991 muffler on aircooled 911

Mike D'Silva

I know that the GT3 muffler has been used on the older aircooled cars. But I came across both a 997 muffler and also a 991 muffler. I'm wondering if it is worth trying either of the 997 or 991 mufflers?

Here is the inside of a GT3:

LP9KIsV.jpg

Here is the inside of the 997

z6kjPCh.jpg

And here are pics of the 991.. I have not found any cutaway photos of a 991 muffler yet?

k2fFu7j.jpg

wNBYonU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Raven said:

Sounds good to me ,,not overly loud and a refined sound ........:)

No, it is actually pretty obnoxious . Youtube makes it sound nice, but in person it is crazy loud. The above video, is without resonators.. just the rear muffler.

Resonators are now fitted... but I am not so crazy about the sound now.. They have taken the rasp away unfortunately. 

• 3 years later...

Hi Mike,

This is an old thread but are you still running the GT3 muffler, and were you able to find a good compromise between sound/power/torque/droning etc? I think you said that the big inlets were too loud and lost torque, but the quiet inlet fell a bit flat?

Cheers,
Lukas

hi Lukas

the car is sold and now in Melbourne but I believe it's still running the GT3 muff. 

From the Euro headers, at first I tried a 2 inch pipe to feed the "quiet" ports on the GT3 muff, since that was the diameter of the ports. Torque was amazing and it felt like a turbo with zero lag. Top end was breathless thou.. 

Then I tried 2.5inch pipes from the Euro headers, straight to the "loud" ports on the GT3 muff. Was a but loud for me, but it was a "nice" sound.. just too much volume. Also, very low torque down low. 

Then tried 2.25inch from Euro headers and fed to the quiet ports. Best compromise. Almost all the torque down low from the first set of 2 inch adapter pipes. And it just kept pumping all the way to redline with no drop off in urgency. At least, that was my recollection. Volume = subjective. To me, it was not that loud.. but when it was WOT and the rpm were up there, it sounded fantastic. 

However, might be a tad too loud to live with on a daily basis. I didn't mind so much, as it was a car to drive on occasion and enjoy, not for going to work every day or doing school runs etc etc