Is this legal??? (License plate placement)

Whilst trying to de-clutter my front-end... Is it legal to install my license plate lower than what is expected on this model?

Searched VicRoads websites and I only see a 45 degree rule visibility from top. 

Also when I see the old 911s with the plate angled down and very low near the ground, I think this could work.

Any thoughts?

4B25229F-EDEB-429C-A53D-150B39520B27.jpeg

6FDD04A4-9781-40F6-9653-E1F50D6A5737.jpeg

No answer on legality from me.  I have a question though.  Does positioning the plate lower cover any more of the openings in the fascia?   These things are designed and tested ad nauseum for optimal air flow. Messing with it can adversely affect your cooling etc. 

9 minutes ago, Harvs11 said:

No answer on legality from me.  I have a question though.  Does positioning the plate lower cover any more of the openings in the fascia?   These things are designed and tested ad nauseum for optimal air flow. Messing with it can adversely affect your cooling etc. 

Thanks for your input. Initially I had a 997.1 bumper with no openings there. Also I don’t have a 3rd radiator. So i have indeed considered the thermo/aerodynamic aspects.

Legality is my main concern. I can remove it for track-days if overheating becomes  a concern. 

14 minutes ago, Philbee said:

As long as all characters on the plate are visible, you should be ok. Exact heights I don’t think are an issue.

Thanks Philbee. All I found was that it needs to be below 1.30 metre 😂

I’ll assume it’s OK and hope for the best 😜

Your main thing that will cause concern is that it will have to be able to be seen by toll cameras and of course the

"safety cameras" errrr "safety".  err well you know the ones I mean.  

I recently read a thread on one of the US forums where a P owner was having handling problems at speed with his car, after checking everything that could be checked, suspension, steering, tyres etc etc,....it came down to the re positioning of where he had placed his number plate.   He had actually placed it slightly to one side but it had caused the handling problems.   Put the plate back to where it was supposed to be and handling problems ceased.    

Just food for thought.   That was a street car not a track car....

One other thought from a design perspective (which of course is completely subjective). Most times when I see a car with the number plate moved, I can't help but think it just doesn't look right. I get the desire to neaten up the front end - wish we could delete front plates altogether like they seem to be able to in some markets, but when the number plate is repositioned, I reckon it changes the overall aesthetic. Porsche's designers knew what they were doing when they positioned the plates where they did...

Your car mate - do what you want and I'm sure you'll be happy with the result. Just some input from someone who's perhaps a little OCD about the appearance of their own car...

if you have a look throughthe HB2 pics you will see a green RS, replica I assume, with stick on plates, set to the left side of the front valance.  It is low, it is aerodynamic...but it looks aesthetically wrong.

12 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

When Porsche tested the aerodynamics and number plates, which country's plates did they use ?   In Australia we have half a dozen different size plates, would they have tested them all or just the most limiting ?

...but then aerodynamics is a funny thing.

I've been thinking of having a decal made the same dimensions as a plate. Just need to see if there is some sort of reflective vinyl is available without looking like something from a construction site

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

I've been thinking of having a decal made the same dimensions as a plate. Just need to see if there is some sort of reflective vinyl is available without looking like something from a construction site

Yeah, well that it is clearly non compliant  in Australia. All plates must be issued by VicRoads. But it’s your decision in the end 

40 minutes ago, Francois said:

Yeah, well that it is clearly non compliant  in Australia. All plates must be issued by VicRoads. But it’s your decision in the end 

I'm in Adelaide, yet we probably have the same laws. Have seen other cars with decals though 

34 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I'm in Adelaide, yet we probably have the same laws. Have seen other cars with decals though 

Yeah, sorry I meant in VIC. But probably similar in SA?? I agree that it is tempting (would have been my #1 preference). Still happy with my new setup :)

56 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Wasn't this number plate stickers covered already or am I having a deja vu moment ?

No, am not, found it

Yeah I remember as well. Thx for recalling. 

Let’s read through it again 🙂

This is probably what you have read already, so I post for information and highlight the escape clause.

What isn't mentioned is "bending the number plate" to fit the cars number plate recess.

You guessed it, illegal.  Gentle curve,like yours, not sure.

Surprised to see that number plate covers are illegal :blink:  

Displaying number plates

All vehicles registered in Victoria must have number plates that are:

• clearly visible from a distance of 20m
  • displayed at the front and back of the vehicle (except for motorbikes and trailer - these only need one number plate attached to the back at least 30cm off the ground).

All number plates should be:

• affixed in an upright position
  • no more than 1.3m off the ground
  • clean
  • free from covers, tints or other reflective surfaces that could interfere with plate reading devices

If your vehicle makes it difficult for you to meet these requirements, you need to make them as closely as possible. 

Example: Number plates must be clearly visible from 20m at all points in the shaded areas marked "A". 

Number plates must be clearly visible from 20m at all points in the shaded areas marked "A"

5 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

I read it out of context, sorry.  Covers are ok as long as they don't interfere with revenue raising camera's abilty to read the number plate.

Correct. Covers are ok as long they don’t.... cover!

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2019 at 00:12, LeeM said:

3 demerit points and $448 fine here in NSW (same as running a red light!). I found out the hard way...I'm pissed off about the points. What's next, points for parking offences!?

On 02/02/2019 at 21:28, OZ930 said:
  • clearly visible from a distance of 20m

Ironically, the standard white on black plates are not "clearly visible from a distance of 20m". They're bloody hard to read, especially at certain angles.

On 02/02/2019 at 21:28, OZ930 said:

This is probably what you have read already, so I post for information and highlight the escape clause.

What isn't mentioned is "bending the number plate" to fit the cars number plate recess.

You guessed it, illegal.  Gentle curve,like yours, not sure.

Had to fully bend both edges 90 degrees to fit the plate on the rear of my JDM import to fit the Japanese plate spacing. So far so good but waiting on the inevitable close scrutiny from the blokes in blue...

Archived