The Alfarrari. My Ferrari engined Alfa 105 build

11 minutes ago, firstone said:

Bet you're glad for all the new tools since you started.

My garage doesn't look much like it did when I started my 911, and I must admit it is getting less and less like you average home garage. Accumulating tools is very satisfying and makes jobs much quicker. I could have folded all of those pieces in the vice like I did on the other cars, but now the process has been sped up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't even imagine how many times that battered shell was in a body shop and someone said 'she'll be right mate, we'll just dodgy it up, the owner will never know'.

Or worse, the owner did know and didn't care.

I once looked at a 105 to buy.  In comparison Jeff's car is a straight rust free example.  I've never seen a more rusty car with plates on it than that one.  Never looked at another Alfa again after that!

I guess not many of them fared well then. 

I rekon jeffs got it sussed. Very clever mate. Self taught, the right equipment and oodles of enthusiasm. 

I've had talented men work on old rusty Falcons back through my early teens and twenties.

You've got it.

I wish we had better rust treatment methods then. I'd still own an XB 351 GS fmx auto and lsd, numbers matching. 😂

I have seen some cars that were immaculate, show winning, pristine examples that suddenly have a strange little bubble appear in the paint. Dig a little bit and what was underneath of these 'fully restored' cars was horrendous! You really don't know what is under that shiny paint, which is scary.

In 1938 Rudolf Caracciola set a speed record of 432 kmh on the autobahn, in a 725hp Mercedes streamliner.   It was the fastest speed set on a public road until Koenigsegg broke it in 2017 in Nevada.  In 1938.  Bernd Rosemeyer died the same day in an Auto Union, crashing at estimated 400kmh.   He had no seatbelt and was flung onto the road and the car hit a bridge abutment.  They stopped trying to set records on the autobahn after that.  The Auto Union car was designed by Ferdinand Porsche.

Maybe material for Mrs Jeff in a future episode, although a little morbid.

23 hours ago, Coastr said:

In 1938 Rudolf Caracciola set a speed record of 432 kmh on the autobahn, in a 725hp Mercedes streamliner.   It was the fastest speed set on a public road until Koenigsegg broke it in 2017 in Nevada

That's just nuts! 

• 2 weeks later...