To spoil or not to spoil?

Merv

Convertible Airhead?  Is even a category in our current all-encompassing Antidiscrimination Act?  Maybe that should have special legislation as well.

The car made 150km trip home very nicely.  Runs like a turbine and pulls really well.  That gearbox is better than my 901 and the 915 I have driven. The Sports Seats are best seats I have ever experienced in any Porsche.  Makes me feel like its a 901 car as it is quite small but without the annoying limitations in spec.  Lots of small things to do that most involve cleaning and lots of driving!  RWC Monday and rego same day. 

As for rear spoiler, never say never, but if it had another 100hp maybe.  Simple bodied-goodness.

Thanks Lee.

IMG_20190725_120106.jpg

Phew! Glad you're happy mate 😁👍

As I mentioned to you, I now understand what all the fuss is about with the G50 'box. So precise compared to stirring a bowl of porridge like a 901 or 915 😁 👍

I was also well impressed with how quick the car spins up without all the noise my, and other 911's I've driven make. Ease up the revs in 2nd and then wwwwwwhoooossh....it's off...shit change to 3rd! Great fun 👍 Enjoy Merv 

Merv, little bit of info on your car for you. 

1987 911 3.2 

L908 - Grand Prix White

LT - LT was a black leatherette interior with partial leather seats

C23 - Aust Delivery

383 - Sports seat, left, electrical height adjustment

387 - Sports seat, right, electrical height adjustment

395 - 16" Fuchs forged alloy wheels, front 6" with 205/55, rear 7" with 225/50 tyres

425 Rear window wiper

454 - Automatic speed control

490 - Sound system

559 - Air conditioner

650 - Sun-moon-roof

975 - Luggage compartment velour carpet

5 hours ago, Airhead said:

I've got a '89 3.2 with spoilers front and rear and I love the look of it.

But - I'd really like a G series narrow body non spoiler convertible. There. I said it!

You’ll have to chop the top off a mid year Targa to get the true narrow body convertible.  But it would be a cool project with a 74 or 75.

964 convertibles are cool tho.

Thanks again Cafe-Racer.  I had the same I believe from PCM.  The seats are in outstanding condition.

Have now been through the receipts and within the last 5000kms it has had an engine refresh with new conrod bearings, rings, cylinder heads refurbished, new head studs  with other components for the top end and also a new clutch, with pivot bearing and upgraded thrust bearing fork.  Good to go.

Actually had this one mixed up with another white one I was looking at. Think they were asking $115K from memory. This is the one that was being held at Buiks whilst the owner (Gregg) was O/S.

The car had spent some time in the UK before returning back to OZ. I had asked for additional photos, but nothing came through. I'm assuming you already know about it, but they mentioned something about slight surface rust on some of the suspension components, nothing serious but they did mention it. Top end rebuild was done by RSR.

Looked like a good car on the surface, but needed to be checked out in person to confirm. Looks like a nice one, glad it all worked out. Congrats.

Thanks Nikos. I was told that and had it checked in the PPI.   I have a hoist and will be going over the car carefully on the underside after its 2 years in the UK.  Much has already been done with new bushings and sway bar brackets I can see in the receipts.  However, everything underneath will be thoroughly cleaned of any remaining surface corrosion and the Dinitrol will be in action afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

The whale tail in the photo above and on gumtree, is this the period correct whale tail?

ive seen the different versions just have not come across a reference as to which is for which year or model. Example. Which tail came out on turbos, etc.

anyone seen such a reference?

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread 😎

I have recently purchased an '89 Carrera with a tail (my car is actually in Merv's picture above... and thanks again @Merv for your assistance in purchasing).

I have checked my options codes and there is no mention of front or rear spoiler on the codes.

Does this mean the mine was not delivered with a tail? Or should it even have a code if it had a front chin spoiler? Or were all late model G series delivered with a chin front spoiler?

Cheers

4 hours ago, crsedge said:

Resurrecting this thread 😎

I have recently purchased an '89 Carrera with a tail (my car is actually in Merv's picture above... and thanks again @Merv for your assistance in purchasing).

I have checked my options codes and there is no mention of front or rear spoiler on the codes.

Does this mean the mine was not delivered with a tail? Or should it even have a code if it had a front chin spoiler? Or were all late model G series delivered with a chin front spoiler?

Cheers

I don't believe the spoilers were on the options list. Would be very hard to tell. 

I'm guessing this is the car that was at porschaden during covid and sold again recently privately? 260ish kms from memory. If that's the car, I believe it was factory with both spoilers. 

47 minutes ago, 911 said:

I don't believe the spoilers were on the options list. Would be very hard to tell. 

I'm guessing this is the car that was at porschaden during covid and sold again recently privately? 260ish kms from memory. If that's the car, I believe it was factory with both spoilers. 

No wasn't at Porschaden, was from QLD

It appears option 473 is front and rear spoilers, and my option code sticker does not have either?

On 09/05/2023 at 16:06, mrar said:

Craig,

sounds like you've bought the lid,

just do what you want, It's your car.

Thanks Sean,

Just trying to work out whether to keep the tail in storage (as part of the original delivery) vs. on-selling it