Historic plates

johnhedge

Hi,

I've been greatly impressed with the knowledgeable response I've received from members on another post (I became financial)

I'm considering applying for a NSW historical plate. My prime driver is cost.

I'd appreciate some comments on pros and cons, please.

Thanks,

John

2 hours ago, johnhedge said:

Hi,

I've been greatly impressed with the knowledgeable response I've received from members on another post (I became financial)

I'm considering applying for a NSW historical plate. My prime driver is cost.

I'd appreciate some comments on pros and cons, please.

Thanks,

John

Depends what you use your car for ... every day driver or weekend warrior.

You get 60 days per year to drive your car ..  multiple trips on one day is still only one day ... if you decide not to fill in the line on a drive, then you'll get more days  .. but I would never do that .. :rolleyes:

Pros ... $46 per year to register your car including CTP

Cons .... have to find a car club and pay to join them ... other than that, NIL cons . .

I resisted doing it at first and now I wouldn't go back ... whenever I see a 30 year or older car on full rego, I hope and pray that they are driving it a lot ...

1 hour ago, johnhedge said:

The little research that I've done is belonging to a 'club' costs at least as much as rego.

Jeebus which club is that...run by politicians? I'd be calling a few other clubs mate

I pay $100 per year for the privelidge of being able to get historic rego .. if I split that over 2 cars that adds $50 to my rego cost ...

So ... $96 per year to register each of my cars ... winner, winner, chicken dinner!! ... 😁

1 minute ago, Dreamr said:

I pay $100 per year for the privelidge of being able to get historic rego .. if I split that over 2 cars that adds $50 to my rego cost ...

So ... $96 per year to register each of my cars ... winner, winner, chicken dinner!! ... 😁

Ronnie,

Does your club require Pink Slips or do they have a club inspector?

4 minutes ago, johnhedge said:

Thanks all for comments so far. I own a Porsche and live in NSW. The NSW Porsche Club has an annual cost, I believe, of $135 p.a. which somewhat nullifies the  benefit.

Depends what you use the car for ...

If it's only for weekends then $135 + $46 = $181 per year for rego.

OR .... You could pay $600 - $800 for full rego for the year.

I can see the savings ... :cool07:

22 minutes ago, johnhedge said:

Ah! I've forgotten one important point. Mia culpa! I'm a pensioner and get my rego free. Sorry, sorry.

Well, yes ... I can see how that would affect things.

It would still be cheaper on historic rego as the green slip portion you need to pay for will still be more than $181. I would estimate $300 +

So, you really need to work out if you are going to drive the car more than 60 times per year ... if not, then you need to find out exactly how much the green slip will be and then decide if you want to save the difference ...

6 hours ago, johnhedge said:

Thanks all for comments so far. I own a Porsche and live in NSW. The NSW Porsche Club has an annual cost, I believe, of $135 p.a. which somewhat nullifies the  benefit.

6 hours ago, johnhedge said:

Ah! I've forgotten one important point. Mia culpa! I'm a pensioner and get my rego free. Sorry, sorry.

I did wonder how $135/year was more expensive than normal rego costs!  The only benefit I can see for you on historic rego is cheaper insurance. As soon as I got mine on historic/club ergo here in SA, I called Shannon's and my premium was exactly halved immediately.

I'm still gobsmacked you get free rego as a pensioner! Doubt that happens here in SA

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I'm still gobsmacked you get free rego as a pensioner! Doubt that happens here in SA

It's only the registration part that they get for free ... the CTP portion still has to be paid for ...

There is also a scheme in Sydney that if you pay $xx amount in road toll per month / year the government gives you the rego part for free as well ... I'm not in Sydney so don't know the exact details ...

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

I called Shannon's and my premium was exactly halved immediately

I just insured my 80 sc with Shannon’s on a low use policy that was cheaper than standard. I am going to move it to club rego in the next few months when it’s due and Shannon’s said the premium would drop again 👌👍 as I’m already a club member it’s not factored in to my cost process as I joined to do some club events in the future as well.

I was already on limited use @Tips with a lower premium which was great, though now I think my premium (after my accident last year) is about $280/year.

My 'rego' cost now is $130 club and $90/year for 90 days, though I usually only drive it twice a month. When a 3 month rego is well over $200, I'm saving a decent amount of cash per year