Do Porsche dealers allow test drive?

I was originally looking to get a feel of the newer Boxster especially the 987 vs 986, or even the early Caymans. I've found some dealers (Porsche and non Porsche) that stock some. Now after spending few days researching both cars, I'm now curious on the 911 especially the earlier 997 and 996. 

Based on your experience, is it normal to just ask for a test drive at the dealership? I'm not looking at the high end models such as the GT3 or Turbo, just the Carrera for the 911, and Boxsters or Caymen  

Once you build up a relationship with a dealer you wont have an issue at all in test drives or even getting cars overnight from them. The biggest issue you face is that most of them will not carry 996 / 997 vintage cars in stock unless they are GT / Turbo cars. Even then you will struggle from the main Porsche franchised dealers to find such cars in their lots. You will have more success with the smaller independents out there in finding such cars. My personal experience has been great right from when I bought my first ever 911 back in '98 from PCM, where they would throw me the keys and let me go out on my own - Back then I was in my mid twenties too. 

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

Once you build up a relationship with a dealer you wont have an issue at all in test drives or even getting cars overnight from them. The biggest issue you face is that most of them will not carry 996 / 997 vintage cars in stock unless they are GT / Turbo cars. Even then you will struggle from the main Porsche franchised dealers to find such cars in their lots. You will have more success with the smaller independents out there in finding such cars. My personal experience has been great right from when I bought my first ever 911 back in '98 from PCM, where they would throw me the keys and let me go out on my own - Back then I was in my mid twenties too. 

Yeah I don't expect most of them to have 996 or 997 in stock. For the dealer case I'm looking more towards Boxster and Cayman. 

Did you have to leave deposit or anything (other than usual procedural stuff like license, waiver etc) to be able to test-drive? 

5 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

Yeah I don't expect most of them to have 996 or 997 in stock. For the dealer case I'm looking more towards Boxster and Cayman. 

Did you have to leave deposit or anything (other than usual procedural stuff like license, waiver etc) to be able to test-drive? 

Mate, find a couple of private sales not too far from you and go look and test drive. no obligation to buy.

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Mate, find a couple of private sales not too far from you and go look and test drive. no obligation to buy.

Alright I'll probably go and see few in the coming weeks. I wasn't sure of this before as I don't want to waste their time without real offer. 

7 hours ago, rufmichan said:

I was originally looking to get a feel of the newer Boxster especially the 987 vs 986, or even the early Caymans. I've found some dealers (Porsche and non Porsche) that stock some. Now after spending few days researching both cars, I'm now curious on the 911 especially the earlier 997 and 996. 

Based on your experience, is it normal to just ask for a test drive at the dealership? I'm not looking at the high end models such as the GT3 or Turbo, just the Carrera for the 911, and Boxsters or Caymen  

You would be better off coming out on a weekend run and grabbing some seat time in these cars, this will also allow you to get owners feedback/ownership experience first hand. Hard to get a valuable experience in these cars on a drive around the block, you really need to get to know them as they are all quite different cars. 

When I was looking for my 987 CS I looked at one Porsche Brighton had in stock - I was given the keys and let loose unsupervised for an hour without any problems. But I agree with Hugh - a wider variety at a PFA get together!

7 hours ago, GC9911 said:

很长的路要试驾!

hmm.some friendly dealer can let you test drive a long way,but some bad dealer only can let you test 3-5 kilometers, and individual dealers will also have their own test drive site

2/5000

7 hours ago, firstone said:

欢迎来到论坛。

thx:D

1 hour ago, DuHuiJun said:

hmm.some friendly dealer can let you test drive a long way,but some bad dealer only can let you test 3-5 kilometers, and individual dealers will also have their own test drive site

2/5000

thx:D

Fair enough, welcome to the forum.