What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Had a new aftermarket wiper switch delivered from the US ..... much harder to source as after '81 they used the plastic ones in the 924 and the 944 .... this one has the flat metal stalks ....

Turns out they are the same part number as early VW's although the design has changed ever so slightly from original Porsche part.

So after some cutting of wires, then soldering of wires, then Googleing of wire positions (completely different wire colours), I finally got the wipers to operate exactly as intended .....

I must say that I am absolutely astounded that every single electrical component of this 1980 924 works as it should .....

Decided to take my car to Sydney's finest detailing service (A.K.A. SteveF's house as he has a buffer). The paintwork on the 924 was very faded, oxidised and chalky .....

Didn't hold out too much hope and thought to myself .... even if we buff it so much we end up at bare metal, it won't be any worse ...

We spent about 4.5 hours on it .... the company was great, the conversation was great, the buffer performed flawlessly, and the result ..... well, see for yourselves ...

BEFORE:

20170219_103512_zpss3nkjoye.jpg

20170219_103504_zpsxaic3dhq.jpg

20170219_103409_zpspww3306t.jpg

AFTER:

20170219_162826_zpslrukwocc.jpg

20170219_163033_zpsvr3rrjrd.jpg

20170219_163006_zps90gzuism.jpg

Thanks Steve for a fun afternoon and for being so pedantic that you just had to finish it all off with a cleaning of the glass and wheels ..... look forward to returning the favor on your next Porsche purchase sometime soon ..... (hint, hint)

James P ..... if you didn't see my previous post in the other thread ..... Thanks again for selling me this car!!! ...... you definitely won't be getting it back now ..... B)

Edited by Dreamr
Spelling

Thanks James ....

It is a 200% improvement from what it was ... while it still has some paint flaws, it looks mighty impressive and turns heads.

Still a way to go with the restore, but one step at a time .....

it's good to see you have spent some time on the rare model and not been too concerned with the common old 911 that you have......

Let the mods begin :ph34r:

Fitted RS engine mounts, wOw noticeable difference in the gear shift.

Hi @Fraz, I was recommended to update to RS engine mounts too (no action on this yet, still on my todo list) but didn't realise what effect it would have....  Can you describe the "wow" factor a bit more? What changed? All gears diff?

Hi @Fraz, I was recommended to update to RS engine mounts too (no action on this yet, still on my todo list) but didn't realise what effect it would have....  Can you describe the "wow" factor a bit more? What changed? All gears diff?

? probally a slight exaggeration there, just made the shift feel a bit more precise and smooth going up though the gears. Biggest difference is the down shift to first while still rolling, does it with ease now. For example at a give way sign, pops straight into first. Before it would do it but was a bit notchey. 

The rubber on one of the old engine mounts was a bit stuffed, so that's probably why it feels so much better now.

Decided to take my car to Sydney's finest detailing service (A.K.A. SteveF's house as he has a buffer). The paintwork on the 924 was very faded, oxidised and chalky .....

Didn't hold out too much hope and thought to myself .... even if we buff it so much we end up at bare metal, it won't be any worse ...

We spent about 4.5 hours on it .... the company was great, the conversation was great, the buffer performed flawlessly, and the result ..... well, see for yourselves ...

BEFORE:

20170219_103512_zpss3nkjoye.jpg

AFTER:

20170219_162826_zpslrukwocc.jpg

Thanks Steve for a fun afternoon and for being so pedantic that you just had to finish it all off with a cleaning of the glass and wheels ..... look forward to returning the favor on your next Porsche purchase sometime soon ..... (hint, hint)

James P ..... if you didn't see my previous post in the other thread ..... Thanks again for selling me this car!!! ...... you definitely won't be getting it back now ..... B)

Looks like we're gunna have to have a PFA buff off competition.

Looks like we're gunna have to have a PFA buff off competition.

Watch out mate .... I have a "SteveF" .... B)  :lol:

^^ that is awesome. Like a respray but a whole heap less time and money. Very exciting for you and great result.

It really is a good result .... it looks great. There are still some paint flaws and it will still need a respray, but after getting it to look like this, I will be able to put it off .....