718 GT4 (and Spyder) revealed - the 6 pot is still in tact

edgy

Yes, I saw the video comparing both models and even with the stock exhaust I was surprised how much better the 981 sounded.

As a 981 GT4 owner for the past 3 years, I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the 718 model in terms of many of things listed above. Pricing seems to have gone up a lot. 50k more then what I paid... and with some simple bolt ons and ECU remap can fix the low end torque issue, which has again come up in the new model. 0-100km per hour not under 4 seconds, heavier, prefer the rear of the 981, exhaust note on 981 far suprerior.. I might as well buy a DeLorean instead and go back in time and buy a 981 again. In saying that there are some good 981 GT4s with all the right options at 172-190k. Big savings compared to a new 718. 

Granted from reading reviews and watching vids the 718 sounds like a great car, but I am surprised with the small amount of "improvements" for the price tag and can't imagine many 981 owners flocking to it.

Certainly looking forward in seeing a gt4rs, but feel this won't happen until the gt3 and gt3rs models are far superior, as the gt4rs will slaughter them if they actually put PDK and a 4.0L gt3 engine into it right now.

981s now sub $160k.  Great car for the coin.  With the new one $250k ish and seemingly not a big step on, buy this instead and use the $100k saved to buy a Macan for daily duties.  

6a2117c2140ff528bf5c60b9b331c24e.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2016-Porsche-Cayman-GT4-981-Manual-MY16/OAG-AD-16574615

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us that haven't had the pleasure of buying a new Porsche, how hard is it to get an order in for a 718 GT4 or Spyder?  

Will a dealer only have a certain number of allocations and they go to previous customers or is it possible to roll in and put down a deposit and order straight off the bat?

Given the current climate I think you'll be able to get one. Just ring around.

In Sydney for example there is a tendency for people to only talk to PCSS about GT cars. With my GT3 calling two years before it was due to PCSS they wouldn't even take my deposit as 1. I wasn't a previous customer, and 2. They had that many deposits they didn't think they could fill them. Called PCP and I was about 8th on the list (memory is sketcy). By the time the cars rolled around, someone dropped out and I was able to jump up the list to get one of the early ones into the country, 2nd delivery to PCP.

I'll be honest, I've had to sit on my hands in order to stop myself calling about a Spyder after seeing the new one at Goodwood. Looks so nice.

On 12/08/2019 at 10:47, Big Dav said:

For those of us that haven't had the pleasure of buying a new Porsche, how hard is it to get an order in for a 718 GT4 or Spyder?  

Will a dealer only have a certain number of allocations and they go to previous customers or is it possible to roll in and put down a deposit and order straight off the bat?

I was at my local PC the other day and the SA said that with the 981 GT4 after the initial launch they were struggling to get enough allocations with lots of orders so you needed to have placed a deposit or be on the list.

However, with the 982/718 GT4 I think he said he had had only 2 orders with not a lot of other interest. They said if I wanted one they could order me one!

I guess although the new GT4 has some improvements and is no doubt a great car it does not have the hype of the old one. Or perhaps people are biding their time and waiting/hoping for a PDK version. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I re-read an Aussie review at the international launch today which mentioned these would start arriving in November... Has anyone received theirs yet? I was thinking about popping in to a dealer while I'm on holidays and have nothing better to do, and see if I can spy a Spyder in the metal... 

• 3 weeks later...