Boeing MAX8

3 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Yes - the stupid modern cruise control software is for girls who are texting/ on-the-phone all the time.

I bought an Infiniti (Nissan) in from Tokyo & chose that particular car because it didnt have that cruise feature. When it got here I got an old fashioned cruise control module fitted. Perfect. But I am still too scared to play with the "black box" entertainment system in case I Brick the whole car.

Brother has one of those cars that turns itself off & restarts to save a thimbleful of petrol. Salesman told him he could turn that feature off himself, but he was lied to.

What brand?  I have read some can be programmed out, and for others fit a tow bar harness and then put a trailer plug dummy in.  Car thinks it is towing and disables stop/start function.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

You have to wonder about the lifespan of the starter motor on cars with that feature....

Luckily there is a button in the 981 to turn off that feature.  It was the first thing the guy from Theodossi's showed her when she went to pick it up 🙂

3 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Luckily there is a button in the 981 to turn off that feature.  It was the first thing the guy from Theodossi's showed her when she went to pick it up 🙂

Is it permanent or each drive only?

24 minutes ago, firstone said:

So what happens to to air con when the engine stops like that? Ahhh.  engine keeps running if required to run AC

All that time and money focusing on impractical shyt they think we want.  Not so much because we want it, more to achieve mandated economy targets  ..  

As usual we are getting way OT 🙄

12 hours ago, ANF said:

You have to wonder about the lifespan of the starter motor on cars with that feature....

It’s avtually the battery that costs more.  Lots more in fact.  You would assume the starter motors are engineered to last the required number of uses.

Will be interesting when some of these cars start to get lower compression and need more cranking.  Lights go green - whir whir whir whir whir whir chug whir whir chug chug whir whir whir chug chug cough whir lights go red.

12 hours ago, ANF said:

I'm more concerned about the long term effect of every time you start the car, you are relying on residual oil on the bearings until the pump starts squishing again.

2 hours ago, sydr said:

I'm more concerned about the long term effect of every time you start the car, you are relying on residual oil on the bearings until the pump starts squishing again.

Stop-start may not be as bad for components etc as our last century thinkings tell us :)

http://bestride.com/research/buyers-guide/does-auto-stopstart-technology-wear-out-engine-components

Theoretically taxis would be the first to blow up prematurely , given the mileages. Then again they are serviced regularly and don't sit around for weeks on end.

4 minutes ago, Stew F said:

I flew from Singapore to KL, and back to Singapore the other week on a Silkair Max 8.  On the way back to Singapore 2 days later we encountered some seriously rough turbulence. The next day, the same model crashes. Hmmm. 

"They all do that , Sir!

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/how-a-confused-ai-may-have-fought-pilots-attempting-to-save-boeing-737-max8s/news-story/bf0d102f699905e5aa8d1f6d65f4c27e

"Investigators say the flight characteristics of both the Ethiopian Air and Lion Air MAX8 aircraft before they crashed was consistent with pilots ‘fighting’ the aircraft’s computers.The pilots were attempting to pull the aircraft’s nose back up to a safe level. The computer appears to have been repeatedly forcing it back down."

Sort of like your cruise control getting stuck on , or lane assist malfunctioning , or sensor faulty causing brake lockup in your car?

Let alone "...an AI’s capacity to deal with anything out of the ordinary is suspect."

Yes,  I hate this new technology.

On 19/03/2019 at 12:18, tazzieman said:

"Investigators say the flight characteristics of both the Ethiopian Air and Lion Air MAX8 aircraft before they crashed was consistent with pilots ‘fighting’ the aircraft’s computers.

Overheard a very interesting conversation on the bus this morning. Two chaps,  one of whom was a 1st officer and the other a trainer (of pilots) were on their way to a seminar. The latter was of the view that the planes should not be grounded but the pilots trained. He said the Max is being marketed by Boeing as not too dissimilar to another type of plane and there are two training courses available; a 5 day "differences" course, and a more thorough month long course. The Courses are $50k and $200k per pilot and course budget airlines like  Ethiopian and Lion choose the former. Well, it turns out the planes are more different than they are made out to be, and in an emergency the pilots just don't have the skills to prioritise/cope.