The Real 911, one for the purists

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So any opinions out there on what constitutes a real 911???

Theo,

I will never forget my first P car.

1985 Carrera manual 3.2L, light nimble, quick,

super reliable and seemed to run for ever.

It really felt bullet proof with heaps of character.

It had 150k on the clock but it felt like it only had 10K's.

Absolutely loved it and wished I still had it.

Theo,

Its clear........78 SC (preferably Australian delivered in White :rolleyes: )........none of this new fangled stuff like power steering, an airconditioner that actually cools (let alone vents big enough to deliver it), or a slick short shift gearbox, if not flappy paddly things!!

Now you know why when, at the end of an invigorating SMT, whilst you guys in newer models, climb out of your cars without a crease on your shirt sleeves, we in the REAL 911's pour ourselves onto the pavement in absolute exhaustion, and excitement that A, we made it, and B, the car is still going strong !! :D :D

But we love every second of it !! ( would love a 997 though.........)

I cant argue with the man...............

After looking to buy a newer 911 (and driving) I felt they did not suit my 'ideal' 911. I decided to spend that hard earned on my little red 911 that I fell in love with as a 21 year old and I cant say at this point I regret it. I have always believed the 'impact' bumper cars are well underrated, they tend to fly under the radar and I think thats why I find them appealing.

I would not say they are the ultimate 911, that depends on the day of the week - All 911's have their appeal, thats what makes them so cool...............

Theo,

Its clear........78 SC (preferably Australian delivered in White :rolleyes: )........none of this new fangled stuff like power steering, an airconditioner that actually cools (let alone vents big enough to deliver it), or a slick short shift gearbox, if not flappy paddly things!!

Now you know why when, at the end of an invigorating SMT, whilst you guys in newer models, climb out of your cars without a crease on your shirt sleeves, we in the REAL 911's pour ourselves onto the pavement in absolute exhaustion, and excitement that A, we made it, and B, the car is still going strong !! :D :D

But we love every second of it !! ( would love a 997 though.........)

what he said! I work with brand new cars every day 37.gif, they are just work, the SC is for fun :D

If you can drive it then its a real 911.

Now there is an unbiased opinion.

I find it interesting that we ourselves judge what is a 911 and what isn't. Porsche calls the 991 the latest of 911 iterations, yet we may prefer to believe that something in the mid 80s was the line in the sand for 911s. Maybe we are a little confused and should borrow some terminology from the hot rod fraternity. "Old skool" is a term that comes to mind which may really encompass what we mean.

I would dearly love a early to mid 70s 911, with all its quirks and idiosyncrasies. That raw and edgy performance that tests the driver in every man. However I would love to have one of its grandchildren, in the guise of a 997 GT3 or maybe even a 991!!! There is no doubt the presence of the genetic DNA inherited through the generations.

The early guys like to take the piss out of the 90s guys, and the 90s guys like to take the piss out of the water pumpers, but the reality is that we are only taking the piss out of each other!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Nicely written Theo. As long as its got the Porsche badge on it that will do me. There isnt any iteration of the 911 model I wouldn't have in some form. Love them all.

I just feel so lucky to be able to say that I actually own one!! :)

C

After this bit in the first linked article I stopped reading:

"They (99x GT2/GT3) are probably just too good. Or at least I’m assuming they are. I have never actually driven any of the aforementioned cars, but I really don’t need to."

Everybody is allowed their opinion, but that's not opinion, it's prejudice, and prejudice is just plain wrong. There may be reasons to dislike any Porsche, from a pre-A 356 to the latest Panamera, but if you decide that you don't like it without driving it why should anybody care what you have to say next?

After this bit in the first linked article I stopped reading:

"They (99x GT2/GT3) are probably just too good. Or at least I’m assuming they are. I have never actually driven any of the aforementioned cars, but I really don’t need to."

Everybody is allowed their opinion, but that's not opinion, it's prejudice, and prejudice is just plain wrong. There may be reasons to dislike any Porsche, from a pre-A 356 to the latest Panamera, but if you decide that you don't like it without driving it why should anybody care what you have to say next?

A poor mans excuse for not being able to afford a new Porsche maybe?

Now there is an unbiased opinion.

I find it interesting that we ourselves judge what is a 911 and what isn't. Porsche calls the 991 the latest of 911 iterations, yet we may prefer to believe that something in the mid 80s was the line in the sand for 911s. Maybe we are a little confused and should borrow some terminology from the hot rod fraternity. "Old skool" is a term that comes to mind which may really encompass what we mean.

I would dearly love a early to mid 70s 911, with all its quirks and idiosyncrasies. That raw and edgy performance that tests the driver in every man. However I would love to have one of its grandchildren, in the guise of a 997 GT3 or maybe even a 991!!! There is no doubt the presence of the genetic DNA inherited through the generations.

The early guys like to take the piss out of the 90s guys, and the 90s guys like to take the piss out of the water pumpers, but the reality is that we are only taking the piss out of each other!!!

Just my 2 cents.

The thing that drew me to love Porsches, in particular the 911 is the evolution of design. It can be said that this conversation is unique as not many other manufacturers (none that I can think of) have continued to evolve a model to the extent of the 911 - I think this is why the discussion is always so relevant and interesteing. I dont think many of us here would turn down any 911 given the choice between it and it's competitors.

A poor mans excuse for not being able to afford a new Porsche maybe?

No, I think it's more of the tribalism that we have a thread about.

One of my colleagues here is blinkered against anything that does not have six aircooled cylinders and mahoosive power. of course everybody is allowed to have preferences, but as I keep saying, in my best country vicar manner "we worship in a broad church". There are very many ways for cars to be fun. More power is only one of those ways. What irks me is people slagging off cars that they have never driven. It's just another version of "I don't see the attraction of a (classic) 911...it's basically just a VW Beetle, isn't it?"

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

No, I think it's more of the tribalism that we have a thread about.

One of my colleagues here is blinkered against anything that does not have six aircooled cylinders and mahoosive power. of course everybody is allowed to have preferences, but as I keep saying, in my best country vicar manner "we worship in a broad church". There are very many ways for cars to be fun. More power is only one of those ways. What irks me is people slagging off cars that they have never driven. It's just another version of "I don't see the attraction of a (classic) 911...it's basically just a VW Beetle, isn't it?"

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

i hate it when people refer to early P cars as VW's!! that really pisses me off for some reason

Just my 2 cents.

desismileys_4427.gif

That's not fair, us Boxster people can't take the piss out of anyone.

This is a cracking topic, and so, when I win $20mill Saturday night, I've decided I will buy 6 Porsches, to give me a garage that truly represents the marque ( not counting the SC).......... So what would they be...???

Archived