SC Exhaust . What Are You Running?

Steve88

Hey guys , I`m currently running SSI`s & a Two in One Out Dansk Sports Muffler on my SC.

Sounds ok but nowhere near as good as a DP Motorsport one I had prior to putting on SSI`s.

I really want something more lively but I can`t stand drone. 

If anyone is running a particular set up and can share advice or audio on the matter  please post it up.

Currently Im looking at a SCART sports Muffler which is amazing but comes in at USD $1800 plus any taxes on the way in + conversion ect so its going to be about $2500+  and without hearing one is person its a big commitment.

The Monty 2 in 1 out is greenie pedestrian annoying noisy at idle :lol: (sounds like motorboat or prop plane says my wife) but angrily musical at speed. No drone whatsover. 
I have a 78 with SSIs.
You probably should track down locals before making a decision. Bit like trying a guitar/amp before you buy.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

I'd just buy an M&K.  About $700USD, light and nicely made 

Seconded

I don't have an M&K, but from those who do, they say they have the bark but not the drone. I know where there is a new one 2 in 2 out south of Adelaide for $1500 which I would have bought because its exactly what I want, but that just seems too much money to me and he's not negotiable.

15 hours ago, Steve88 said:

Hey guys , I`m currently running SSI`s & a Two in One Out Dansk Sports Muffler on my SC..

A bit of a side point but I’ve just been resurrecting my idea of updating to SSIs and a Dansk exhaust to get more growl & sound but have had 2nd thoughts now.... as it’s not a cheap update. 

From a SSI and Sport muffler owner. If you want growl and bark, then you should go ahead with M&K

As far as drone, and this is not pointed at you, just my observation on exhaust posts.

You either want a car that sounds angry and live with the outcome or you keep the sewing machine sound that comes from the factory :) 

When I had my 996, I purchased Fabspeeds and I loved them. For long drives, I just made sure that I sat at a speed/rpm range that was suitable to my ear ;) 

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

A bit of a side point but I’ve just been resurrecting my idea of updating to SSIs and a Dansk exhaust to get more growl & sound but have had 2nd thoughts now.... as it’s not a cheap update. 

I have SSI's and a Dansk Sports Muffler on a 3.2 and I wouldn't say it is overly load Phil, maybe not going to give you what you are chasing and obviously Steve88 needs more.  It's a much improved sound over stock and for me I think the ideal mix of sound to be heard and not too offensive (my neighbours still hate me when I leave at 5.30am for an SMT) .  Prior to the Dansk I had a Monty, probably somewhere near a 3-4" single outlet and it sounded really loud and really good :ph34r:.  It did drone at certain revs and I tried everything from a cabin insulation point of view to keep it, but it had to go.  I would say the sound from the SSI's and Monty was as load as a 6 litre V8 muscle car engine, no word of a lie.

3 hours ago, P-Kay said:

From a SSI and Sport muffler owner. If you want growl and bark, then you should go ahead with M&K

^Agreed....SSI and Sports muffler may not be enough based on what I think you are looking for.  Not that familiar with M&K but as stated, Monty is a good choice for noise.

20 hours ago, Steve88 said:

Currently Im looking at a SCART sports Muffler which is amazing but comes in at USD $1800 plus any taxes on the way in + conversion ect so its going to be about $2500+  and without hearing one is person its a big commitment.

I looked at SCART awhile back too... the $$ compared to dansk, Monty & MK kills it in my opinion.

Re: Monty

funny..., drivers with Monty’s say they’re pretty good overall, great sound, look good, etc.... but a couple of mechanics I spoke to about muffler options bagged the Monty! Said their build quality was crap. 

What is it they know that us poor end users don’t?

On 07/02/2019 at 22:01, LeeM said:

Seconded

I don't have an M&K, but from those who do, they say they have the bark but not the drone. I know where there is a new one 2 in 2 out south of Adelaide for $1500 which I would have bought because its exactly what I want, but that just seems too much money to me and he's not negotiable.

I have an M&K GT3 style. I also have 2 sets of tips. One is open for maximum noise and the other set have baffles inside to knock the edge off the noise.

Muffler is nearly new, and has only done a few hundred KMS.

I'm in Brisbane. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk price. Will probably put up an advert when I get a chance to take some pics. 

Muffler and mounting straps only... not the headers or intermediate pipes.

09Z2RhS.jpg

When you see the quality of the welding you will be amazed. And the lack of weight is unrivalled by any other muffler.

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I'm contemplating buying a Monty.. but does anyone know where I can see proof of performance gains, or loss? 

There is a thread (can't find right now) on Rennlist where Steve Weiner mentions the Monty as being the only brand associated with slight gains , and not losses.
Here is another thread with Steve's comments. Maybe you could PM him?

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/443052-monty-muffler-question.html

I originally had factory pipes & h/e's into a 2 into 1 monty with a massive exhaust pipe on my C3.0.  Droned quite a bit and was quite loud at idle.  Went to SSI's & a dansk sport which is less drony & better at idle but probably just as loud under full throttle.  More bark & less boom if that makes sense.  Wife reckons it's still way too loud (house shakes when you start it etc) but I think it's just about right & when I go for a drive with a bunch of other older Porsches it seems to fall about mid range for volume.

• 3 months later...
On 11/02/2019 at 20:50, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I originally had factory pipes & h/e's into a 2 into 1 monty with a massive exhaust pipe on my C3.0.  Droned quite a bit and was quite loud at idle.  Went to SSI's & a dansk sport which is less drony & better at idle but probably just as loud under full throttle.  More bark & less boom if that makes sense.  Wife reckons it's still way too loud (house shakes when you start it etc) but I think it's just about right & when I go for a drive with a bunch of other older Porsches it seems to fall about mid range for volume.

Hi Gavin,

I have ssi headers with a Dansk stock muffler on my sc as fitted by po. it sounds good when idling and ok under power, but in a stock way. The po also supplied a brand new Dansk sports muffler in the deal that he purchased but never fitted. I’m thinking of fitting it, but I am a bit concerned of neighbors as I keep the car in a garage where I have to leave by a shared drive and don’t want to piss the neighborhood off on the early Sunday starts.

do you have any footage of yours idling or under power?

this is something someone posted from last Sunday on insta, mines the first car through and you can here the idle which I like just want a little more under power that I’m wondering if the sport will provide