My 996.1 thread

JWM

Picked the car up today. I’ve spent the last 5 weeks pissed off and trying to decide the best way to sell it (and almost bought a 997.2 but that’s another story 😁) ... But even just driving it home and on a little tour, I remember why I love it... 😘🤣 ... Gee it runs well now too...silky silky smooth... 

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

Picked the car up today. I’ve spent the last 5 weeks pissed off and trying to decide the best way to sell it (and almost bought a 997.2 but that’s another story 😁) ... But even just driving it home and on a little tour, I remember why I love it... 😘🤣 ... Gee it runs well now too...silky silky smooth... 

Still think’n of selling??

On 06/11/2020 at 16:11, Steve996 said:

Sorry if I missed it in the earlier posts but did you have anything else done while the engine was out? 

There was a lot of checking of things while it was out to look for any more damage or wear. Fortunately, everything else was good, no scored bores, etc, etc... 

Both heads got a good tidy up and the only thing they found were worn valve guides, so they've been replaced. The rest (springs, etc, etc) looked good.

There were a few other "while the engine's out" items but nothing major - new water pump, thermostat, AOS, serviced the fuel injectors, sorted out the idle control valve which had seized and they replaced that alternator to starter cable that can cause the "warm start issues" you may have read about... Also had a bunch of new gaskets, as you'd expect, and new fluids everywhere.

All I've done so far is picked it up and driven it home but from the moment they brought it around to me, I could hear how quietly and smoothly it sat there at idle and I could feel and hear the same on the drive home. I presume that's mostly down to the valve guides and whatever tidying up they did to valve seats, etc... Very nice though. 

On 06/11/2020 at 17:17, LeeM said:

Nice one @JWM

I have the same thoughts with my old thing every other week (or day!), yet once you go for a drive after a little time away from it, you realise what you have and why you love it

Well said Lee. That sums up my feelings pretty well... As the Autohaus guys said, it's well sorted now, so just drive and enjoy.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, JWM said:

@Tips inspired me with how he’d cleaned up the plastic inside the front bar on his 996, and hooked me up with this great plastic die made by Wurth... Came up a treat!

Before:

976C2FAD-AFAB-4D64-8C56-DA2006B77948.thumb.jpeg.d0cb42f890510432397221c1c1a5e57b.jpeg

After:

F6EFF968-5C41-4F4B-997D-BC88F5B711C6.thumb.jpeg.e1d04d36583fd74fea54bd486509140a.jpeg

The little things are always the most satisfying ... 😀

Nice work.  +1 on Wurth products.  My neighbour is the local Wurth rep and gives me all the new stuff to try out. Amazing new workshop gloves in orange and totally resistant to acetone, brake fluid and probably 245T, anything your try.  Great product. And a new body cavity sealant (for the car!) that doesn't turn to mush in our hot weather - the list goes on.

6 minutes ago, Merv said:

Nice work.  +1 on Wurth products.  My neighbour is the local Wurth rep and gives me all the new stuff to try out. Amazing new workshop gloves in orange and totally resistant to acetone, brake fluid and probably 245T, anything your try.  Great product. And a new body cavity sealant (for the car!) that doesn't turn to mush in our hot weather - the list goes on.

Merv would u please ask ur neighbor if they have a Perspex or clear venal window polish to use on my cabs rear window

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JWM said:

This marks about 12,000km since I bought it. Good times.

Too right, I got my 996 12 months ago (right in the middle of Melb lockdown) and just had it's first service after putting 10,000 k's on, enjoyed every minute of it but I do need to pace myself.

• 5 months later...

Well I thought I should close this thread out with a final note. 

As someone else spotted and mentioned in another thread, I sold the 996 with Autohaus last week. 

Really hope the new owner enjoys what is by now a pretty well sorted 996. Say hi some time if you’re a PFA member!

Not sure what I’ll get into next… Probably another P-car, maybe another 911, or maybe it’s time to sample something mid-engined? We’ll see. Look forward to finding something and coming on future drives again soon. 

24 minutes ago, JWM said:

I sold the 996 with Autohaus last week. 

That was a pretty quick sale so glad it worked out for you.

No doubt lot's of memories from that car, some to test your will and many others very rewarding, hoping to see you back in a Porka soon.

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

That was a pretty quick sale so glad it worked out for you.

No doubt lot's of memories from that car, some to test your will and many others very rewarding, hoping to see you back in a Porka soon.

Thanks, yeah, basically sold in a day of it going up on Carsales. 

That’s a good summary of the experience 😅 … I hope to be as well. Cheers. 

• 1 year later...

I really miss this car ... and found another 996.1 I am quite tempted by ... so I dug this old thread up to look at this photo and  remind myself it's a bad idea 😂 ...

On 27/09/2020 at 09:22, JWM said:

Well, the joy didn’t last long. 

Suspect I have a cracked head or cylinder wall. Will find out more tomorrow hopefully, then decide on what to do about it... 

Don’t know if I’ve just been unlucky since taking ownership or if this is why people tell you not to buy a 996... 😂

48EE8F1C-38B8-47C7-9345-E9A619EA5F07.jpeg

17 hours ago, JWM said:

I really miss this car ... and found another 996.1 I am quite tempted by ... so I dug this old thread up to look at this photo and  remind myself it's a bad idea 😂 ...

Yes, It's  bloody pity the engine design of the 996/997 puts a cloud over the car, I have driven few Porka's  over the years and the 996 is one of the best drives out there. And it actually looks like a Porsche  In saying that a pomy joby with the Hartech 4 ltr engine build would be a cool import and only 12 months of the 25 year thingy ;)