New Michelin tyres not so new

Zoto

I'm in the process of getting new rear tyres - PS2 305/30 R19, here in Perth.

The best that Michelin can offer (in stock) are tyres that were manufactured 14 months ago. Considering 6 year life limit (I have Porsche Extended warranty), that gives me less than 5 years for a $1150 outlay.

For many owners not a problem, but as I do very low km's (2010 997.2 with 38,000 km; and getting less each year), I'm not likely to be replacing these new tyres on tread limits.

Not sure if the problem is due to being in Perth - low turn over and we probably get sent the old stock from Michelin in the first place. If anybody has recently purchased the same tyre(s), I would be interested in hearing what their manufacture dates were.

I've been trying to contact Michelin Australia to see if they can accommodate low km owners with manufacture dates that are closer to fitment date - haven't had much success or interest from them so far.

Also I must compliment TyrePower Claremont - very helpful getting details on manufacture date, etc, - if only the same could be said about Michelin

About to go through same exercise in Tassie.  Will be interesting to see what dates they come up with here.  Tyre centres here are quoting 3-4 days delivery from Melb, so if you are quoted same then suspect they're all coming from same place.....

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

If you can please let me know dates on your tyres once they're fitted that would be great.

The ones here in Perth (2 sets of rears) are stocked here - but they are Jan 18 manufacture.

Finally spoke to Michelin late today and the long and short of it is Michelin Aust don't track their stock with manufacture date - only way for them to find out is to physically view tyre, which is difficult as they use 3rd party warehousing. So basically you get what you get according to them; but with 6 year warranty from fitting date (not manuf date).

So it looks like I'll have to go with the Jan18 tyres - seems I don't have any other option if sticking with the PS2's.

9 hours ago, Zoto said:

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

If you can please let me know dates on your tyres once they're fitted that would be great.

The ones here in Perth (2 sets of rears) are stocked here - but they are Jan 18 manufacture.

Finally spoke to Michelin late today and the long and short of it is Michelin Aust don't track their stock with manufacture date - only way for them to find out is to physically view tyre, which is difficult as they use 3rd party warehousing. So basically you get what you get according to them; but with 6 year warranty from fitting date (not manuf date).

So it looks like I'll have to go with the Jan18 tyres - seems I don't have any other option if sticking with the PS2's.

Not out of the ordinary Zota ….. you'll be lucky to get 20ks and 30ks out of the rears and fronts respectively so that should fit the low k timeframe. If not, drive and enjoy that beast more before the 6 years!!!!

18 hours ago, Zoto said:

I'm in the process of getting new rear tyres - PS2 305/30 R19, here in Perth.

The best that Michelin can offer (in stock) are tyres that were manufactured 14 months ago. Considering 6 year life limit (I have Porsche Extended warranty), that gives me less than 5 years for a $1150 outlay.

For many owners not a problem, but as I do very low km's (2010 997.2 with 38,000 km; and getting less each year), I'm not likely to be replacing these new tyres on tread limits.

Not sure if the problem is due to being in Perth - low turn over and we probably get sent the old stock from Michelin in the first place. If anybody has recently purchased the same tyre(s), I would be interested in hearing what their manufacture dates were.

I've been trying to contact Michelin Australia to see if they can accommodate low km owners with manufacture dates that are closer to fitment date - haven't had much success or interest from them so far.

Also I must compliment TyrePower Claremont - very helpful getting details on manufacture date, etc, - if only the same could be said about Michelin

Damn, i just checked my recently fitted "new" Pilot Sport 4 front tyres and they are already 15 months old, i think they will be worn out by the 6 year time slot though.

The first set of tyres I had fitted to our 964 (conti's) we're over two years old when fitted. I didn't notice until after. Ever since, and for my last couple of sets of tyres I've told the tyre place that I want tyres that are absolute max. 6 months old. So far they've been cool with it and I get fresh rubber every time! 

Benefits of living in Sydney I think - the tyre dealer here got all of Michelin's Perth stock (4 tyres!!),  and Jan18 was the best.

I suppose Sydney has to have something going for it - just kidding!? 

Thanks for the feedback

Have you tried Demon Tweeks in the UK. When I was saucing 305 wide Michelin’s tyres for my 997 a year ago, and some Yoko AO52 for my Boxster, Demon had them here (Sydney) in 6 days from the time I ordered them, they will also give you the manufacturing dates. The tyre prices are similar if not a little cheaper. 

Archived