THE BEST CERAMIC COATINGS from CAR BIBLES

Niko

Niko,

As one of PFA's most trusted car care enthusiasts, WHAT are you using and are you happy with the results?

I still thank you for your recommendation with Aquawax so would be happy to take your advice on ceramic coating too. 

31 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Niko,

As one of PFA's most trusted car care enthusiasts, WHAT are you using and are you happy with the results?

I still thank you for your recommendation with Aquawax so would be happy to take your advice on ceramic coating too. 

Thanks for that Peter...I haven't gone to the ceramic side at this stage.

Black being a real PITA to keep looking good.

at this stage I am sticking to the tried and true old polish/wax stuff... 

I normally use the AUTOGLYM range, in polish/wax and sealers.... however.

I have been using DODO Red Mist protection as the end product for the polish/wax/ sequence.     I think it is better for the final finish.

I rarely have to use any polish,  after the wash and using the AquaWax, go over the entire body surface with the DODO JUICE.

Otherwise stick with the AUTOGLYM Extra gloss protection instead.  Either are very very good in my opinion.

They jury is till out for me with the ceramics, although having seen the result on some cars it is obviously a good thing too.......I think

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2977.JPG

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Have a read of the "top" ceramic coatings voted by  CAR BIBLES.   

This item taken from RENNLIST 

Also answers most if not all of your questions at the end of the various brands suggested.

https://www.carbibles.com/best-ceramic-coating-for-cars/

Interesting article, looks like it’s out of the US as it misses a lot of well known brands outside of CQuartz. Have to disagree with a lot of statements made and recommendations, application techniques, to the point that article is evidently a promotional tool rather than written by a journalist not a experienced Detailer. Just my 2c

niko you cannot go wrong with the stuff you are using, I’m a big fan of the Autoglym product as well.

jb

Can i ask if anyone here can have tried the AquaWax in comparison to the Meguiars X-press Wax ?

Im a big fan of Meguiars X-press Wax and found it very easy to use , with great results. But always happy to go with something better.

1 hour ago, Windsor289 said:

Hi Niko & JB,

What  (brand) have you found to be the best microfiber cloth to use with a black cars to minimize possible scratching/marring?

This is where I will probably be shot down in flames..  

I don't buy the expensive ones from the Car Care Products people and similar companies.:ph34r:

I buy the multi coloured pack that you get from BUNNINGS, Remove the little tag off them before using to avoid scratching.

I have been known to use them a couple of times....but after each use wash them without conditioner added.

I also use the colours to designate what I use the cloth for.

IE.... yellow ones are always.... glass.

blue ones always .....polish

Red always .......wax

Green always .....liquid sealer 

That is using one to apply the product......  and one or more to remove/buff etc.  (but keeping same colours for both process's)

Then mostly chuck it out (mainly the ones that I used for applying the product).

The buff ones I will normally put them in a container until you have a heap, then wash them in the machine without using conditioner.

Then I use those ones again...this time for applying the product and then they get the flick...

And The rotation continues......

I am ready to be attacked......:Sweating:

3 hours ago, wobaby said:

@Niko   ....... Im also guilty/proud of a similar ritual with my bunnings towels..... However my colour co-ordiantion doesn't align with yours.... The new packs have dark and light grey, no more red. 😂

Bugger that is going to play havoc with my OCD....:Speechless:.

23 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

Hi Niko & JB,

What  (brand) have you found to be the best microfiber cloth to use with a black cars to minimize possible scratching/marring?

Depends how far you want to go, per nicko’s comments I think people are getting caught in the commercial latest and greatest.  Don’t get me wrong therer’s constant improvements being made in car care as manufacturers develop paints etc, but most of us live in the real world and need real world advice, unless you want to spend hours each weekend having the perfect car that you don’t want to drive as it gets dirty...😏

The tempest hi tec towels are great, for high end stay away from towels with polimide or lint in them, but again this is for cars that have had the full works done to the paint, hence your wanting to preserve your investment.

to be honest niko is on the money, especially if you look after your car regularly. As most polishes have fillers in them then regular polishing and waxing will be more than sufficient for everyday cars, and no matter what there is nothing that will eventually stop swirls etc only slow down the process.

probably doing myself out of a job but it can become obsessive and over the top, you just want your car to look the best over the long run and enjoy it whilst not spending an eternity in maintaining it.

jb

2 hours ago, MARTY said:

Autoglym ultra deep shine is perfect for dark paints black especially 

Thanks Marty,  I haven't tried/seen that one....I will check it out.. 

Question for the gurus...

I have Opti-coat on my daily, there are a couple of areas where I’ve polished out some scratches and removed the coating.  I can’t buy Opti-coat retail as it is only available through approved detailers, can a different brand of ceramic coat be applied over previous coatings?  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm amazed to hear so much support for low end product such as the AutoGlym on a Porsche Forum. Its old hat now, far exceeded in performance and useability by newer, more nimble brands. Its the stuff your Dad used... The SRP has so much chalk in its abrasive, dust like a sandstorm and you'll spend more time taking off the white residues on rubbers than the rest of the bodywork. 

Its best to apply products with applicator pads - cotton or microfibre with a sponge layer inside which minimises the amount of product that an ordinary cloth can absorb. 

Cheap microfibres are OK if used carefully - I like the colour coding idea, though peach-style glass cloths are best on glass. But you will notice the value of having 1 or 2 real quality cloths for finial finishing, even if you're not into Concours. 

There are many better brands out there, and you don't have to spend huge amounts either. 

No worries 944Tman, as long as you get the finish your happy with, that's what it's all about in the long run.

I have heaps of other high end stuff in my garage too,  but always come back to your  "low end products" 

Each to their own.

9 hours ago, 944Tman said:

I'm amazed to hear so much support for low end product such as the AutoGlym on a Porsche Forum. Its old hat now, far exceeded in performance and useability by newer, more nimble brands. Its the stuff your Dad used... The SRP has so much chalk in its abrasive, dust like a sandstorm and you'll spend more time taking off the white residues on rubbers than the rest of the bodywork. 

Its best to apply products with applicator pads - cotton or microfibre with a sponge layer inside which minimises the amount of product that an ordinary cloth can absorb. 

Cheap microfibres are OK if used carefully - I like the colour coding idea, though peach-style glass cloths are best on glass. But you will notice the value of having 1 or 2 real quality cloths for finial finishing, even if you're not into Concours. 

There are many better brands out there, and you don't have to spend huge amounts either. 

Theo The reason I recommend auto glym at a retail level is it’s consistently good and not over complicated. Once you start getting into the newer stuff it’s over complicated with multiple products to complete one process (marketing hype). 

Also when we run product tests (which we do regularly) it’s amazing how well it stacks up against the more modern and expensive stuff. The same the same goes for coatings.

I can and do recommend more expensive stuff however from experience I find my customers want simplicity and great results with minimal effort at home.

On 27/04/2019 at 16:27, Harvs11 said:

Question for the gurus...

I have Opti-coat on my daily, there are a couple of areas where I’ve polished out some scratches and removed the coating.  I can’t buy Opti-coat retail as it is only available through approved detailers, can a different brand of ceramic coat be applied over previous coatings?  

@Harvs11 you can top up the coating with sprays like nova lustre or essence plus. 

different coating products continue to rapidly develop and sprays are starting to come on in a big way. We tested a ceramic coating aerosol on a car not two months ago.  In saying that I’m using them as a top up agent rather than a base coating.

in relation to weather you can apply different coatings, I know I’ll start a s*it fight and industry outrage but yes....... 

i like to challenge the status quo and a lot of people get caught up in their own product or the hype, cars I have seen with different coatings on them no issue. Preparation is the key. 

11 hours ago, JB said:

Theo The reason I recommend auto glym at a retail level is it’s consistently good and not over complicated. Once you start getting into the newer stuff it’s over complicated with multiple products to complete one process (marketing hype). 

Also when we run product tests (which we do regularly) it’s amazing how well it stacks up against the more modern and expensive stuff. The same the same goes for coatings.

I can and do recommend more expensive stuff however from experience I find my customers want simplicity and great results with minimal effort at home.

@Harvs11 you can top up the coating with sprays like nova lustre or essence plus. 

different coating products continue to rapidly develop and sprays are starting to come on in a big way. We tested a ceramic coating aerosol on a car not two months ago.  In saying that I’m using them as a top up agent rather than a base coating.

in relation to weather you can apply different coatings, I know I’ll start a s*it fight and industry outrage but yes....... 

i like to challenge the status quo and a lot of people get caught up in their own product or the hype, cars I have seen with different coatings on them no issue. Preparation is the key. 

Thanks for the feedback JB.  Have you tried either of these over Opticoat? I'm no chemist so I wonder if the SiO2 formula of Nova Lustre and EssencePlus will bond to SiC of Opticoat. 

What's the recommended prep. prior to the spray on coatings.  Clay bar? or does it damage the existing coating and require polishing again.

On 14/05/2019 at 22:32, Harvs11 said:

Thanks for the feedback JB.  Have you tried either of these over Opticoat? I'm no chemist so I wonder if the SiO2 formula of Nova Lustre and EssencePlus will bond to SiC of Opticoat. 

What's the recommended prep. prior to the spray on coatings.  Clay bar? or does it damage the existing coating and require polishing again.

They will bond no problem, they are basically a jeweling agent. As I mentioned previously don’t get too caught up in the technical stuff keep it simple. The essence plus in particular is designed to work with any coating.

just make sure the paint is clean and a De wax process in the areas you want to apply, I did my whole car with essence plus the other day took me 15 mins.

whatever you do don’t claybar the car, it will damage and or partially remove the coating. It can be done with a fine clay but you really have to know what your doing. 

9E53CB68-8A69-4A3A-BA6F-AC02F9A33F8D.jpeg

@JB just a question for you. Are you talking about Carpro Essence Plus? If so isnt it a cream? Certainly the Essence Plus I have is a cream and Carpro say to use this and then Reload spray applied after that? You have me a bit confused which is easily done! 😂 

Your car looks stunning by the way....

8 minutes ago, Chris-p said:

@JB just a question for you. Are you talking about Carpro Essence Plus? If so isnt it a cream? Certainly the Essence Plus I have is a cream and Carpro say to use this and then Reload spray applied after that? You have me a bit confused which is easily done! 😂 

Your car looks stunning by the way....

Hi Chris yes your correct it’s like a cream/polish however the makeup of it is classified as a jeweling agent. Then yes you can use reload or leave.

it also depends on the actual starting position of the paint, eg condition. I think if I used anything else on top of mine it would just fall off the duco! 🤣

On 16/05/2019 at 10:23, JB said:

They will bond no problem, they are basically a jeweling agent. As I mentioned previously don’t get too caught up in the technical stuff keep it simple. The essence plus in particular is designed to work with any coating.

just make sure the paint is clean and a De wax process in the areas you want to apply, I did my whole car with essence plus the other day took me 15 mins.

whatever you do don’t claybar the car, it will damage and or partially remove the coating. It can be done with a fine clay but you really have to know what your doing. 

9E53CB68-8A69-4A3A-BA6F-AC02F9A33F8D.jpeg

Thanks again JB.  I’ll give the essence plus a go. The paint’s in good condition so clay bar is definitely off the menu. 

Btw. Black looks magnificent 

@JB and other gurus.  How can you definitively tell if a car has previously been ceramic coated?  I suspect our 981 Boxster may well have been  done in the past, but am unsure if there is any definitive way to tell.  If it was, I would expect it would have been done by the P dealer from new 5 1/2 years ago).  I haven't done a full clay or polish (doesn't seem to need it) but have been using Meguiars Quick Wax after I have washed the car.

thanks