What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Nice one Geoff. I'm really enjoying what you're doing with the car and why you're doing it. A refreshing change from yacking about future values etc

I'll say here n now that I honestly didn't like Boxsters at all, and put them in the same category as an MX5 or similar, yet since Trev, and now you, have shown they can be turned into something that optimises the idea of having fun in a car regardless of what it is has changed my mind quite a bit, including MX5's (shit, did I just say that?)  Not saying I'm going to rush out and sell the SC to buy a Boxster, yet if I had the facility to own one as a cheap second toy (and I mean REAL CHEAP) as well as the SC, I'd probably do it and drive the s..t out of it ??

The thing about a 986 Boxter is that it's not much more than an early MX5 but goes stops and handles way better stock. And it is a Porsche (despite you have to own a hairdryer) and your Pcar friends will still play with you - begrudgingly hahhahha. . Easy and cheap as anything else to hot up. An S is better bang for buck. The only other cars in general that offer bang for buck is the early WRX or the bugeye STI or the 03 - 06 STI - and the equivalent MItsub Evo's. Of the shelf a 986 S competes perfectly with an o3 - 05 STI and at 2/3 the price.

Here's a good start with rims and exhaust (maybe suspension) already done. Low ks and reasonable price despite the mods....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-5507622/?Cr=1

2001 Porsche Boxster 986 Manual

21 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Easy and cheap as anything else to hot up. An S is better bang for buck. The only other cars in general that offer bang for buck is the early WRX or the bugeye STI or the 03 - 06 STI - and the equivalent MItsub Evo's.

Or hardtop JDM MR2 SW20 turbo if you can find one. :ph34r:

Was extremely keen on the mid mount layout of the Boxster but wanted a roof... Currently 171 kw at the rear wheels with only a mild upping of the boost.

4 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Or hardtop JDM MR2 SW20 turbo if you can find one. :ph34r:

Was extremely keen on the mid mount layout of the Boxster but wanted a roof... Currently 171 kw at the rear wheels with only a mild upping of the boost.

Way to go! Forgot about your turbo... Photos?

55 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

The thing about a 986 Boxter is that it's not much more than an early MX5 but goes stops and handles way better stock. And it is a Porsche (despite you have to own a hairdryer) and your Pcar friends will still play with you - begrudgingly hahhahha. . Easy and cheap as anything else to hot up. An S is better bang for buck. The only other cars in general that offer bang for buck is the early WRX or the bugeye STI or the 03 - 06 STI - and the equivalent MItsub Evo's. Of the shelf a 986 S competes perfectly with an o3 - 05 STI and at 2/3 the price.

Here's a good start with rims and exhaust (maybe suspension) already done. Low ks and reasonable price despite the mods....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-5507622/?Cr=1

Mmm, wonder if they're big brakes, or standard ones just painted red????

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

The thing about a 986 Boxter is that it's not much more than an early MX5 but goes stops and handles way better stock. And it is a Porsche (despite you have to own a hairdryer) and your Pcar friends will still play with you - begrudgingly hahhahha. . Easy and cheap as anything else to hot up. An S is better bang for buck. The only other cars in general that offer bang for buck is the early WRX or the bugeye STI

Being as I'm a silver car with black rims guy, that'd do me. Would have to borrow the missus hairdryer and grab some gold chains to hang around my neck as I play Frank Sinatra at max volume ??(and there's nuthin wrong with ol blue eyes!). Might even leave the mates behind in the twisties ? My other braimstorm was an early WRX for the weekends (was offered a very nice one last year with 350hp or something nuts like that) for bugger all money or a 944, and an MGB GT to use as a fun tarmac rally car once or twice a year. Again, could I sell the 911? That would take some convincing 

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Nice one Geoff. I'm really enjoying what you're doing with the car and why you're doing it. A refreshing change from yacking about future values etc

I'll say here n now that I honestly didn't like Boxsters at all, and put them in the same category as an MX5 or similar, yet since Trev, and now you, have shown they can be turned into something that optimises the idea of having fun in a car regardless of what it is has changed my mind quite a bit, including MX5's (shit, did I just say that?)  Not saying I'm going to rush out and sell the SC to buy a Boxster, yet if I had the facility to own one as a cheap second toy (and I mean REAL CHEAP) as well as the SC, I'd probably do it and drive the s..t out of it ??

Do it Lee. You know you want to?. There are some really cheap ones out there. Parts seem to be plentiful and if you not wanting a daily driver then go for it.

They are a fun car to drive. Once the revs are up they go fairly hard (even the Tipronic). I've only had mine a couple of days and love it . Although you need to be very agile to get into the bloody things?

1 hour ago, 3legs said:

Do it Lee. You know you want to?. There are some really cheap ones out there. Parts seem to be plentiful and if you not wanting a daily driver then go for it.

They are a fun car to drive. Once the revs are up they go fairly hard (even the Tipronic). I've only had mine a couple of days and love it . Although you need to be very agile to get into the bloody things?

Crikey, don't you start too! ? 

Not sure if I could live with the incessant crap about hairdressers from her indoors! And the couple of clowns I drive with most weekends ?

3 hours ago, 3legs said:

I am working on that crane for you Alex... :D

Just chatting with the missus, and not telling her what it is I showed her your Shitster Geoff. Normally she'd laugh and start the hairdresser comments, but this time she said 'Wow I like that!' Really? That's a Boxster! Sucker ??

Maybe one with that 'Caymanish' hardtop wouldn't be too bad? ?

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Just chatting with the missus, and not telling her what it is I showed her your Shitster Geoff. Normally she'd laugh and start the hairdresser comments, but this time she said 'Wow I like that!' Really? That's a Boxster! Sucker ??

Maybe one with that 'Caymanish' hardtop wouldn't be too bad? ?

She has good taste! That one above looks good with that roof (needs window maybe? Louvres?) not seen a roof like that, suits it with the bolt on guards and black rims. Sounds about like mine does. Here's one that's in Fitzys atm and it's the $10000 Boxster .... probably cost a smidge more than that overall but deals were done etc, you get the drift ... has a better donk than 3.2 as well.

Mine now with Pagids and suspension on and I may drop/damper/camber it some more, need to drive some twistys and see......15mm rear spacers on and front ones going on Monday.  Got quoted from hotrod shop $5000 to roll lips and pump out guards 30mm ... "Do that myself no probs":CoolDance: .. Baseball bat + hairdryer + 1 hour = Instant rolled lips and 20mm pumped out guards.

Big shout out for Clem there at Fitzys as well. he's a bloody gem, always a smile and goes the extra mile to help you out. Done about 15 jobs for me over the years, really knows his stuff too. It's a good place there, reasonable prices and always fit you in. No hi vis vests or permission cards, just wander in for a chat with everyone, a look around always a few interesting things, and pat the dog!

axY7VFm.jpg

5W9IC8i.jpg

G3TSrlT.jpg

43 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

She has good taste! That one above looks good with that roof (needs window maybe? Louvres?) not seen a roof like that, suits it with the bolt on guards and black rims. Sounds about like mine does. Here's one that's in Fitzys atm and it's the $10000 Boxster .... probably cost a smidge more than that overall but deals were done etc, you get the drift ... has a better donk than 3.2 as well.

Mine now with Pagids and suspension on and I may drop/damper/camber it some more, need to drive some twistys and see......15mm rear spacers on and front ones going on Monday.  Got quoted from hotrod shop $5000 to roll lips and pump out guards 30mm ... "Do that myself no probs":CoolDance: .. Baseball bat + hairdryer + 1 hour = Instant rolled lips and 20mm pumped out guards.

Big shout out for Clem there at Fitzys as well. he's a bloody gem, always a smile and goes the extra mile to help you out. Done about 15 jobs for me over the years, really knows his stuff too. It's a good place there, reasonable prices and always fit you in. No hi vis vests or permission cards, just wander in for a chat with everyone, a look around always a few interesting things, and pat the dog!

axY7VFm.jpg

5W9IC8i.jpg

G3TSrlT.jpg

Really completed the car! I feel your doing this on purpose to tempt @LeeM into buying one!

i sense there is a Boxster movement on the horizon...

Because of you I spent probably 3 hours on YouTube looking at bloody custom Boxsters and them racing! 

That one looks good with the Fuchs and guards

Just now, Daly87 said:

Really completed the car! I feel your doing this on purpose to tempt @LeeM into buying one!

i sense there is a Boxster movement on the horizon...

Been looking at them far too much, and pricing up short shifters, rims, roll hoops etc etc ? Might need to blag a drive of one in the future to see what all the fuss is about. Would be a laugh at the Adelaide Motorsport Festival in December ?

Finally tackled the engine sound proofing job today. Turned out great! Bought some of this and stuck it in first (http://www.carbuilders.com.au/peel-stick-heat-shield~845). Then placed the Porsche OEM light sound proofing foam on the top. Used the template of the OEM foam to cut out the aluminium heat shield and match them up. Then slid the foam into place and sprayed an adhesive to stick it to the heat shield!

So clean :D Cut the noise down considerably in the cabin!

4ZoE5FJl.jpg

ktlV8q9l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a big week in the life of the BBC.   

Into PCM on Monday for a Major, which all went well, although they found a slight oil leak from the o ring where the oil filter screws onto.

So they replaced the actual oil filter housing as well as the o ring, and that fixed that..

I also gave them a pair of rear hatch rubber buffer blocks aka Gummy Puffer's would you believe.

They are a re designed rubber block to assist in removing the rear hatch "clunk" which is a bit of a problem with Cayman's apparently. 

Anyway after pulling whats left of my hair out, over the last few years, I think it's fixed the problem.   Woo hoo.

At the end of the day....I think PCM did a great job all round, and at the initial wince of the Major Service price I think it was well worth it in the end.

Then Tuesday, picked the BBC up from PCM and drove direct to JOCARO in Braeside.

Gave them my new set of EIBACH lowered springs to fit.

Picked the car up yesterday and I am pretty happy with the result.

30mm drop in the front and 25mm drop in the rear.   Used to be able to put four fingers between guard and tyre on the rear..now it won't take two.  woo hoo again

PHOTO-2018-07-25-13-25-37IMG_4223IMG_4222IMG_4224IMG_4225IMG_4226

The ride is a tad tighter and from the little bit of a squirt I have given it seems to have maintained the handling quality if not improved a bit more.

Next SMT will tell me.

The only thing left to say is. 

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO

15 minutes ago, Niko said:

Well its been a big week in the life of the BBC.   

Into PCM on Monday for a Major, which all went well, although they found a slight oil leak from the o ring where the oil filter screws onto.

So they replaced the actual oil filter housing as well as the o ring, and that fixed that..

I also gave them a pair of rear hatch rubber buffer blocks aka Gummy Puffer's would you believe.

They are a re designed rubber block to assist in removing the rear hatch "clunk" which is a bit of a problem with Cayman's apparently. 

Anyway after pulling whats left of my hair out, over the last few years, I think it's fixed the problem.   Woo hoo.

At the end of the day....I think PCM did a great job all round, and at the initial wince of the Major Service price I think it was well worth it in the end.

Then Tuesday, picked the BBC up from PCM and drove direct to JOCARO in Braeside.

Gave them my new set of EIBACH lowered springs to fit.

Picked the car up yesterday and I am pretty happy with the result.

30mm drop in the front and 25mm drop in the rear.   Used to be able to put four fingers between guard and tyre on the rear..now it won't take two.  woo hoo again

PHOTO-2018-07-25-13-25-37IMG_4223IMG_4222IMG_4224IMG_4225IMG_4226

The ride is a tad tighter and from the little bit of a squirt I have given it seems to have maintained the handling quality if not improved a bit more.

Next SMT will tell me.

The only thing left to say is. 

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO

looks shit hot