Blaupunkt Bremen SQ R46

Merv

The car originally had a shiny black and chrome alpine unit with all the flashing disco lights, so it had to go. I put off the install for months waiting for a time when I’d reached a suitable level of zen calmness to tackle the wiring. I had been living in fear of what was hidden back there. However to my surprise it was a quality job! Then to top it off the old radio even used the exact same plugs as the new one. So it turned out to be a quick and easy swap over.

The outer sleeve slid straight in and I just bent the appropriate metal tabs to retain it. Then the radio slotted in no problems and is nice and secure. The install could not have been any easier. Plus the matt/satin finish of the radio fits in perfectly with the factory vinyl surrounds. I didn’t run the mic up the pillar. Instead opting to install it on top of the cowl that covers the indicator stalks. The head unit has an inbuilt mic on the front but don’t waste your time. I tried that first and it’s absolutely useless. I Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2019 at 14:04, Tips said:

I picked up the 7412 last week for the SC. I’ll do the install next week and give a bit of a DIY guide and overview.

I installed the Continental today. Was pretty straight forward as others have mentioned. Longest part of the job was running the mike cable up the A pillar to keep it out of sight.

like others have mentioned I was also fortunate that the existing wiring/plugs for the previous Kenwood and cage were a direct match, so plug and play. 

Only slight hiccup was the aerial fitting which is different so just need to get an adapter tomorrow from jacar.

the BT for phone and music streaming was a simple pair the phone and the sound is awesome.

I like the yellow backlight which fits in with the dash lighting.

So overall very happy with it, <$250 I now have phone and music streaming as well as nav voice through the stereo. It took me about 90 minutes to do the remove and install.

Highly recommended unit.

6BFF2A47-FB5E-4134-8AFD-1650294F8340.jpeg

3 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

The pic shows it with the adapter plug installed, just pull it out and away you go

Thanks mate you saved me a lot of mucking about. I searched online and nothing. One up with your simple instructions 🙄🙏

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Merv said:

Other than the lighting (yellow rather than blue) is there any difference between the Continental and VDO units?

Merv, from what I have read on a number of forums, the lighting colour is pretty much the difference

• 4 weeks later...

Part way through the installation of my VDO mechless unit.  The old unit was an Alpine with a 3 CD cassette.  Was quite costly when new in the early 90's I gather. 

I have the electrical connections chart for the Alpine and I can identify most of the associated connections to the VDO unit. The only ones not so clear are the 'Illumination' (I assume to instrument lighting), and the plug in connectors for a "Key A" socket lead?  The SWRC (steering wheel remote control) is a delete I also assumed.  Does this seem right?

@Merv just quickly checked my install. I had a Kenwood which was a plug and play. 

My illumination was via the power which also did the power aerial so test that. Correct no swrc required nor did I use the Key A plug.

Over the next week I will install an amp and when I do this I will switch the unit power to constant as I find the current source is a PITA as when I switch from accessories to start it powers down then back on which has the Ariel retract then back up again. Not an issue but it’s unnecessary 

Thanks Tips.  It does power on and the illumination does work. When connecting to the speakers (original Blaupunkt ones which worked with the old Alpine unit) however, no output.  Tested with a spare external speaker and it works.  So I guess that there is a need to check the speakers wiring and impedance. I have the original power amp that came from the factory as part of the Audio Options Pack, and it is connected. So will need to track and use the original direct speaker wires and bypass the factory amp.  I figure that the newer head unit should  have more grunt anyway than an old one.

The first image shows the Options Pack system and the second the system without the Pack.

image1429762980.jpg

audio1429561426.jpg

@merv just because it’s newer don’t think it’s more powerful, often the wattage output could be less. Comment from the audio guy I picked my speakers and amp from was while the continental looks more period correct it doesn’t have a lot of power.

Before u ditch the amp set up maybe find a local car audio shop and see if they can do a quick test for you, it could be something simple.

True Tips. The VDO head unit is now working fine.  I have labelled the original connections to the Amp for later use when I sort out the speakers.  I have put new foam on the originals but they are still average. Will try some different 130mm straight woofers in the doors (the door tweeters are fine) and a 4x6 set that will fit under the existing grilles at the rear/parsed shelf. The Bluetooth phone and audio streaming is fine. I sold the old 1994 Alpine head unit for more than the cost of the VDO/Continental unit.

• 2 weeks later...