My 996.1 thread

JWM

7 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I think you've been cutting some grass of your own lately... :LOL:

You're in Victoria!! ... you cant even leave there till 2028 .. they said to me when I went to have a look at it ... we've had interest from Victorian buyers but we don't want to sell a clean cut car to that apocalyptic state ... (they said that, not me) .. 🙄

My conscious is clear! ... 😉

16 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

we've had interest from Victorian buyers but we don't want to sell a clean cut car to that apocalyptic state ... (they said that, not me) .. 🙄

My conscious is clear! ... 😉

I don’t want to question your clearly airtight story, but as a random aside, apparently that silver GT3 that they sold the week before (and was still there on Monday) was headed to COVictoria.

22 minutes ago, JWM said:

I don’t want to question your clearly airtight story, but as a random aside, apparently that silver GT3 that they sold the week before (and was still there on Monday) was headed to COVictoria.

I questioned that as well ... The week before they were fine with the sick state .. they weren't as fond of the GT3 either ...

BTW ... who's side are you on?? .. 

On 07/08/2020 at 20:48, JWM said:

As you'd expect, feels totally different to drive now... So far all I’ve done is drive it home yesterday, so no proper roads to try it out, but even just the tight little roundabout near home gave a pointer to a pretty amazing difference (and that the 996 seats could definitely use some more lateral support!!! 😅)... Hopefully it stops raining at some point this weekend and I can get it out on some proper local roads...

I managed to get out on some proper roads this morning before the rain started again and wowwwww... Unbelievable.

If anyone is thinking about doing a refresh like this to their 996, stop thinking and get to it! Just an incredible transformation.

I realise now how much I was driving around the suspensions flaws before. To try and describe it, I'd say it still has much the same feel, but the things it handled well before feel 10x better and the things that would unsettle it you only feel 1/10th of. It really does just feel like it's on rails compared to before, so much more predictable, smooth and confidence inspiring... Above all just fun fun fun... Love it!

• 1 month later...

Well, the joy didn’t last long. 

Suspect I have a cracked head or cylinder wall. Will find out more tomorrow hopefully, then decide on what to do about it... 

Don’t know if I’ve just been unlucky since taking ownership or if this is why people tell you not to buy a 996... 😂

48EE8F1C-38B8-47C7-9345-E9A619EA5F07.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

That came out of the blue ... what the bloody hell happened?? 😪 

It really did.

I had a service early August (and spent a fortune on the suspension which I’m regretting now obviously) as I wrote about in my previous post and obviously they didn’t see any signs - although they did replace the oil pressure sender as they saw the gauge fluctuating... maybe that actually was a sign? Probably coincidence I suppose...

No oil on the floor of the garage or anything, I guess it all went into the coolant...

I started it to drive it on the truck (as clearly I’d already driven it in this state, it didn’t crack sitting in the garage I assume!) and it still started and ran fine...so that does give me some hope it’s the head, I assume it would be a real mess if it was a cylinder...?

1 hour ago, JWM said:

It really did.

I had a service early August (and spent a fortune on the suspension which I’m regretting now obviously) as I wrote about in my previous post and obviously they didn’t see any signs - although they did replace the oil pressure sender as they saw the gauge fluctuating... maybe that actually was a sign? Probably coincidence I suppose...

No oil on the floor of the garage or anything, I guess it all went into the coolant...

I started it to drive it on the truck (as clearly I’d already driven it in this state, it didn’t crack sitting in the garage I assume!) and it still started and ran fine...so that does give me some hope it’s the head, I assume it would be a real mess if it was a cylinder...?

I remember seeing your car at AH getting all the work done when I went to pick up my new to me C4S.

I even commented on how nice a car it looked like.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's never nice when something so major happens.

Please keep us posted with updates .. we're all in this together.

Sorry to hear of this, such a nice car.  On the bright side, it *might* be as simple as the oil cooler having gone kaput, intermix can happen there as it's a water cooled oil cooler.  Still a big cleanup operation to get rid of the mocchachino out of the cooling system but might not be a full engine teardown.

16 hours ago, luzzo said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles @JWM.

What were the symptoms? 

Thanks Luzzo, and everyone else. 

Long story short, the oil in the coolant was the real sign. The oil level sensor had dropped when I restarted the car after a drive for lunch with my wife, but I always found it a bit unreliable when warm and the dip stick looked fine... Because it was hot at that point, I hadn’t taken the cap off to look in the coolant, and the level was still ok. 

Next time I went to drive it, sensor showed empty but with no puddle of oil on the floor that didn’t seem to make sense. I got some advice that it was probably the sensor at that point but obviously it wasn’t! 

So I guess paying more attention to that sensor would be the only way to catch it any earlier, although I’m not sure how much difference to whatever the outcome will be that would have made, I assume it was acting up because of water in the sump, so already too late. 

Anyway, all still a bit of guessing until I learn a bit more I guess. Could be what @st3ve described... 🤞

18 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Please keep us posted with updates .. we're all in this together.

Will do, and thanks. 

1 minute ago, JWM said:

Ok, update time.

Finger and other appendage crossing may have worked...they think it’s a head, not a cylinder.

Engine coming out now for a proper investigation...

That was quick! You must be a VIP customer .. 😅

Still not fun, but that would be the best case scenario ... mine are crossed for you too .. 🤞🏼

18 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

That was quick! You must be a VIP customer .. 😅

Still not fun, but that would be the best case scenario ... mine are crossed for you too .. 🤞🏼

I’m guess I’m becoming one... 😅 Car got sent there Friday arvo, but yes still pretty fast and I’m glad not too have had to wait too long. 

Yeah, keep them crossed for full story but hopefully a lot less painful than it could have been...Thanks mate!

3 hours ago, JWM said:

I’m guess I’m becoming one... 😅 Car got sent there Friday arvo, but yes still pretty fast and I’m glad not too have had to wait too long. 

Yeah, keep them crossed for full story but hopefully a lot less painful than it could have been...Thanks mate!

Good news hopefully, you know what they say “while its out!!! Bore to 3.8, headers, exhaust.......”