Cayman Market watch

As there doesn't appear to be a dedicated Cayman market watching thread I thought I would start one. It might serve as a historical record for those in the market and a warning of anything dodgy.

Fell free to add to the collective knowledge.

Not sure if this is totally the right place for this question (i'm new) but i'd be grateful if someone can offer advice.  I'm currently looking at 987.2 manual 2.9 Caymans under 100k on the clock.  What would be a fair price for a car in nice condition with a complete service history?  I know there's some advertised online but more looking for the actual figure they tend to go for as opposed to advertised prices.

Thanks in advance.

I think you are in the right place to raise this.

From my experience the first generation base Cayman seem to be in the $40k to $50k advertised range. S models are rarely advertised below $50k.

987.2 seem to be listed from mid $50k range and up. You are right to question the gap between what they are listed for and what they sell for. That depends on how keen the seller is to move it on and whaat you discover when you start digging into the history of the vehicle.

Based on what I have seen, the spec you have described would cost you around mid to low $50k. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck with your search. 

I bought a 987 Cayman in October 2018 , 36000 Km , 1 owner full history  etc, etc.  I found Australia to be a fairly limited market , with not more than 60-70 Cayman's for Sale Nation wide. This means not a lot of Choice or bargaining power. In my opinion you want to get the lowest km, 1 owner car you can find , least modified , conclusive service ,and no past problems with Engine , Electronics or accident. Some are sold to palm off a problem. I don't think there are too many 'bargains' out there. If it is cheap , most likely there is a problematic reason for it. On the other hand you don't want to overpay . I guess a good way forward is to observe the market for a while and compare . That way you get a feel for the' right ' price , and 'pounce' when the right car pops up. Hope this is a little helpful at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have purchased a car, I can share some of the results of my investigations (good and not so good). If anyone is interested I can provide some details on the following vehicles:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2008/OAG-AD-16918276/?Cr=15

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wickham/cars-vans-utes/2008-porsche-cayman-coupe/1199090383

There was a dark Blue 2008 with red gauges at a dealer on Sydney's north shore but the ad seems to have disappeared. It may pop up somewhere else. If so I can provide some info on that too.

PM me for details if you are looking at any of them.

So after a loooooooong time on the market price down from 57k to 50k. Nice additions, not sure how hard ride would be being lowered. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-5775355?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5775355

Another black Cayman struggling to move 51.5k now dropped 9k to 42.5k. That should get it moved on. Black not top of my list, what about anyone else? Most black P cars seem to struggle to sell unless discounted a fair sum🤔

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-5895464?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5895464

13 hours ago, PDean said:

So after a loooooooong time on the market price down from 57k to 50k. Nice additions, not sure how hard ride would be being lowered. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-5775355?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5775355

Loving how he starts the ad with "Price reduced", then says "car is rising in value".  Talk about having your cake and eating it too 🙄

19 hours ago, LeeM said:

Is that first one your old car @MFX ?

I asked him about this one beginning of Dec 18'. Said it looked like his but believed sold a couple of times since. Current seller saying he has done all mods and his cost of 12k bring parts in from US and getting fitted. 

4 minutes ago, PDean said:

I asked him about this one beginning of Dec 18'. Said it looked like his but believed sold a couple of times since. Current seller saying he has done all mods and his cost of 12k bring parts in from US and getting fitted. 

It is my old car for sure. I sold it for a reason, but that was 40k kms ago, so who knows. 

9 hours ago, Tips said:

Maybe a bargain for someone that wants to roll the dice tomorrow on a 140k km no spare key and airbag light on. Just under $15k at this point

https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-10015657/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/2011-porsche-cayman-automatic-coupe

At $18k with one day to go. 

I'd risk it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2019 at 22:09, PDean said:

Finally, a dealer getting pricing about the right place. Should take less than 6 months to sell.😂

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987-Manual-MY07/OAG-AD-17129051?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-17129051

Just saw this one too.  Price looks very right, and at that you'd throw $5k at it for the IMS and a clutch, just in case.  Nice extras with the Bose and Carbon packaging.....

Shouldn't last long, although it has been there at least a week 🙂 

11 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just saw this one too.  Price looks very right, and at that you'd throw $5k at it for the IMS and a clutch, just in case.  Nice extras with the Bose and Carbon packaging.....

Shouldn't last long, although it has been there at least a week 🙂 

That is a cracking price especially from a dealer 

Yep, 1st world problems. On my P car see saw. Ideally a manual 996. Wait and wait for the right one to come along, all the while eyeing off Caymans and Boxsters for another option. Then bang something like this and some others in the past come up for sale and geeeeeeeez, very tempting. 

Just had another close look on ad for the 40k S. If you look closely at pic that shows exhaust you can see a black residue run down bottom lip of exhaust tip. Could this be possible signs of bore scoring?🤔

10 hours ago, PDean said:

If you look closely at pic that shows exhaust you can see a black residue run down bottom lip of exhaust tip. Could this be possible signs of bore scoring?

Not trying to be a smartass here (unusual for me), yet how would a small carbon deposit be attributable to bore scoring? Dare I say most cars would have that from condensation on start up and/or running rich?