Should I PPI?

base

Thanks Merv I’ll keep those in mind. 

Now just crossing my fingers that the ticking noise I can hear in the engine isn’t a bad bearing after giving the car an Italian tune up...

Dropped the oil yesterday and sent a stool sample off to Nulon for testing. The oil looked pretty fresh after 2000km and when I cut open the filter there were only a couple of miniscule metallic specs on it. I think my motor is quite healthy. Paranoia over. 

FF5C8548-6BC8-4986-AF03-1E75AF4D1FB6.jpeg

For anyone who is interested here is what my oil looked like after about six months and 2000km since last oil change. Metallic numbers all look excellent based on other analysis charts I’ve seen posted on m96 specific forums. 

I think I’ll do this each time I change the oil and see if it moves around. I used Nulon oil for this oil change. I wonder if that will make a difference? 

A9D649DD-B83A-47E4-88FF-A4E8BCDE9E9C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, 9er said:

I guess I am a bit baffled why you would do it again though.

To keep an eye on the condition of the bearing ....

If it starts to let go, it will show up in follow up tests. Then you can take preventative measures before it's too late ..

Yes if the copper count starts going up it’s probably your bearings down to the last layer and an early warning means just replacing the bearings and not the crank. 

Aluminium going up is probably the bores or pistons. 

Hopefully I’ll see neither 

• 2 months later...

Did the brakes on my Boxster over the last couple of weekends. Not difficult but literally a pain in the back when you’re doing it on jack stands with a dodgy lower back. 

Would have taken only one day if I’d been sent the correct front pads the first time. Apparently the 987 switched from 986 style pads to 997 style ones at some date after my car was produced....

The old discs had pretty nasty lips on them. No wonder the brakes didn’t impress. 

A9A50C71-F82E-4BE8-9A25-7BA853E17E12.jpeg

CEB679DC-2C3F-4A83-8387-BAE59C24D1ED.jpeg

B9307449-7784-461F-B165-35624FE2F01E.jpeg