Adjusting headlights

Philbee

Need some help.... pls. (Warning, you are talking to an idiot, so be gentle)

My headlight beams dont seem to be straight... the right/drivers side beam hits the road maybe 5-6m in front of me... seems way too short. And the left one seems to shine to the centre a bit too much.

What I would like is:

• left beam a little further left
  • right beam a bit higher

So I know the screw at 6 oclock secures the the ring to the car. Then theres 2 more screws one at 1oclock, the other at 7 oclock.  - see pic below

Q: Are these the adjusting screws as they seem to turn freely when I stick a screwdriver on them  OR  do I need to remove the outer chrome ring and get to the screws underneath? (yeah, I saw a youtube on installing a headlight, just doesnt showing the adjusting bit)

If I have to remove the outer chrome ring, an adjust with screws inside,

Q: what tool do i use on the bottom screw (see lower pic) to get the chrom ring off, its not any style Ive seen before...? Is it a special tool? Can I get one at autobarn? Is there a name for it? Neither my phillips head or normal screewdrivers work on it? Its not quiote an allen key look either.

Q: what are the 2 other screws for ie. the 1pm and 7pm ones?

Headlights

Headlights

Use a flat blade screwdriver on the bottom screw. Biggest one that will fit, and not something you'd use for a pair of sunglasses or whatever

Yes, the other 2 philips head screws are for adjustment. No idea which is which (Google it maybe?) yet have your car on a flat surface if possible about 3 metres away from a wall, then turn lights on and adjust accordingly. If they get tight to turn, you're getting close to full adjustment so don't force it

The bottom screw might be a "torx" screw ... it's different to a phillips and allen key. Have a look at it and if it's a torx it will look like a star shape.

Easy enough to get a torx driver if needed ...

Once you work out which way the screws go, park on a level surface (garage) with car 3mts + a bit (12feet in the old money) and then stand against the wall directly in front of the rhs headlight. Mark the wall (masking tape good) horizontal level with you knees. Adjust the low beam so the top of the beam is level with the tape. High beam should put it up about half way or so on the line. Do the same with the left beam but aim it slightly to the left so it would be on your right knee only.

At least that's the way we used to do it way back in the 60s & 70s. :)

Archived