back. I was relatively well behaved (of course) but had a great time bonding, learning about how Ken likes to be driven. The flat 6 sound echoing off the walls was amazing. Had 2 cars pull over for me to pass on the way down, and a totally clear run on the way back up. 

So much fun. :)

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Oh no, sorry to hear about your 997! What happened? 

Trying to think whether I have any updates on Ken...

Oh... new plates have been ordered, "Ken" won't be KEN for much longer. 

I've added a discreet charging input so I can keep him charged in the garage. 

I'm sick of the VDO head unit already. It looks good during the day when the car's off, but that's about it. The bright blue backlight stands out like the proverbial during the day... and doesn't dim at night. So that will be removed in the not too distant future. Hopefully for something that has similar period looks, but with some better detail. 

Got a half full cart at Suncoast with bits and pieces hopefully close that off in the next week or so and get it delivered. 

Aside from that, I think I'm just driving it. Had a meeting in the southern highlands last week and I had a little spare time after. So I did what any sane person would do... took a quick squirt down to Kangaroo Valley and back. I was relatively well behaved (of course) but had a great time bonding, learning about how Ken likes to be driven. The flat 6 sound echoing off the walls was amazing. Had 2 cars pull over for me to pass on the way down, and a totally clear run on the way back up. 

So much fun. :)

I reckon the Continental is the go for a replacement for the radio.  Looks to be reasonable price, and display is orange to match.  http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/  May be cheaper on Ebay perhaps????  Comes in Bluetooth version etc

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I reckon the Continental is the go for a replacement for the radio.  Looks to be reasonable price, and display is orange to match.  http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/  May be cheaper on Ebay perhaps????  Comes in Bluetooth version etc

Yes! That's exactly the right style. Thanks!