What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

This a fairly common thread on a lot of car forums, so I thought I would start one here. If you fitted a new part, did some wrenching as my american friends call it, took it for a drive, or just gave it a new coat of wax, etc, post it up so we can all stay in touch with what ppl are doing to their cars.

I'll start by saying I took mine on the SMT and had the most fun I have ever had with my car :D

I also fitted a PORSCHEFORUM.COM.AU sticker thanks to Kerry's generosity

Cyberpunky...I was just cleaning up the interior after last weekend's Snowy Drive. I was putting the roof down to do more cleaning when I noticed a cable hanging loose under the back window as it opened. I had a look and found that the left hand tensioner cable had come loose from its mount, which explains the rattling sound I experienced on the way home. A very simple job to screw it back into place and nick up the bolt. The roof closes tight as a drum and the rattling is gone!

Serendipity!

Sometimes I think that the car talks to me!

Oh, I said that out loud didn't I?

Shredded the hex pattern on the oil drain plug nut trying to loosed it on Saturday before Sundays SMT. Then took to it with a pipe wrench and vice grip. Still no luck. Tried warming it up, hitting it with a hammer, wd40 etc. Anyone with any ideas?

Greg

Greg

It's unusual for oil drain plugs to seize up. So I'll ask the obvious, but potentially insulting question: are you 100% sure you're undoing it in the correct direction? If you're working upside down, I know from experience it's easy to get anti-clockwise all cockwise.

Some things you could try from here:

Use a Dremel tool or similar with small grinding discs to restore parallel surfaces so that you can get a spanner to grip.

Cut a groove into a side so that you can whack it with a stout screwdriver to get it moving. (I can see reasons why this may open up a whole bunch of potentially more serious problems.)

Swear creatively and vigorously.

You haven't said whether you are struggling with the drain plug on the oil tank or the engine. If it's the engine drain plug, you could remove the sump plate with the plug in place and do better with it on your workbench. If it's the oil tank drain plug, you may be able to remove the tank and work on your bench. Either of these is likely to get messy!

James

I gave the car a thorough wash and removed all the crap, rubber and dust off it then gave it a pat on the roof, for covering the 320kms of Sundays SMT, making it up and down all required roads, staying remotely within sight of those ahead and avoiding all encountered wildlife; all without missing a beat !!

Greg

It's unusual for oil drain plugs to seize up. So I'll ask the obvious, but potentially insulting question: are you 100% sure you're undoing it in the correct direction? If you're working upside down, I know from experience it's easy to get anti-clockwise all cockwise.

Some things you could try from here:

Use a Dremel tool or similar with small grinding discs to restore parallel surfaces so that you can get a spanner to grip.

Cut a groove into a side so that you can whack it with a stout screwdriver to get it moving. (I can see reasons why this may open up a whole bunch of potentially more serious problems.)

Swear creatively and vigorously.

You haven't said whether you are struggling with the drain plug on the oil tank or the engine. If it's the engine drain plug, you could remove the sump plate with the plug in place and do better with it on your workbench. If it's the oil tank drain plug, you may be able to remove the tank and work on your bench. Either of these is likely to get messy!

James

thanks all for the tips on the oil drain plug. Ill tackle it on the weekend and report back!