991.1 vs 991.2

911virgin

I have own both at the same time and done thousand of kms back to back including driving the Furka, Grimsel, Susten and the San Bernardino passes..plus others. I have also tracked them back to back at Spa. IMO, the 991.2 is a genuine step on from the 991.1. it’s angrier, louder, rides better, turns in better and pulls much harder at the bottom end.

23 minutes ago, WGA said:

I have own both at the same time and done thousand of kms back to back including driving the Furka, Grimsel, Susten and the San Bernardino passes..plus others. I have also tracked them back to back at Spa. IMO, the 991.2 is a genuine step on from the 991.1. it’s angrier, louder, rides better, turns in better and pulls much harder at the bottom end.

Sounds like some pretty conclusive testing! 

On 15/03/2019 at 09:13, WGA said:

Well that is some solid advice!

6 hours ago, hugh said:

Then the question of 991.1 GT3 RS or 991.2 GT3 seeing as they are pretty much same same at the moment in terms of asking $$$. 

12 hours ago, hugh said:

Question; Is a 991.2 GT3 worth the 100k current premium to a 991.1 GT3? (Factoring in the bonus extended warranty etc. on the 991.1)

Sounds like we share the same saved searches on Carsales 😂

991.2 GT3 seem to be dropping fast, a couple now at low 300s and quite a few around while 991.1 seem to have plateaued at mid 200s.  I reckon I'd stump up the extra $50-75k to get into the newer car with 4.0, manual if you prefer and no engine issues.  For peace of mind and resale, i reckon I'd rather a good engine than a known problem engine with a warranty.

5 minutes ago, DJM said:

Sounds like we share the same saved searches on Carsales 😂

991.2 GT3 seem to be dropping fast, a couple now at low 300s and quite a few around while 991.1 seem to have plateaued at mid 200s.  I reckon I'd stump up the extra $50-75k to get into the newer car with 4.0, manual if you prefer and no engine issues.  For peace of mind and resale, i reckon I'd rather a good engine than a known problem engine with a warranty.

991.1 at low 200’s has got my attention but then one thing leads to another and I’m looking at .2’s.............I’d be looking to track and hill climb it so I’m struggling to justify the $$$$ if I was to have an excursion in it though. I’ll be sitting tight for a little longer methinks for some very low hanging fruit! 

23 hours ago, hugh said:

991.1 at low 200’s has got my attention but then one thing leads to another and I’m looking at .2’s.............I’d be looking to track and hill climb it so I’m struggling to justify the $$$$ if I was to have an excursion in it though. I’ll be sitting tight for a little longer methinks for some very low hanging fruit! 

Yep I've done the same.  I reckon a manual .2 is the go if they ever fall enough to make it viable for track use.  Looking at track cars I've owned, they do get a bit banged up over time with chunks of rubber, stone chips, excursions into gravel and grass.  And 200+ is still a LOT to punt into the wall.

By contrast, my Mazda "fell" off the trailer the other day and was held up by the front splitter.  PITA but just a few scratches and a couple of busted brackets, dodgy up a fix and carry on.  Would be hating it if that was a mint GT3.

2 hours ago, hugh said:

GT2 is way too much car for me. 

Considered dial it down a couple of notches  Eg that price /2.5 and that hp / 1.33 and you can still have gt2 bragging rights but it's in the form of a 997 ( even comes with a cage for events)  just dial the suspension down a notch after an event.  It Looks very comfy even with the cage.

11 hours ago, hugh said:

Key part of my competition goals is to drive too (and back from!) events. 

I used to think that too.  Even drove the M3 all the way to Bathurst, lapped at pace and drove home.  But history shows it's a risky business, plenty of days ended with a busted car.

I've come full circle, M3 will soon be replaced with another SUV, dedicated track car is in the garage, new trailer completed a couple of weeks ago, remote electric winch and all 👌🏻. Peace of mind means I can drive it HARD 😡

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2019 at 23:21, GC9911 said:

I’ve had 3 x .1 & 1 x .2, my votes for the .2 as the better car (except for the exhaust note). I assumed you are talking Carrera S?

Only 3 of the 991.1’s - what would you know 🤣🤣🤣

On 20/03/2019 at 15:00, 911virgin said:

here's hoping the 991.2 prices will start to fall a bit when the 992 comes out

Agree - I’m hanging out for that right now, I don’t see many 991.2’s moving so maybe that is a sign

Archived