Matt Close Day 2 Paloona Stage Targa Tas 2019

Meh...just another Sunday morning thrash for us...😳

Certifiable is the only word I can describe you lot that drive that hard in rallies. Bonkers...completely bonkers. Great looking roads though 

Yes, great driver and such technical roads. Definitely a different level of skill to driving on a track. 

Does anyone know Matt's driving history? I know he's done Targa a dozen times or so and won in 2016 but I assume he has some driving pedigree to be at that level?

On 1 May 2019 at 21:39, hugh said:

Something to be said for PDK in these instances, 

I had exactly the same thought watching that, you can see how PDK would be faster allowing you 2 hands on the wheel at all times.  Safer too....

i assume standard RS with some Tarmac rally suspension and pads? Unbelievably capable car.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

I had exactly the same thought watching that, you can see how PDK would be faster allowing you 2 hands on the wheel at all times.  Safer too....

That's what changed my mind about earlier Tiptronic cars

On 30 April 2019 at 22:15, TwoHeadsTas said:

Faark!!!! I just watched that again but in full screen version this time,  and was able to see the speedo - I saw 240kmh a couple of times!!!!

I just watched again on a larger screen and yep lots of 200+ and a couple of 240s...........😳

I listened to Grant Denyer being interviewed on Greg Rust podcast a while back and he talked about his Tarmac rally crash, exige into the trees.  He stared death in the face that day.  He has since decided to leave Tarmac rally for others, too much at stake, too dangerous.  

Travelling at 200+ on narrow bumpy back roads lined by trees, wow, kudos to Close (and the rest), that's amazing.

its like a spirited SMT drive on Reefton but at double + the speed

@DJM 

I reckon Grant Denyer was lightly told by his missus 'You're done mate!'. He did have a BIG off which would have scared anyone. My little off into a guard rail at under 60kph rattled me. If it was one corner prior, it would be have been very ugly.

All rally drivers have bigger nads than I'll ever possess 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

@DJM 

I reckon Grant Denyer was lightly told by his missus 'You're done mate!'. He did have a BIG off which would have scared anyone. My little off into a guard rail at under 60kph rattled me. If it was one corner prior, it would be have been very ugly.

All rally drivers have bigger nads than I'll ever possess 

Even though I drove in the very first Targa Tasmania, I reckon I'd be thinking twice if I got the opportunity to do it again - it's all too serious, and way beyond my meager capabilities.  If all goes to plan with the GT3 I might look at doing one of the Tour events, but certainly not the full blown thing....

Mate of mine purchased Quinny's 996 Turbo  and they did a tie rod end whilst leading Early Modern on day 3.  I haven't had  a chance to speak to him about it, and the photos don't seem to show and body damage, so I reckon they might have been lucky , but I reckon things might have got very hairy before they managed to pull up!!!

13 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Even though I drove in the very first Targa Tasmania, I reckon I'd be thinking twice if I got the opportunity to do it again - it's all too serious, and way beyond my meager capabilities.  If all goes to plan with the GT3 I might look at doing one of the Tour events, but certainly not the full blown thing....

Mate of mine purchased Quinny's 996 Turbo  and they did a tie rod end whilst leading Early Modern on day 3.  I haven't had  a chance to speak to him about it, and the photos don't seem to show and body damage, so I reckon they might have been lucky , but I reckon things might have got very hairy before they managed to pull up!!!

I agree on skipping the full thing.  I did the Tour last year with some mates and we are planning to go again next year.  I wouldn't do the full thing, the cars nowadays are way too fast, the tour is plenty fast enough (it's only the straights that are speed limited).  I left the 911 at home and took the Macan GTS as wanted 4wd, heated seats and road tyres instead of Cup 2 as I expected it was likely to rain a bit.  It was quick enough to be on the bumper of the new 991 Carerra's and 718/981s that were running through all the twisty bits.   If you do it, you'll have an absolute ball, Porsche put on a great event down there.

4 hours ago, DJM said:

I just watched again on a larger screen and yep lots of 200+ and a couple of 240s...........😳

I listened to Grant Denyer being interviewed on Greg Rust podcast a while back and he talked about his Tarmac rally crash, exige into the trees.  He stared death in the face that day.  He has since decided to leave Tarmac rally for others, too much at stake, too dangerous.  

Travelling at 200+ on narrow bumpy back roads lined by trees, wow, kudos to Close (and the rest), that's amazing.

its like a spirited SMT drive on Reefton but at double + the speed

Big big gonads on these dudes