Looking for a manual Boxster 986S or 2.7 987

Rob H

I am slowly working my way through owning different types of affordable (to me) Porsche's.

Must say they have all been excellent to own and enjoy.

I am now looking for a good 986S or 2.7 987. Must be manual and a light colour or gray.

From Interstate probably, due to the small market in Adelaide.

I have done lots of research and contacted a few sellers on Carsales.

Does anyone have or know someone that is selling one they could recommend?

Would be a bonus if they were after a 2004 Cayenne S.

14 minutes ago, Rob H said:

I am slowly working my way through owning different types of affordable (to me) Porsche's.

Must say they have all been excellent to own and enjoy.

I am now looking for a good 986S or 2.7 987. Must be manual and a light colour or gray.

From Interstate probably, due to the small market in Adelaide.

I have done lots of research and contacted a few sellers on Carsales.

Does anyone have or know someone that is selling one they could recommend?

Would be a bonus if they were after a 2004 Cayenne S.

Rob, interesting that you are considering the S in the 986 and non-S in the 987.  Is this based on prices or some other reason?  Might be a good idea to define your price range, as there will be expensive 986S and cheap 987S for probably similar money.  It was interesting reviewing CarSales prices that our 987S was the cheapest '05 987S listed, but there were 986S listed for similar prices (different mileages etc, and for some reason owners of black cars think they are worth more too).  Subject to settlement from our purchaser's finance company this week our car is sold, if it falls through it may be of interest to you.  The 6 speed gearbox in the S is magic, so you definitely should try for an S of either model, but, of course personal preference will determine whether you like the look of the 987 or the 986.  In our case, we spent the extra 10k to get the 987 when we bought it 5 years ago.

Thanks for your input. It's all about the money! I would much prefer a 987S - refinement, style, quality build etc. I am trying to keep below $25K which may be a big ask for a good example. I certainly spent a lot of time looking at your 987S, very nice.

Let me know if the sale falls through!!

• 2 weeks later...

Deal done, I have to wait for three weeks for CEVA to send my "new" manual 986 S from Perth on the train.

Hope it's as good as it looks. Looking forward to driving a flat 6 again!

IMG_20190305_110139.jpg

IMG_20190305_110149.jpg

PART_1551763667120.jpeg

On 09/03/2019 at 19:12, Rob H said:

Thanks guys,

Assuming they are original, the option code reads:

XRL
18" SportDesign wheels, front 7" ET55 with 205/50 tyres, rear 8.5" ET50 with 255/40

IMG_20190305_110209 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Doesn't look like a standard exhaust either 🙂  

Wheels same look as .1 GT3, but a bit narrower....

Got to say that the Sport Design wheels always look better than the stock ones.  We had 19" Sport Design on our 987S and they really finished the car off well.  Reckon you're much better off with 18's than 19s though, ride was a bit choppy with the the 19's...

I agree about the improved ride with the smaller wheels and deeper sidewalls.

My '89 3.2 Carrera with 16" Fuchs was harsh commuting compared to a friend's '88 with 15".

The exhaust was "upgraded" by the original owner, at the Canberra Speed Shop, two days after he bought the car, for $2,412! Strange looking tailpipe though.

Anyone have any clues on what the exhaust may really be?

Receipt reads Porsche Boxster S Sports System. I hope the neighbors don't mind it. 16 days before the train arrives with said car on it.

Thanks Shooter, glad that it is genuine. Do you have the same system? Should there be a switch on the dash?

I wont know anything more till the slow(covered) train arrives from Perth in 16 days.

2 hours ago, Rob H said:

Thanks Shooter, glad that it is genuine. Do you have the same system? Should there be a switch on the dash?

I wont know anything more till the slow(covered) train arrives from Perth in 16 days.

The switch originally usually used is one of the blank ones next to the heater display panel and on the steering wheel side of that. The option code is XLF if you can find that on your under bonnet or book sticker. My silver one has the usual hack system (below) and my other one has the Troubleshooter hack ie a sharpened 25mm x 300mm gal bolt smacked up each pipe and through the 3 baffles. $10 Bunnings sports exhaust!!

post-10990-1177458755_thumb.jpg

I'm all for modifications in the $10 price bracket. I'll show my age here, Shooter, but a while ago a friend similarly modified his FE Holden's exhaust with a crowbar. Not quite the same finesse that you used. Needless to say the mod increased the noise factor considerably. Some years later the same chap started up a custom exhaust shop. Surprisingly it didn't succeed!

1 hour ago, Rob H said:

I'm all for modifications in the $10 price bracket. I'll show my age here, Shooter, but a while ago a friend similarly modified his FE Holden's exhaust with a crowbar. Not quite the same finesse that you used. Needless to say the mod increased the noise factor considerably. Some years later the same chap started up a custom exhaust shop. Surprisingly it didn't succeed!

You'll be happy to hear that I also rolled the lips and flared the Coxster guards with a $39 Fleabay heat gun and $20 Bunnings wooden pole 700mm x 50mm diam.:Beer: ... and they are excellent.

Archived