Advise for moving from GT86 to 986 Boxster?

rufmichan

On 15/05/2019 at 21:15, Dave986 said:

This doesn't tell the whole story of course, but it's a start. You might miss the lack of bluetooth and decent sound system but hey, you buy these things to drive, not listen to the latest Jonas Brothers album.

New Jonas Brothers Album is out as of last week if anyone cares ;)

I just want to give an update to this topic. So on last Sunday, @Dave986 was generous enough to allow me to test drive his 986 just shortly after SMT. (Thanks Dave! :D

The first thing that I noticed the most is the engine. From the sound of the engine starting, until it ultimately opens up at 4000 RPM, it's just a completely different experience. The engine is buttery smooth too and definitely has more power down low compared to the GT86. It just climbs to traffic speed without breaking a sweat, whereas with GT86 you often have to wring its neck just to get that last bit of horses out. This factor alone, I think is more than enough for me to tip the scale over. 

(The 86 now feels like it has truck engine after testing driving 986...) 

I guess this is where Porsche drivability trumps their Japanese counterpart. They seem to be able to hit that balance between performance and day-to-day comfort better.  You don't always to have to drive the car to 10/10 in order to get enjoyment out of it. Dave's 986 is surprisingly more forgiving over bumps compared to the 86, even though the former has bigger wheels 18" vs 17".

If I were to pick a car exclusively for track at this price-level, I would probably stick to the 86 as it's easier to mod, and has cheaper consumable overall. But for the reason above, and for my use case of spending 90% of the time on daily basis in Melbourne's road and not on track, all signs point toward going to Porsche. 

Now it's just a matter of choosing whether I should get the  986 or the newer one. I cannot imagine how 987 would feel, if the 986 is this good! 

Seems minor 86 Driver.  Porsche seem to have it covered and recommend a clean every 50K/Kms. These cars with DI have been running happily for over 10 years now without major issues.  Love the instant power of the 3.4 and no IMS to dream about.

On 19/06/2019 at 23:14, rufmichan said:

I just want to give an update to this topic. So on last Sunday, @Dave986 was generous enough to allow me to test drive his 986 just shortly after SMT. (Thanks Dave! :D

The first thing that I noticed the most is the engine. From the sound of the engine starting, until it ultimately opens up at 4000 RPM, it's just a completely different experience. The engine is buttery smooth too and definitely has more power down low compared to the GT86. It just climbs to traffic speed without breaking a sweat, whereas with GT86 you often have to wring its neck just to get that last bit of horses out. This factor alone, I think is more than enough for me to tip the scale over. 

(The 86 now feels like it has truck engine after testing driving 986...) 

I guess this is where Porsche drivability trumps their Japanese counterpart. They seem to be able to hit that balance between performance and day-to-day comfort better.  You don't always to have to drive the car to 10/10 in order to get enjoyment out of it. Dave's 986 is surprisingly more forgiving over bumps compared to the 86, even though the former has bigger wheels 18" vs 17".

If I were to pick a car exclusively for track at this price-level, I would probably stick to the 86 as it's easier to mod, and has cheaper consumable overall. But for the reason above, and for my use case of spending 90% of the time on daily basis in Melbourne's road and not on track, all signs point toward going to Porsche. 

Now it's just a matter of choosing whether I should get the  986 or the newer one. I cannot imagine how 987 would feel, if the 986 is this good! 

It was my pleasure mate.

The engine in the 986 and early 987 are the same. I could be wrong, but I am sure someone here will be along to tell me if I am :).

We can chat more when I get back next month