Discussions with the Constabulary...

I am off to Europe soon with their higher speeds, will be a blast! Even the US has higher speed limits than we do!

Yes Tassie does have some relaxed interpretations, now don't all you northerners come down and ruin it for us... 🙄

I just got my first ticket in many years...60 (exactly) in a 50 zone.  My fault, as I missed the 50km sign on a 6 lane road, however the $475 fine was, I thought, a tad excessive,

And I understand the fines are going up in the budget coming out next week.....Will need to take out a mortgage increase if I get caught again!!

This in a state where there are zero checks on vehicle to see if it is roadworthy, even when selling one...just sign the papers, pay the tax and you can legally drive anything, no matter what the mechanical condition!!

Should this be in the "Rant" section???

40 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Wanker! People like him are part of the problem with these dickheads incessantly driving well under the limit causing frustration to others. Cops have a job to do and I'm cool with that, yet their collective cries of being a lunatic causing accidents 5-8kph over the limit is just stupid.

couldn't agree more Lee.

2 hours ago, PhilH said:

Unfortunately you cannot be polite to a speed camera...

sadly so true.

Hey Jason you weren't a cop in Ipswich back in the late 70's early 80's were you? If so, It wasn't me, I wasn't there and I didn't ask this question 😀😂🤣

Boy could I tell you some stories about QLD cops back in those days. We never called them the Police Force, we called them Joh's Gestapo and for good reasons🤬

2 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Hey Jason you weren't a cop in Ipswich back in the late 70's early 80's were you? If so, It wasn't me, I wasn't there and I didn't ask this question 😀😂🤣

Boy could I tell you some stories about QLD cops back in those days. We never called them the Police Force, we called them Joh's Gestapo and for good reasons🤬

Hey there Legs,

Bit before my time i'm afraid.  I didn't march into the Academy until '98.  Was born in '71 so missed out on the "Golden Era" of Queensland Policing under Adolf Bjelke-Petersen :ph34r: by quite a ways.  Certainly worked with a few of the old timers in the first few years who remembered that time fondly...   

14 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Obviously you were on the wrong side...My father was a QLD Cop from Academy at 16 to retirement at 55.  Cairns, Longreach, Ipswich, Bundaberg & Brisbane...saved my licence a couple of times in my youth 🙂  Fine upstanding gentlemen one and all!

All good Jason. Yes was a very interesting time. Fondly for us plebs is not a word I would use😀

If you were on a motorcycle or driving a Porsche (of which I had both) you were singled out, sometimes in a dangerous manner by the Gestapo err sorry I mean policeman even though I was doing nothing wrong.

Tried to take the cops to court one day to get off a ticket that was absolute bullshit and was told in no uncertain terms by the Police (not a Lawyer) don't bother, you won't get off and implied "we know where you live" 

That is just one of many stories I could tell you and believe me that is tame. 

4 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Obviously you were on the wrong side...My father was a QLD Cop from Academy at 16 to retirement at 55.  Cairns, Longreach, Ipswich, Bundaberg & Brisbane...saved my licence a couple of times in my youth 🙂  Fine upstanding gentlemen one and all!

When was he in Ipswich Phil?

4 minutes ago, PhilH said:

What year did he retire?

All good Jason. Yes was a very interesting time. Fondly for us plebs is not a word I would use😀

If you were on a motorcycle or driving a Porsche (of which I had both) you were singled out, sometimes in a dangerous manner by the Gestapo err sorry I mean policeman even though I was doing nothing wrong.

Tried to take the cops to court one day to get off a ticket that was absolute bullshit and was told in no uncertain terms by the Police (not a Lawyer) don't bother, you won't get off and implied "we know where you live" 

I came across a few 'ordinary' cops in the late 80s & early 90s so I know what you're saying.  Hopefully they were the minority. 

I was there from age 12 to 15...so would have been 1969-1971

1 minute ago, Jason E said:

What year did he retire?

He retired back in 1983..then went to work in the Family Court for 10 years before his second retirement.

On 14/06/2019 at 20:55, mhh said:

Gotta love Tassie. We were stopped by hwy patrol in Feb near Ouse. Officer said there had been complaints from the motoring public about speeding sports cars. After a few minutes chatting about said sports cars, our officer was satisfied with a couple of selfies and we were on our way. Only in the Apple Isle.

Must have been the same one that chatted to us down there. Was still setting up as we crested the rise, only to catch up with us as we had stopped for coffee. A warning about not scaring locals (who drive at 90 and won't let you pass) then a conversation about local real estate. "Enjoy the rest of a safe drive".

Friday we set up our road works on Tweed coast road just as the police,  fire and hazmat had cleaned up an accident.  80klm zone 20,000 vehicle's per day. Reduced to 60klm with all the usual advance warning signs 90% of drivers still doing close to 80. Two Hway patrols nailed about 30 of them.

I laugh at them. Dickheads tail gating texting no respect.

Sorry we're not popular slowing or stopping traffic but we deserve to go home safe as well. 😜

28 minutes ago, firstone said:

Friday we set up our road works on Tweed coast road just as the police,  fire and hazmat had cleaned up an accident.  80klm zone 20,000 vehicle's per day. Reduced to 60klm with all the usual advance warning signs 90% of drivers still doing close to 80. Two Hway patrols nailed about 30 of them.

I laugh at them. Dickheads tail gating texting no respect.

Sorry we're not popular slowing or stopping traffic but we deserve to go home safe as well. 😜

This is the one dimensional thinking by the state I hate .... we have 20000 cars per day, one idiot stacks and speeds are dropped to 60. It just frustrates 95% of drivers, sorry 99%.

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

This is the one dimensional thinking by the state I hate .... we have 20000 cars per day, one idiot stacks and speeds are dropped to 60. It just frustrates 95% of drivers, sorry 99%.

To be clear. We had maintenance to do or short term work. We don't set up or start on high volume roads until after 9am so the peak (about 5000 between 730am and 9am) traffic gets away. We reduce the limit according to proximity to workers. Should have been 40klmh because they were within 1.2m.

Considering the traffic refused to do the new limit we are then required to stop them and send one lane at a time. We made the reasonable choice but it backfired on us. Yes the police capitalized on the situation but they were motivated by safety. 

Just saying because this is what they face regularly so they take a hard line. We have to as well, which we try to avoid as much as possible. 

Traveling 500m at 60 vs 80 costs how many seconds? SFA

Just perspective not judgment. 

On 14/06/2019 at 18:46, TwoHeadsTas said:

Let off with a warning which duly arrived in the mail today, all OK as long as I'm a good boy for the next 3 years...

You fared better than me then. I pulled into a roadside RBT recently and after blowing 0.00, two of them went over the car with a fine-toothed comb trying to pick defects.

They eventually settled on the roll cage. I explained (politely) that it is of course a factory option and registered as a two seater. Despite not having an infringement since the mid-90s, they ticked the "defect" box on the infringement notice...right beside the "warning" box. 

PITA having to go to an inspection station with proof that the cage was an option, then to the RTA to clear the "defect" within a two week period.

1 hour ago, JV911 said:

You fared better than me then. I pulled into a roadside RBT recently and after blowing 0.00, two of them went over the car with a fine-toothed comb trying to pick defects.

They eventually settled on the roll cage. I explained (politely) that it is of course a factory option and registered as a two seater. Despite not having an infringement since the mid-90s, they ticked the "defect" box on the infringement notice...right beside the "warning" box. 

PITA having to go to an inspection station with proof that the cage was an option, then to the RTA to clear the "defect" within a two week period.

What Ass holes ................were they Hwy Wankers ...???

37 minutes ago, Raven said:

What Ass holes ................were they Hwy Wankers ...???

I don't think so. Goes to show that there are wankers in all walks of life - Other cops have given me the thumbs-up, but whoever these clowns were probably resented having to do RBT at 7 on a Sunday morning :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, JV911 said:

I don't think so. Goes to show that there are wankers in all walks of life - Other cops have given me the thumbs-up, but whoever these clowns were probably resented having to do RBT at 7 on a Sunday morning :rolleyes:

If I or anyone else behaved in a discriminative  manor such as that or decided to screw someone over because I was in a position of power ,,,,in this day and age I would expect to get a swift kick in the back side or a rap over the knuckles at the very least ,,,,,so how do these pricks get away with this sort of crap .......?

On 16/06/2019 at 15:08, ANF said:

I am off to Europe soon with their higher speeds, will be a blast! Even the US has higher speed limits than we do!

Yes Tassie does have some relaxed interpretations, now don't all you northerners come down and ruin it for us... 🙄

I drive quite a lot in the states, the general rule there is; 9 your fine, 10 your mine they generally just drive to the pace of the traffic flow... I like it a lot better, some cities are better/worse than others but generally I find its a really good place to drive. 

In Europe (well notably Germany) I like the etiquette, if they see you coming in hot, the cars in front generally move for you... in Australia, they like to drive 10 under the limit in the passing lane, then proceed to mouth off at other motorists that dare pass them (in the left lane). :LOL:  

Now I've definitely had my fun on Tassie roads... I am sure giving mainlanders a bad wrap! 😛 

7 hours ago, JV911 said:

They eventually settled on the roll cage. I explained (politely) that it is of course a factory option and registered as a two seater. Despite not having an infringement since the mid-90s, they ticked the "defect" box on the infringement notice...right beside the "warning" box

Dickheads were probably just jealous of your car mate 

5 hours ago, edgy said:

I drive quite a lot in the states, the general rule there is; 9 your fine, 10 your mine they generally just drive to the pace of the traffic flow... I like it a lot better, some cities are better/worse than others but generally I find its a really good place to drive. 

In Europe (well notably Germany) I like the etiquette, if they see you coming in hot, the cars in front generally move for you... in Australia, they like to drive 10 under the limit in the passing lane, then proceed to mouth off at other motorists that dare pass them (in the left lane). :LOL:  

Now I've definitely had my fun on Tassie roads... I am sure giving mainlanders a bad wrap! 😛 

I was in the US for an extended time in 1991 and I don't remember such leniency of speed limits. They were then quite courteous, as they mostly are now, something most Aussies could take a leaf from!!

This time around I was doing my usual 5 odd over the limit only to have a steady stream fly past!! Well until, a corner came up :D

I think the days of Tassie being lenient of "enthusiastic" drivers are numbered, there was massive backlash from the PCA group that had a big off last year on an organised run, destroyed the car and made headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Take it easy down here if you want the relaxed atmosphere to stay.....

12 hours ago, ANF said:

I was in the US for an extended time in 1991 and I don't remember such leniency of speed limits. They were then quite courteous, as they mostly are now, something most Aussies could take a leaf from!!

This time around I was doing my usual 5 odd over the limit only to have a steady stream fly past!! Well until, a corner came up :D

It's definitely regional... I learnt the hard way, if you want to die, do the speed limit in Chicago! :lol: If you prefer to live, drive with the locals at 20 mph over... 

13 hours ago, ANF said:

I think the days of Tassie being lenient of "enthusiastic" drivers are numbered, there was massive backlash from the PCA group that had a big off last year on an organised run, destroyed the car and made headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Take it easy down here if you want the relaxed atmosphere to stay.....

Yes, I'd forgotten about the Russian lady......  There was quite a FB stink, that's for sure.

Groups coming from PCV and PCNSW in Nov and Feb, we'll give them a "briefing" when they come off the boat 🙂  Will also get a copper mate to check out the current lay of the land at that time in case there's any changed "interpretations" applying......