Driving a LHD in a RHD country (i.e here)

TwoHeadsTas

Anyone currently doing this care to comment on difficulties, pitfalls and experiences? 

One I can see straight away is difficulty in seeing ahead to overtake a car on a single lane road, requiring either passenger input or hanging back a bit more to see

If you use Maccas drive through it's a pain, but as you mentioned is about it really.

I personally didnt like LHD in my 912 (part of the reason I sold it), yet many others on here are fine with it

15 minutes ago, Niko said:

Makes it a hell of a lot easier to punch a push bike rider as you pass them.:CoolDance:.

Or a hi-5! :D

I'm spending more and more time in a LHD car these days and I don't mind it at all. Pulling out of a parallel park on a busy road or overtaking can be a little more delicate but it's something I'm happy to live and deal with. 

Do it. 

This is like the batman symbol to me, I always turn up in a LHD discussion thread.

You don't specify which LHD car but I'm going to go ahead and assume something like a 914 or 911.

As hugh stated pulling out of a park or overtaking is the most difficult part.  But early porsches are small cars so it's not that big of a deal.  I just hang back a bit further and give it the beans where necessary.  On the plus side you will never kerb your wheels parallel parking because you can stick your head out the window.  I would never eat fast food in my car so drive throughs are not an issue.  For parking garages just hop out and run around, or get a grabber stick if you have to do it regularly.

Other bonuses include the novelty factor and much wider parts availability for LHD cars (where the parts are different), plus generally wider availability of the cars themselves.  And the price savings on purchase which can be substantial against the equivalent RHD car.  In some cars like an E30 M3 they are only available in LHD.   Know that the market is different and smaller, but at the same time ultimately there are more buyers for the car, just most of them live across an ocean.

It takes a few miles to get used to it but once you get your head right it's no issue at all.   If a motorcyclist can ride in different parts of the lane, and if Dick Johnson could race a LHD mustang in Group A we can all manage to enjoy weekend drives in a lefty.

19 minutes ago, Coastr said:

This is like the batman symbol to me, I always turn up in a LHD discussion thread.

You don't specify which LHD car but I'm going to go ahead and assume something like a 914 or 911.

As hugh stated pulling out of a park or overtaking is the most difficult part.  But early porsches are small cars so it's not that big of a deal.  I just hang back a bit further and give it the beans where necessary.  On the plus side you will never kerb your wheels parallel parking because you can stick your head out the window.  I would never eat fast food in my car so drive throughs are not an issue.  For parking garages just hop out and run around, or get a grabber stick if you have to do it regularly.

Other bonuses include the novelty factor and much wider parts availability for LHD cars (where the parts are different), plus generally wider availability of the cars themselves.  And the price savings on purchase which can be substantial against the equivalent RHD car.  In some cars like an E30 M3 they are only available in LHD.   Know that the market is different and smaller, but at the same time ultimately there are more buyers for the car, just most of them live across an ocean.

It takes a few miles to get used to it but once you get your head right it's no issue at all.   If a motorcyclist can ride in different parts of the lane, and if Dick Johnson could race a LHD mustang in Group A we can all manage to enjoy weekend drives in a lefty.

996 GT3, so a middle sized 911 🙂  Would be a once a week drive probably, definitely not to the drive through either...

28 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

996 GT3, so a middle sized 911 🙂  Would be a once a week drive probably, definitely not to the drive through either...

Absolutely not a problem, just a few times here n there where you're disadvantaged over a rhd but those few times are only just pita things and nothing you ever really think about once you're used to it (after a week). I drove a lefty daily for about 5 years, good novelty factor!

33 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Are you sure that a LHD 996 can be driven in Tas/ get rego?

Wifey really doesn’t like it when I rely on her to tell me if it is safe to overtake a B-double semi in the Mustang!! (so I usually just hang back and enjoy the cruise instead),

But other than that, no real issues. Being an auto, obviously no gear changes to worry about, but then, I’ve driven LHD manuals plenty of times o/seas and the brain just seems to get it without having to over-think it.  If it’s the right price, go for it.

Easy peasy. passengers uneasy.
My LHD 911 was bought as a daily , which it was until other classics joined the party. No issues at all , and you get to chat to people at the lights.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Are you sure that a LHD 996 can be driven in Tas/ get rego?

30 years rule

16 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

30 years rule

That is for an SI vehicle, but looking into it, it seems that Tassie has conditional LHD rego which can apply to any car...… seems you take pot luck as to whether they will allow you. Sounds risky!

9 minutes ago, ANF said:

That is for an SI vehicle, but looking into it, it seems that Tassie has conditional LHD rego which can apply to any car...… seems you take pot luck as to whether they will allow you. Sounds risky!

You'd def want to do due diligence .
Don't know of any <30 yo non SI LHD cars.
You could keep them in a museum until 30 years. That is probably what is allowed.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Car will be purchased in a registered state.

Curious to see the details.

it is ridiculous that states are not aligned on the LHD rule.  IMO they should all harmonise based on the upcoming federal changes which would mean 25 year LHD except if brought it under the new rules that allow for special vehicles (Bugatti /Enzo law).

It’s always tempting to bend the laws a lot but third party insurance always worries me as it is part of the rego cost.  Kill/hurt someone with your car and not in compliance with registration laws = void third party insurance = financially ruined by insurance company when they put their recoveries team into action.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

It’s always tempting to bend the laws a lot but third party insurance always worries me as it is part of the rego cost.  Kill/hurt someone with your car and not in compliance with registration laws = void third party insurance = financially ruined by insurance company when they put their recoveries team into action.

Not just with LHD/modified laws too. Tradie I was onsite with 3 weeks ago fitted some mags and incorrect load rated tyres to make his 2 year old Hiace van look good. Has an accident (his fault) and his insurer said you're not covered, as A. You didnt let us know about the wheel/tyre modification and B. The tyres are not correct for a commercial vehicle.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

Lets not start on about the 4x4s illegal mods then. 😎

Yep. I thought he got stiffed a bit, yet after dealing with a couple of insurance in the past few months it doesn't surprise me

21 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Anyone currently doing this care to comment on difficulties, pitfalls and experiences? 

One I can see straight away is difficulty in seeing ahead to overtake a car on a single lane road, requiring either passenger input or hanging back a bit more to see

2 friends with nice LHD cars (SM Citroen & Ferrari BB) - after the initial excitement wears off, they never drive them. Wife wont go 😀 and grandkids not allowed  😢.

Funny story - friend with SM was driving V fast on highway with mate & pulled into a servo to use toilet. He didnt realise that cops were chasing from a long way back & they swooped into the servo and dragged the LHD passenger door open & grabbed the passenger, who swore he wasnt driving!!!!

Took a minute or so for the cops to notice there was no steering wheel on that side. Hefty fines & loss of points resulted, but his Licence was saved luckily.

All 3 of my sons have driven the '78 LHD 911 on twisty roads and at encouraging speeds; they barely batted an eyelid. As a passenger I wasn't the least bit fazed , but then again I have a calm disposition. And competent offspring.
YMMV.

LHD is easy, I loved the 3.0 Carrera on here a while back and didn’t buy it  cause it was LHD since then bought a 930(LH) now I really wish I bought the 3.0 as well they are the easiest car to deal with in left trim and save thousands on Aussie rh cars 

2 hours ago, Mick said:

LHD is easy, I loved the 3.0 Carrera on here a while back and didn’t buy it  cause it was LHD since then bought a 930(LH) now I really wish I bought the 3.0 as well they are the easiest car to deal with in left trim and save thousands on Aussie rh cars 

You can buy mine if you like. 

LHD Carrera 3.0

Archived