Drivers power seat won't move fwd/back

911BB

Well team, its randomly happened, my drivers seat has been in the same spot for ages, my wife gets in and presto the seat wont adjust fwd or back, all other functions work fine (hence fuses are good). I hear the click when button pressed both fwd/back and reakon its a simple motor replacement (996 624 322 00). The problem is the seat is positioned so that I only have access to the front 2 torx screws.

Very confident there is no debris etc that impends movement along track (cleaned recently after seat removal). Very difficult to see under seat due to the seat being positioned towards the rear of the track and the control unit obstructs vision in the front.

Does anyone know how i can move the seat fwd mechanically, taking into consideration how tight things look under neath........

I fixed my drivers seat in my 3.2 by squirting some Contact cleaner spray into the switch a few times and then giving it a burst of compressed air. It's worked the last five years now without a problem. Not sure with a 996 but could be dirty or arced contacts with a bit of carbon on them which just need a clean.  Contact cleaner cans are not expensive so give it a try.  I did unbolt the seat and push the switch out to get some access to its interior.

I'd be interested to see how this works out, i'm always fearful that the seat will fail in a position you can't get to the bolts...

Can you get to the motor to either spray it with some contact cleaner or remove it? Does it move up/down (vertically)?

Have you checked in your owners manual? My 928 has a manual release lever under the front of the seat that allows you to move it manually. I would be surprised if 996 was not similar?

Also some cars have a crank handle, similar to sunroof ones, for manually moving electric seats.

ok, i've managed to stick my son's head between the back seat and the drivers seat, and armed with a little hammer, tap the motor whilst pressing button, enough to allow movement fwd to expose all 4 torx screws!

gonna pull the seat out over the weekend and take it from there, perhaps hopefully a clean and lube is in order, (thanks Big Dav and Dan_189) but a motor replacement is no biggie either.

ANF - no manual mode on this one!

update you all later

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed mine 3 weeks ago. Took the seat out and noticed that the shaft leading to the adjuster had fallen out. You can tell when you press button and you hear the noises but no action.It's very very simple to do. If you reach under the seat you might even feel the cable that is lose.