911 SC fuel pump

Wanting to eliminate a potential (or current) problem, I'm probably bets off buying a new fuel pump. Having had what I thought/is a relay problem, my pump seems to have started to get a little noisy lately with a 'whirring' noise that i haven't heard before. During my trip to Victoria, it was fine over 2600 rpm at 100-110kph, yet when crawling in 3rd gear at 50 or 60kph through towns, the engine was running 'fluffy' and/or possibly starving for fuel and I thought it may stall if I stopped. Lean or rich do you think? I'll drive it tomorrow (today) and see how it goes, yet has anyone else had this before? It's always run very well with no hiccups, but its either the pump or what I can only explain here as it feeling like a plug is fowling or breaking down

Anyway...who or where can I source the correct fuel pump without getting extorted with the Porsche tax? 

Have a good hard look at all your filters and the return line plumbing to the tank for partial blockages.

If needed. fuel pumps are pretty cheap these days but  you must  get the right thing first up so you dont muck around getting extra add on pieces which will inflate the price. Its important to know exactly what size lines & the connections you already have - do you have a built in one-way valve; or a 10 or 12mm banjo? (isn't your car a bitza ??)

These guys are selling a suitable pump for $62.69 which would suit an SC.

OK - its a chi knock-off but its 1/3 the price of the real thing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-pump-for-Late-VOLVO-740-760-940-960-2-3L-in-Turbo-2-8L-V6-External-electric/161362709906?hash=item2591f78d92:g:Gu8AAOSwK1Rb9kZy:rk:22:pf:0

You could try STA-BIL to lubricate the pump.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Ran faultlessly today, so buggered it I know what is happening. Will change the pump anyway

It certainly didn’t look like you were having any fuel starvation problems when I was following you through some of those twisty bits this morning!  👍

1 hour ago, Jason A said:

Hi Lee have you checked the earth and all related electrical connections. Clean them all with wire brush or sandpaper and put some Petrolium jelly and crimp the clips / tighten up connections

Hey mate. Hoping to get some shed time this week to have a dig around 👍

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

It certainly didn’t look like you were having any fuel starvation problems when I was following you through some of those twisty bits this morning!  👍

😁👍 No sign whatsoever mate. Was a fun drive too. Will get some sticky tyres on the 16's and see how it goes

Archived