My 996.1 thread

JWM

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm lucky.  If I leave 20 mins earlier I can do 4 current / former Targa Tasmania stages on the way to work, but unfortunately have to go a little slower during the George Town stage though 🙂 

One of my fondest memories is going through Georgtown full tilt, wrong side of the road & my nav saying “surely this isn’t right doing this through town”, people on lounge chairs on their front lawns cheering, absolute gold, one of the best stages.

19 hours ago, jakroo said:

Move house so it's further away, or change jobs so it's further away. Not really a big problem to solve.

Err stamp duty alone on a new house is nice 911 money - so yeh thats a pretty big problem!

I'll just have to find my own twoheadsvic targa rally journey to the office!  @TwoHeadsTas :)

5 hours ago, amanda said:

Err stamp duty alone on a new house is nice 911 money - so yeh thats a pretty big problem!

Spend less on the house and stamp duty becomes less of an issue.  You need to find a solution, not create more problems, so to do that you need look at it from a different point of view.  The forum has plenty of PsOV LOL

On 02/10/2019 at 21:58, amanda said:

Great thread @JWM   back in 2013 I bought a 987 sight unseen in Sydney and drove it back to Melbourne.  I had a PPI done and the seller was really great to deal with.  The whole experience driving it back was something I'll never forget.  So much fun!  It was May too and I even got a flukey warm day so drove all the way home from Syd to Albury with the roof down.. was gorgeous..  memories....

Car looks fantastic and sounds like the latest work has just improved it 10 fold.

I'm P-carless at the moment but next year I'll be shopping for my first 911 (I think)   most likely a 996. I am a little concerned on how often I'll get to drive it tho as all my trips are short given I live in the inner city. Drive to work is like 7km  and as it is my MINI on a cold day only just reaches running temp a few km from work. Thats kinda the worst driving to do to a Porsche :(   so lots to consider.  

Thanks Amanda. Sounds like you got the perfect start to life with the 987! I think I’d almost be disappointed if the next thing I buy doesn’t include a road trip to get it home 😂...

I’ve done the odd drive into work or worst of all trip to the train station but only a couple of times, I can’t stand the thought of short cold running trips on the 996 either. Luckily it’s really just a weekend car for me and does nice long runs out in the hills when I do drive it. 

Good luck finding something to fill the garage! I guess the thing I learnt is these are getting on in age now and even though I picked a car that had been looked after, serviced well and came with a clear PPI, if any of these maintenance items haven’t been done, you’ll no doubt be up for them. If I had my time all over again, although I had really taken a liking to the 996, and love it even more now, I think my original plan of a 997 S was probably the better one, even if it needed all the same work, that would be a lower % of the value of the car.

I’m still very very happy with the car though, more than ever, so I guess the main thing I learnt is to always buy something your heart is really set on and you won’t mind the maintenance costs, etc, if and when they crop up. 

If all those 987 Spyders are still on the market next year I might be ready to sell mine when you’re buying btw 😄

• 4 weeks later...

@JWM you wouldn’t be getting your paint corrected and Geyon quartz applied by Mitch’s team at SPD would you? Just spotted a familiar car on his insta feed 😏

I know Mitch well and have had him wrap my car as a few other friends. Great paint correction work but slightly on the high side of price for xpel otherwise I’d be sending @edgy there with his new paint!!!

1 hour ago, Tips said:

@JWM you wouldn’t be getting your paint corrected and Geyon quartz applied by Mitch’s team at SPD would you? Just spotted a familiar car on his insta feed 😏

Well spotted! 😁 I'll have to find them on Instragram!

They did my wife's new Tiguan when she picked it up recently and I was really happy with it, so thought I'd take the 996 in for some love...should be done today hopefully.

@JWMwill be keen to see some photos and your thoughts on the outcome. Include some photos, hope you got some before's!!

I had Mitch look at the SC but the 20 yo black paint was going to need way to much time to paint correct all of the po's neglect and the quote was outrageous.  I did a 4 step Menzerna process myself with my orbital. Whilst not perfect as its still has a few very light swirl marks, it looks so much better and it gets driven regularly, so good enough for me.  

On 05/11/2019 at 15:55, Tips said:

@JWMwill be keen to see some photos and your thoughts on the outcome. Include some photos, hope you got some before's!!

I had Mitch look at the SC but the 20 yo black paint was going to need way to much time to paint correct all of the po's neglect and the quote was outrageous.  I did a 4 step Menzerna process myself with my orbital. Whilst not perfect as its still has a few very light swirl marks, it looks so much better and it gets driven regularly, so good enough for me.  

They’re magicians! Paint was already pretty good on it but it’s like new now. Wheels look amazing after cleaning and sealing and they restored the headlights, which someone saw today and asked me if I’d replaced them with new ones.

Best of all I think is the seats which also came up like new when they went over the interior. 

I’m very happy with it. Going to collect a USB drive of pics from Mitch showing the process, when he’s sorted through them. Hopefully some before and after in there, as I forgot to take any! Here’s one I snapped on the phone when I got home...

658C10AE-96FF-4A3B-9759-0DD59FFCCF16.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thought I would add an update on my latest shenanigans with the 996...

I decided to buy some new wheels (which are now for sale since I decided to keep the old ones on the car) and fit new tyres, as I'd finally had enough of the Kuhmo's that were on the car. They weren't very old, but were pretty average and have now been replaced with some Cup 2's. As hoped, this has made a big different. Gives a lot more confidence in the handling and has really taken out some of the nervousness the front and back both had before.

I'd also found that after hitting it plenty of times with the pressure washer, one of the wheels was starting to have some paint flake. Given the location, around the edge only, and on the passenger side wheel, I'm assuming due to some gutter rash being fixed at some point... So I had it properly stripped back and repainted. Came up really nicely!

IMG_1223.thumb.jpg.af4c581b7f3e229bc2e0154cb5e210ee.jpg

IMG_1252.thumb.jpg.0dc3b813136d941e168d0e5f22f13348.jpg

Ticked off another small job today.

The only thing that wasn't working and in perfect condition in my interior was that the mirror cover on the drivers side sun visor was broken and held on with tape:

IMG_1352.thumb.jpg.6561320f4f5fb8862f3fae0ac9f4a90b.jpg

Mostly not a big deal but it would hang open after you left it down when driving into the sun, which was annoying.

Big thanks to @dan_189 who sold me a replacement out of the 996/986 Parts he's selling at the moment.

First thing I learnt is that these screw into the roof with a Torx screw:

IMG_1354.thumb.jpg.32d64e6a60bc61bbb78f798b00d2b8ed.jpg

And naturally I couldn't find one for the life of me, so had to make a quick pit stop at Bunnings for:

IMG_1358.thumb.jpg.3e5ba83892c5638ca925a0458d599e0f.jpg

After that was when I realised there were a couple of visual differences between the old and new visors, and the tiniest of differences in the plastic moulding for how it went into the roof which meant it didn't fit anyway... Luckily Daniel had already sent through diagrams of how the light / mirror fitting comes out of the sun visor (more fiddly than you'd think!) so I just swapped that over instead...

IMG_1361.thumb.jpg.613a024bbcd017976f075d160379a279.jpg 

And so now I have my old (and so matching numbers 😁) sun visor with a new light/mirror assembly and a lid that stays shut!

IMG_1363.thumb.jpg.3c8838d6db96a0b38555b2116e2df37f.jpg

Only a small thing I suppose, but as I said, it was the only thing about the interior that wasn't perfect, so it's nice to have it fixed.

Now after such success I've almost worked up the enthusiasm to tackle the shifter changes @MFX was telling me about last weekend!!!! 🤣

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, michel said:

Ok next catchup , we can talk short thrift  and shift, at the same , let’s all talk about leaking sunroofs ...

Sunroof sounds shifty too?

• 2 weeks later...

Well a bit of an unexpected but welcome update this week...

As spotted by @Dreamr, I dropped the car into Autohaus on Monday for a service and to look at the front end as it didn't seem quite right, and I thought had a bit of a noise too... Sure enough, they found some pretty average 21 year old rubber under there, with one of the control arm bushes more or less stuffed...

Also sure enough, since I'd been thinking about it for a little while, I couldn't resist doing a bit of a bigger suspension refresh...

On their advice, given it's not a track car, just a Sunday driver, I didn't go all in on some coil overs like I was thinking (after watching too much YouTube 😁). I went with Bilstein B6 shocks and an Eibach pro-kit for springs. They've also replaced the strut mounts and bump stops front and rear, plus both front lateral arms and bearing plates for the shocks. All topped off with a fresh wheel alignment.

Away from the suspension, also did the gearbox mount, and it needed a new oil pressure sender,  which explained the somewhat dodgy gauge of late.

So, bit more than the oil and filter change I was planning for....but another thing to tick off in having a totally sorted 'get in and drive' car. 

As you'd expect, feels totally different to drive now... So far all I’ve done is drive it home yesterday, so no proper roads to try it out, but even just the tight little roundabout near home gave a pointer to a pretty amazing difference (and that the 996 seats could definitely use some more lateral support!!! 😅)... Hopefully it stops raining at some point this weekend and I can get it out on some proper local roads...

Sits a bit lower now too...

IMG_1587.thumb.jpg.7249cc4689e578d432931b15d46e84e1.jpg

18 minutes ago, LeeM said:

So glad you bought this and still loving it. I only saw a video of it on my Instagram page yesterday of the day you picked it up

Cheers Lee, me too! That was a great day and trip. Have you got a link to that video? Would be great to see that.

I will admit I was tempted by something else recently (that sold before I got to see it) but whenever I drive it I can’t imagine selling it...especially with this latest work done. That’s rare for me after almost two years...😅

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Cheers Lee, me too! That was a great day and trip. Have you got a link to that video? Would be great to see that.

I will admit I was tempted by something else recently (that sold before I got to see it) but whenever I drive it I can’t imagine selling it...especially with this latest work done. That’s rare for me after almost two years...😅

let me know if/when you want to sell it

3 hours ago, JWM said:

Not sure if you'll be able to see it having a private account. If not and youre on Instagram, I'm @porscheshed

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv5cI5RFoVDUcSvPxCjUNk_uwi0c2sptZL5BXk0/?igshid=b756k7gzbd41

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Not sure if you'll be able to see it having a private account. If not and youre on Instagram, I'm @porscheshed

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv5cI5RFoVDUcSvPxCjUNk_uwi0c2sptZL5BXk0/?igshid=b756k7gzbd41

Yeah you’re right, can’t see it now. I sent you a follow request. Thanks Lee 👍

14 hours ago, JWM said:

Sorry mate, assume you’re talking about this one....

I had to get there quick, they were beating a door down on it.

569B4C68-6889-45F1-9519-90868E3E36FE.jpeg