Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Phil

Chris Harris finds his car heaven

Recommended Posts

  I often wonder why one person would collect so many cars, as I'd say they rarely get driven. Is it just because they can, or as 'investments' ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think they could be investments, as many of them would only sell for a lot less than what was originally paid for them - with an odd exception here & there.

I have seen quite a few "collections" over the years & reckon its an hoarding illness. An ex neighbour collected 60 - 70 vintage/veteran cars & had only ever sold one, which he actually bought back. He died 10 years ago, but his sons have held on to the cars (they have the illness too).

But motor bike collectors are even worse than car guys! (OK, I have a few French mopeds) - but a 100 incomplete  Triumphs, Vincents & Broughs - pure madness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If you're talking Brough Superiors and Vincent Black Shadows, that's investment quality stuff if you bought many years ago.

 I dunno, I just don't understand why people buy so many cars and leave them in a shed gathering dust and spending money to keep them in good condition and running. Seems pointless to me. Fair enough if you have 10-20 you can drive when you feel like it, but THAT many is just ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LeeM said:

  I often wonder why one person would collect so many cars, as I'd say they rarely get driven. Is it just because they can, or as 'investments' ? 

Because they can.  I would if I could.  I’d love to own this more than a $15m Ferrari.  At least they are all well maintained.  Way better than a racehorse stud or a racing yacht.

Within the whole portfolio there are a couple of winners.  Who knows, maybe all the winners were sold and this is the rest.  There’s no e30 m3s in here, for example.  Someone collected these cause they liked them and thought some might go up.  And because they could and they probably got lots of joy out of hanging out in there with their mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he said +1

I'd love to sit in the shed with my morning coffee and just enjoy the art 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a car hoarder in my wife's family. I often wonder what will become of the situation when he passes (there would be over 300 vehicles at least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Coastr said:

Because they can.  I would if I could.  I’d love to own this more than a $15m Ferrari.  At least they are all well maintained.  Way better than a racehorse stud or a racing yacht.

Within the whole portfolio there are a couple of winners.  Who knows, maybe all the winners were sold and this is the rest.  There’s no e30 m3s in here, for example.  Someone collected these cause they liked them and thought some might go up.  And because they could and they probably got lots of joy out of hanging out in there with their mates.

  Well since you put it like that 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sleazius said:

There is a car hoarder in my wife's family. I often wonder what will become of the situation when he passes (there would be over 300 vehicles at least).

I went to an auction about 10 years ago of a hoarder/collector in Syd. It was a very eclectic group of about 120 cars started with a Delorean at the front door and had some quite collectable merc's, fords and even some weird early Russian stuff. Also had a lot of cars that were not old or collectable that didnt make a lot of sense to me. Some were in great condition others had sat outside 😳. Mate picked up an MB 450slc 5.0 one of 501 built for homologation in great Nic so he was lucky. I also don't get the collect, store and do nothing with the collection and not want to part with even a rusty parts car in the field. Hope for your family sleazius that when it comes time it's an easy decision for the family not a slow process because we'can't sell grandpas cars".

mates a collector across a few marchs both new and older cars has close to 20. He stores them in a warehouse but gets them out for a drive regularly (track days his $1.3m fezza) and also lends them to dealers for displays etc so others can also enjoy. To me that kind of collecting makes perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tips said:

I went to an auction about 10 years ago of a hoarder/collector in Syd. It was a very eclectic group of about 120 cars started with a Delorean at the front door and had some quite collectable merc's, fords and even some weird early Russian stuff. Also had a lot of cars that were not old or collectable that didnt make a lot of sense to me. Some were in great condition others had sat outside 😳. Mate picked up an MB 450slc 5.0 one of 501 built for homologation in great Nic so he was lucky. I also don't get the collect, store and do nothing with the collection and not want to part with even a rusty parts car in the field. Hope for your family sleazius that when it comes time it's an easy decision for the family not a slow process because we'can't sell grandpas cars".

mates a collector across a few marchs both new and older cars has close to 20. He stores them in a warehouse but gets them out for a drive regularly (track days his $1.3m fezza) and also lends them to dealers for displays etc so others can also enjoy. To me that kind of collecting makes perfect sense.

I went to that auction too. Was going to have a crack at the Delorean and now regret not getting in the mix (it didn’t go for a lot).

Thankfully the collection is owned by my wife’s uncle, so it won’t have anything to do with us when that time comes.

There is no way it’ll get auctioned all at once, it’s too diverse. Ranges from a USSR ICBM truck, to 50+ micro cars and everything in between. The only shame is he always hated 911s so he owns none! Reminds me of the Sinsheim museum on a smaller scale only no F1 and no German staff cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spotted these two at petersens today and thought if you.

gold car was purchased by Amex for a gold card promo and was electro plated in 24ct gold. It’s in the vault ‘wrapped in plastic” and I snapped a photo prior to being told off 🤣.

The original flux capacitor back to the future Delorean.

 

2C0AC9C7-FBEC-400C-9991-BD36C9CF616B.jpeg

1E2A2946-DA13-4A92-BECC-50C5F96ECB3B.jpeg

On 08/02/2019 at 17:39, sleazius said:

I went to that auction too. Was going to have a crack at the Delorean and now regret not getting in the mix (it didn’t go for a lot).

Thankfully the collection is owned by my wife’s uncle, so it won’t have anything to do with us when that time comes.

There is no way it’ll get auctioned all at once, it’s too diverse. Ranges from a USSR ICBM truck, to 50+ micro cars and everything in between. The only shame is he always hated 911s so he owns none! Reminds me of the Sinsheim museum on a smaller scale only no F1 and no German staff cars.

Any old mercs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tips said:

Spotted these two at petersens today and thought if you.

gold car was purchased by Amex for a gold card promo and was electro plated in 24ct gold. It’s in the vault ‘wrapped in plastic” and I snapped a photo prior to being told off 🤣.

The original flux capacitor back to the future Delorean.

 

2C0AC9C7-FBEC-400C-9991-BD36C9CF616B.jpeg

1E2A2946-DA13-4A92-BECC-50C5F96ECB3B.jpeg

Any old mercs?

Very nice!

Mercs, a few - I'd have to go to the last photos I took to see what hes got. The collection is so huge you only remember the highlights after a while (also its been about 9 years since I had a decent look). I honestly get too distracted by his ww2 military vehicles and personnel carriers to notice much else. 

Hes got an SLS I know that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next time your there see if he has a 300sel 6.3 as I’m on the hunt for a good one but no rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tips said:

Next time your there see if he has a 300sel 6.3 as I’m on the hunt for a good one but no rush.

Would love to but unfortunately he’d never sell anything. He is 81 though so you never know what might happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sale in Paris was partially from the collection that Chris Harris looked at?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/12/paris-youngtimer-auction-results

Seems like the same cars but I didn't go to the lengths of re-watching it to make sure.  Prices are on the up for 80s and 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×