Home Engine Builders

Mike D'Silva

There was thread on this about 2 years ago where a number of engine reconditioners around the country were recommended.  I'll try and find it and post a link.

I think it's just a matter of asking around. 

Finding out who the renown Porsche rebuilders use is also another way. 

Balmain Engineering in one name that often comes up and they did my heads recently.

http://www.balmainengineering.com.au/s2/a/Index/contact/

I've only heard good things about Electrosil cylinder replating services: 

https://www.electrosil.com.au/

Of course I tried to save money by using NZ Cylinders but they had to do it twice before they were perfectly round.  A delay with NZ customs was the icing on the cake.

http://www.nzcylinders.com/Notes for Australian customers.html

• 7 months later...

I had a bad experience with Electrosil cylinder replating.

Their Nikasil replating job flaked off after low hours. If you look at the photo it just looks too thick. Nikasil gets very brittle when it is too thick.

Electrosil does offer a warranty to re-plate any faulty work but our engine was wrecked by the metal flakes which jammed the oil pressure relief valve and went all through the engine. So their warranty was useless and they would not refund.

I don't think another re-plating job would be successful anyway as I think the Nikasil was already too thick and on the next re-plating it would be even thicker

Very, very, expensive mistake. 

electrosil-plating-failure.JPG

3 hours ago, RTP said:

I had a bad experience with Electrosil cylinder replating.

Their Nikasil replating job flaked off after low hours. If you look at the photo it just looks too thick. Nikasil gets very brittle when it is too thick.

Electrosil does offer a warranty to re-plate any faulty work but our engine was wrecked by the metal flakes which jammed the oil pressure relief valve and went all through the engine. So their warranty was useless and they would not refund.

I don't think another re-plating job would be successful anyway as I think the Nikasil was already too thick and on the next re-plating it would be even thicker

Very, very, expensive mistake. 

electrosil-plating-failure.JPG

Gee. That's terrible. What engine is that cylinder from?

How long ago was this?

• 2 months later...

Apologies Mike, I didn't notice your post until now.

The engine was a German flat 4 Limbach L2400. It is a strange hybrid motor using VW and custom parts.

It had done 160 hours when the Nikasil peeled off.