Gas standby generator

3 minutes ago, Port 911 said:

When we lived on acreage, we used a Honda backup generator, would run almost every thing in the house.

One tank of fuel last about 15 hours on Eco mode.

PC, Fridges, TV etc, etc

It got lots of use, we used to get power outs all of the time.

I work from home and regularly get 8 + hour blackouts which is most inconvenient .I like the idea of this one being hooked up to the gas line.

41 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

I work from home and regularly get 8 + hour blackouts which is most inconvenient .I like the idea of this one being hooked up to the gas line.

I also work from home, so needed good reliable power. Do like to idea of it being hooked up to the gas line though. Ideal if you already had gas hooked up. 

On 06/02/2019 at 11:29, Port 911 said:

I also work from home, so needed good reliable power. Do like to idea of it being hooked up to the gas line though. Ideal if you already had gas hooked up. 

I design gas powered gensets for wellsite service power in the CSG industry. If you want to discuss this at any time PM me.  It's not as straightforward as you might think though. 

2 hours ago, Stew F said:

I design gas powered gensets for wellsite service power in the CSG industry. If you want to discuss this at any time PM me.  It's not as straightforward as you might think though. 

Many things sound easy in theory , but in reality

UN1u0iG.jpg

20 hours ago, Stew F said:

Who are you working with? I used to work for Enerflex and may be able to help with some leads if needed

• 2 months later...

As someone who works with generators every day I'll throw my two bob in........

Gas versus Diesel isn't an easy choice.

Gas has less energy, so requires more fuel for the same output. Gas engines also tend to be more maintenance intensive, and due to the necessary bits and bob also tend to fail more often if underloaded........I've seen a gas engine do three lots of heads in under 6 months due to low loading. Gas powered gennies also tend to have a poorer response to load changes, although I generally deal with 500kVA plus units, so a smaller set may not have quite the same issues.

Most of the issues with diesel are well known. IMHO the best option is a bifuel unit, all the best features of diesel with the better fuel economy of a gas set. Unfortunately they're less easily available, and cost more initially.

Also don't forget that there are other expenses involved in a generator install.....transfer switch, anti islanding/paralleling controls, etc. It's not as easy as plugging it into the wall!

2 minutes ago, WitchFinder said:

As someone who works with generators every day I'll throw my two bob in........

Gas versus Diesel isn't an easy choice.

Gas has less energy, so requires more fuel for the same output. Gas engines also tend to be more maintenance intensive, and due to the necessary bits and bob also tend to fail more often if underloaded........I've seen a gas engine do three lots of heads in under 6 months due to low loading. Gas powered gennies also tend to have a poorer response to load changes, although I generally deal with 500kVA plus units, so a smaller set may not have quite the same issues.

Most of the issues with diesel are well known. IMHO the best option is a bifuel unit, all the best features of diesel with the better fuel economy of a gas set. Unfortunately they're less easily available, and cost more initially.

Also don't forget that there are other expenses involved in a generator install.....transfer switch, anti islanding/paralleling controls, etc. It's not as easy as plugging it into the wall!

Yep, the install cost as much as the generator, the maintenance scheduled is pretty intensive, including new oil,plugs and valve clearance after the first 25 hours running, but not as  often after that, the good thing is it`s a simple pushrod air cooled V twin motor with good access, so it will be pretty easy to do. looks like after the first service it will only be a once every two year job, going by past outages, but even if more often it looks like it will only take an hour or so to do.

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

Yep, the install cost as much as the generator, the maintenance scheduled is pretty intensive, including new oil,plugs and valve clearance after the first 25 hours running, but not as  often after that, the good thing is it`s a simple pushrod air cooled V twin motor with good access, so it will be pretty easy to do. looks like after the first service it will only be a once every two year job, going by past outages, but even if more often it looks like it will only take an hour or so to do.

Curious - which brand genset did you end up getting?

23 hours ago, WitchFinder said:

I've seen a gas engine do three lots of heads in under 6 months due to low loading. 

Underloading is a big issue, particularly on smaller systems. Incorrectly sized loadbanks (or none at all), or gensets that are just too big for the job. Regardless, they should be run up to full load regularly to keep the engine in good shape. 

With gas fueled sets, we have 100's of engines in the CSG fields, offering +99% availability. Engine life has been very good. 

• 2 months later...

Update on the Generator, since install we have had about 12 outages most 30 or so minutes, one for 2 hours and two 8 hours plus, what a ripper of a thing it is, I have my work machines hooked up to UPS`s so they take over for the 30 seconds it takes the generator to do it`s stuff and come on line and then it`s business as usual and life goes on uninterupted by a miss managed and cost cut power grid. Not that it matters much and it`s not possible to work out exactly, but our last gas bill, which included all outages bar one of the 8 hour ones was an extra $40.00