My 996.1 thread

JWM

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

Good news hopefully, you know what they say “while its out!!! Bore to 3.8, headers, exhaust.......” 

Have you been reading my Google search history? 😂

28 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Fingers crossed fella 🤞

Cheers Lee! 

On 27/09/2020 at 09:22, JWM said:

Well, the joy didn’t last long. 

Suspect I have a cracked head or cylinder wall. Will find out more tomorrow hopefully, then decide on what to do about it... 

Don’t know if I’ve just been unlucky since taking ownership or if this is why people tell you not to buy a 996... 😂

Here's hoping it's only the head or cooler because if that's a cylinder, that's terminal.

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Any news @JWM?

I didn’t hear from them today. I guess there might be some news tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, philipk said:

Have a look at my post on engine rebuild.

I looked at 3.8 and a 4.0 lt big bore build.

Costs put me off in the end.

Decided to go with 3.6 rebuild.

Keep us informed!

Very useful thread! I’m hoping I won’t have to go that far but sounds like standard rebuild with a few improvements where they’re available makes the most sense... 

19 hours ago, JWM said:

I didn’t hear from them today. I guess there might be some news tomorrow. 

No real news yet. Engine is out but they haven't started investigating yet. Probably know more tomorrow... 🤞

2 hours ago, michel said:

@jwm best not  catastrophise , instead... perhaps the claytons GT3  aka X51 install if you  can locate?

That would be a very nice way to go if a new engine is needed. How would you rate the chances of finding one though??

2 hours ago, JWM said:

That would be a very nice way to go if a new engine is needed. How would you rate the chances of finding one though??

Good point you make… I have been talking to a guy over in the States who claim to have had two .  one complete and one without the Pistons… So they must be out there...

They strike me as a group buy opportunity... That’s certainly be happy to have one on the motor

4 hours ago, michel said:

Good point you make… I have been talking to a guy over in the States who claim to have had two .  one complete and one without the Pistons… So they must be out there...

They strike me as a group buy opportunity... That’s certainly be happy to have one on the motor

Chance to corner the international X51 market? 😆

My worry would be how you confirm as legit. I guess there are ways to. 

Got a bit of an update today. Confirmed it is the head, so good news there! It's at their machinist to work out if it can be repaired, or will need to be replaced. I'll talk to them more about the other specifics after learning about that, but the short version was more or less a top end rebuild and a bunch of "while the motor's out" items... 

2 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I guess that's good news @JWM  

Better than the worst option  :Confused02:

If you love the car, it's an opportunity to give it a refresh..!

Yeah very true, not as bad as it could have been.

At the moment I'm wavering between just getting it sorted out and moving it on versus going a bit deeper with a proper refresh like you say, and (hopefully) having something I can keep, enjoy and not worry about what will go wrong next... I'm not really knowledgable enough to know where to start on what the sensible things to include in such a 'refresh' are to be honest so definitely open to suggestions!

Bad luck it happened at all but glad to hear its fixable, If its a cracked head it would suggest to have your front radiators checked, Buta good Tech should do that for you anyway, Fix what needs fixing an drive the wheels of it good luck, Hope it all goes well. 

Just heard back that the cracked head can be repaired, so that will get done and both heads have a refresh...

As I'd had no real indication of what could cause it (overheating or anything, thinking of your radiator suggestion tomo) I did ask if they could see any signs of why it happened but there said there aren't any... I did read this interesting thread outlining a weakness (although I'm not sure if this is the place it cracked) which heating and cooling over time reveals. I mostly only take it out for long drives, but maybe in its past life it had done more short trips, who knows!

Anyway, hopefully be sorted soon.

• 3 weeks later...