[VIC] Haunted Hills Social Hillclimb III - 20th Oct

Great to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves. As I mentioned throughout the day, the layout at Haunted Hills allows you to explore your limits without having to go at crazy speeds. The changing cambers, corners demanding quick changes of direction, elevation changes etc. really challenge you and your car and you quickly realise it's not all about speed but critically balance and car control.

Having the rain for the early sessions really highlighted the technicality of the place and forced everyone to slow down - this in many ways I think was a good thing. As everyone's confidence and momentum grew so too did the grip levels etc. as the track dried out. By lunch we had a dry track and for those that stuck around the afternoon provided plenty of dry track time and yet another learning experience as conditions improved and they were able to build on the mornings sessions. 

Days like this are all about learning and the conditions provided a great test for exactly that. These are not competition events but rather a day where you can feel comfortable (without any pressure) and hopefully gain some valuable experience. 

A big thank you to @Kerry and @9fan for organising it all and making it happen. 

@Mike737 & Mark for helping with the car scrutiny. 

@monty188 for braving the cold and manning the track entry - thank you. 

@Niko for the photos.

It was also great to see some other members come out for a look @RedMan @StevepGT3 (and others, sorry I can't remember everyone handle) 

And finally to Rhys and the South Gippsland Car Club (including the ladies in the canteen!) for always being so accommodating and providing such a great facility. 

Thanks to all that attended, everyone (aside from @Skidmarks ) was very well behaved. ;)

Thanks for organising a great day @Kerry and @9fan - and for @hugh and @Mike737 who were game enough to jump in the passenger seat to give me a few pointers.

Great to see a few new members who were excited about getting on the track for the first time.  Definitely challenging conditions in the morning but a hell of a lot of fun!

14 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

And @wilberforce, sorry I didn’t take you for a ride.  I waited a couple of times but you were too intent on doing more runs. More power to you!

I did get my fair share of track time @Skidmarks - shame you had to head off before the track dried up, would love to see that car at full noise around the track.

I am going to put a few photos from the day up on my instagram (nikocayman)  account eventually.   

If you do not want your car to appear on Insta please pm me ....or  I can blur number plates if required.

7 minutes ago, hugh said:

Can you blur the image to make it look like I was going faster?

Maybe next time I will come along and bring a telephoto lens and fiddle with the depth of field and shutter speed, so as there will be a lot of blurred background.  You will look fast even when just coasting in the pits.

45 minutes ago, hugh said:

Can you blur the image to make it look like I was going faster?

Hugh, you were one that suffered from the rain drops on the lens unfortunately, a lot of the panned shots were spoilt by the rain drop blur. 

I lost about fifty images.:(

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, Airhead said:

Hey @Admin. About time the banner on the front page was removed.

Or are we having another one this year? 😀

Just for info guy's I spoke to Kez earlier in the year and it seems we are dropping our own hire days and would have to organise our own attendance on a club day !

On 16/06/2020 at 18:08, 9fan said:

Just for info guy's I spoke to Kez earlier in the year and it seems we are dropping our own hire days and would have to organise our own attendance on a club day !

That’s a shame Mark

I would be interested to come and have a look at you guys in action.