One out, one in

They say as you get older the things you like get, well ... best left alone !

Today I traded in younger for older.  

I spent the weekend and a large part of last week getting reacquainted with the 07 RS.  Loud, rattles at idle, baulky shift when cold, suspension solid enough to encourage compressive spinal damage on a spirited drive.

I always like going for a blast in cars with one or other of my boys.  We “needed” to go to Bunnings so of course we take the scenic route. We’re pumping along and get a little lift off over a particularly (dis)agreeable bit of road.  

“Air Dad?” 

“Yep”

”Nice”

Anyway ... a couple of weeks before then I’d had the other RS with the flappy paddles out and had a little bit of a “go”.  Incredible.  8800. Induction noise, razor sharp handling, the car treats you like a hero.  “Of course that was you” it seems to say whilst  probably snickering at you from behind its heat shield.  Not a chance.  It is always the car,  never me.   

That thing is far better than anything you can sensibly throw at it on the road.  Without doubt one of the most glorious things I’ve ever driven.  

And yet ... the one with 3 pedals, hugely overbraked with it ceramics and which could be seen off by a well driven Cayman (and as a matter of fact was shown a clean pair of heels by a new Alfa 4 door) was the one I enjoyed more.   It at least feels like you might be up to the task driving it whereas the 991 just gets you into jail territory whilst shrugging and running a bit of “whatever ...”

So, I’d been eyeing off another one of the RS variety for some time. A long time actually. One of the 2010 variety.  I’ve looked for one for a while and couldn’t find one at the right time and the right place.  Then I saw one locally.  Called the guys selling, checked it’s background and all clear for me.  Had 6 minor stage one revs which I took as a sign of “as intended” use.  Anyway, having taken a Cup Car to 10000 +, these 6 puppies were just a light tickle of the rod bolt ...

Some short haggling later and a deal was struck. 

So out with the new and in with the old.  

The teenager goes hunting for someone who has an Instagram account whilst the old school stager goes to someone who’s basically only just learned how to text ...

Im a huge fan of the new cars Porsche makes but let’s not forget ... every Porsche (air or water cooled) before it from the 356 to the present is a special thing.  The way they smell, sound, feel ...

Younger is great but older is in some ways far more satisfying for the interactive challenge that analogue is over digital.  

Easter beckons so take yours out or con a mate who has one and go for a burn.  Even if it has flappy paddles.  At least you won’t get a crampy left calf ...

So, the next bit.

The 991 RS is with the new owner and I’ve got the 997.2 RS.

Picked it up, drove back to work.  Those straight through pipes!! No muffler after the cats.  Just like my race car.  The thing sounds like a Cup Car.  Then smile fades as I contemplate the drive down the coast ...

Anyway, then went to grab my 9 yo and take him to tennis.  As I turned the corner there he was with mum waiting outside because I was late ... so I did what any self respecting Dad would do.  Dropped it into first and took it to 7000!  He starts jumping and yelping and when I pull up there’s Mum shaking her head at me and the boy ... “awesome Dad!” 

Peak hour traffic down the Nepean Highway.  Nice test.  Was OK actually.  Wouldn’t do it each day if I had a choice but I could.  But that’s me.

Then down Pen Link and jump off to head to the destination.  No drone or buzzing so whoever made the pipes knew what they were about.  Could hold a conversation no problem but that wasn’t happening as the boy was listening to music.  He’s got a bit of an eclectic play list on Spotify.  Ranges from the Eagles, Led Zeppelin and ... well ... Rammstein (lucky the lyrics are in German!  I do agree with him that they sound good when the car stereo is at 11).  Maybe him listening to Rammstein means that the pipes aren’t so good and I’m suffering from progressive hearing loss! 

The backroads showed what the car is about.  Smooth roads!  Man, was it moving around.  Bumps in the road?  “Dad, I think I just lifted out of my seat!” (Laughing).  And the sound?  Did I mention the sound??  It was 28 degrees so down came the windows and listened to the snarl, scream, pop and crackle for the last 10 minutes of the drive.  

Better than Rammstein!

I reckon the side muffler delete is THE best setup for these cars, it gives you the sound of a Cup, removes a bunch of weight and those side mufflers that sit behind the back tyres really put out some heat, definitely not great for track... I think its worth the potential risks involved (popping the centre muffler & blowing O2 sensors) I've only popped one of the o2 sensors in 3+ years... Cup headers/cats is meant to remedy that, and I'll bet RS has better cats than the pleb spec GT3 too. :D

Now you know we need pics mate... 

8 hours ago, edgy said:

I reckon the side muffler delete is THE best setup for these cars, it gives you the sound of a Cup, removes a bunch of weight and those side mufflers that sit behind the back tyres really put out some heat, definitely not great for track... I think its worth the potential risks involved (popping the centre muffler & blowing O2 sensors) I've only popped one of the o2 sensors in 3+ years... Cup headers/cats is meant to remedy that, and I'll bet RS has better cats than the pleb spec GT3 too. :D

Now you know we need pics mate... 

Erm, I’ve alteady popped an O2 sensor.  Feel like a real man.

@hugh has pics and will post.  

I know the 991 RS is better but I seriously like this thing.  

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

You were already a bonafide badass in my books...  🤘🏻

13 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-vplug-n-play/

get one of these and like will blossom into love 

Very very nice write up and car mate. A keeper for sure.

I had a 7.1 RS that I did over 70 track days in. That car just never gave up even if I did.. Every one of those track sessions were better than any flappy box car I had after even if I was faster in the other cars. The one car I regret selling. And your 3.8 has all the defects sorted. But even the 7.1 is now a bit too fast and scary for me. 

The older I get the faster I was. 

On 19/04/2019 at 10:25, Peter John said:

Still have the 2rs yeah? @Skidmarks

Sure do. That’s a keeper.  

On 19/04/2019 at 08:59, Harvs11 said:

Subtle as usual.  Love it.  👍👍

It should be easy to find in the Woolies carpark with those red wing tips. 😉

Subtle it’s not.  Like me!