What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

My little 928 alternator saga came to an end tonight.

About a month ago , not long after I picked up the shark from the bodyworks with a dead stereo/blown fuse, my alternator packed it in.

It was a refurbed unit installed by the PO after 3 attempts to repair the one that was in there. 928s are notorious for having an alternator very low to road that gets hot and is not especially grunty. You have to duct cool air to it for best results/longevity.

Anyway , mine was f...ed and after a $38 autopsy I had to face the 3 options of an OEM one (new) a refurbed Bosch one or a super duper amperage aftermarket jobby which sucks in dirt. I went the OEM new one from the USA. because we all know 928 electrics are just so emo and complex.

circuit_diagram1334593695.jpg

I had to drill out one of the alt housing mounting holes because the bolt was too big. Possibly because the block was a  later model than the original one..or someone stripped a thread in the past...

Then I feared two of the PS bracket  bolt threads were stripped , turned out bolts were too short and worn. Found a couple of good ones lying around , popped some antiseize on them.

The pulley wouldn't unbolt off the old alternator despite all attempts in the usual fashion. So I had to drill the nut off.

Then I couldn't get the alt bracket to tension up. Managed just as the stores were closing to find the right sized bolt to replace the rather nasty worn one. Ended up having to grind the adjustment slot another 5mm , phew that worked. Otherwise it was get a smaller belt or get a larger bracket made up.

I also removed and cleaned the grungy earth strap after failing to find a suitable new one at 3 auto stores today.

So the car fired right up with more volts on the gauge than it's ever had in my ownership.

A prick of a job that should have just been plug and play. Oh well. As Edd China says , "never give up!".

Oh and I'm glad I rebuilt the engine wiring harness a couple of years ago , otherwise I'd lie awake at night knowing that roasted old chestnut still had to be done!

Decided to take my car to Sydney's finest detailing service (A.K.A. SteveF's house as he has a buffer). The paintwork on the 924 was very faded, oxidised and chalky .....

Didn't hold out too much hope and thought to myself .... even if we buff it so much we end up at bare metal, it won't be any worse ...

We spent about 4.5 hours on it .... the company was great, the conversation was great, the buffer performed flawlessly, and the result ..... well, see for yourselves ...

BEFORE:

20170219_103512_zpss3nkjoye.jpg

20170219_103504_zpsxaic3dhq.jpg

20170219_103409_zpspww3306t.jpg

AFTER:

20170219_162826_zpslrukwocc.jpg

20170219_163033_zpsvr3rrjrd.jpg

20170219_163006_zps90gzuism.jpg

Thanks Steve for a fun afternoon and for being so pedantic that you just had to finish it all off with a cleaning of the glass and wheels ..... look forward to returning the favor on your next Porsche purchase sometime soon ..... (hint, hint)

James P ..... if you didn't see my previous post in the other thread ..... Thanks again for selling me this car!!! ...... you definitely won't be getting it back now ..... B)

Nice one Dreamr & Stevef, look forward to catching up......

My little 928 alternator saga came to an end tonight.

About a month ago , not long after I picked up the shark from the bodyworks with a dead stereo/blown fuse, my alternator packed it in.

It was a refurbed unit installed by the PO after 3 attempts to repair the one that was in there. 928s are notorious for having an alternator very low to road that gets hot and is not especially grunty. You have to duct cool air to it for best results/longevity.

Anyway , mine was f...ed and after a $38 autopsy I had to face the 3 options of an OEM one (new) a refurbed Bosch one or a super duper amperage aftermarket jobby which sucks in dirt. I went the OEM new one from the USA. because we all know 928 electrics are just so emo and complex.

circuit_diagram1334593695.jpg

I had to drill out one of the alt housing mounting holes because the bolt was too big. Possibly because the block was a  later model than the original one..or someone stripped a thread in the past...

Then I feared two of the PS bracket  bolt threads were stripped , turned out bolts were too short and worn. Found a couple of good ones lying around , popped some antiseize on them.

The pulley wouldn't unbolt off the old alternator despite all attempts in the usual fashion. So I had to drill the nut off.

Then I couldn't get the alt bracket to tension up. Managed just as the stores were closing to find the right sized bolt to replace the rather nasty worn one. Ended up having to grind the adjustment slot another 5mm , phew that worked. Otherwise it was get a smaller belt or get a larger bracket made up.

I also removed and cleaned the grungy earth strap after failing to find a suitable new one at 3 auto stores today.

So the car fired right up with more volts on the gauge than it's ever had in my ownership.

A prick of a job that should have just been plug and play. Oh well. As Edd China says , "never give up!".

Oh and I'm glad I rebuilt the engine wiring harness a couple of years ago , otherwise I'd lie awake at night knowing that roasted old chestnut still had to be done!

Sounds very similar to my own alternators woes.... hopefully now both of them last for many more years.....

Yesterday I went through all 30+ fuses on the board of the 928, stuck some dielectric grease on the contacts.

About 18 months ago I tried to fix condensation in the headlight on the 928. I assumed it was the glass/metal seal, siliconed it up but no fixy. 

After looking at the prices of RHD replacements , today I decided to have another look. It turned out to be the rear seal , which had a compression lip for whatever reason.

IMG_0227.jpg

So using the nicely engineered stainless seal clips , I just reversed the seal and put some sealant on the other surface.

IMG_0228.jpg

And to remove the moisture droplets , I swished the lamp out with metho a couple of times. Fingers crossed it all holds up.

I had an issue with my wipers not returning to the park position when switched off. So seeing as I'm off to Phillip Island in a few weeks time I thought I better fix them.

Pulled the steering wheel off, removed the wiper switch, cleaned the contacts and copper tracks, checked switch continuity with the multi meter, so far so good.

Test with power on before putting the steering wheel back on, now the washer doesn't work, fiddle around a bit more, now nothing works. Check the fuse, all ok, had 12 volts at the switch on all the correct terminals, still nothing. I'm starting to think the wiper motor has now failed, looked in the front trunk for the wiper motor, where the hell is it? Looked under the dash...ah ha, connector plug not fully seated in it's base. Push it in, all working again now. I now have a clean wiper switch, I was surprised at how much dirt was on the contacts. It probably wont rain on my trip into Victoria now that it's all working as it should...here's hoping!

If you are heading to the Phillip Island Classic in a few weeks come and say hello, I will be parked with the XU1's again.

Cheers,

Dominic.

After close to 10 years now, I finally switched out my super comfy leather race seats and put the original 3.2 seats back in.

The stock seats are a little harder on the "rear end" and no more shoulder support :(, but I'm happy with the result.  Last on the list is sourcing an original 4 spoke wheel and removing the momo, maybe it'll take another 10 years :lol:.

Race seats will be listed on ebay very soon if anyone's interested. 

BEFORE

IMG_2570_zpsxpu9ph6l.jpg

AFTER

IMG_2734_zpsrplqzoov.jpg

Put a flat engine lid on the other day replacing the maroon wale tail... at least it's the same colour this time

IMG_7057_zpsi1o9m6zu.jpg

looks  great James.  I'm thinking about the same thing.  Does yours have the front chin spoiler?  I'd love to see some more pics?

looks  great James.  I'm thinking about the same thing.  Does yours have the front chin spoiler?  I'd love to see some more pics?

Thanks... I prefer no wing just looks cleaner, has no chin spoiler or side skirts... btw its a 82 SC not a C3... however my old C3 below looked better with no wing also

IMG_0990%20copy_zpshvjokahz.jpg

IMG_7060_zpshiduvodc.jpg

What did I do on my Porsche today (or Sunday just gone)?.. Nothing. I just drove it filthy dirty, around town and visited the old Merc and Audi in storage. It was pleasant.

rHGlqYW.jpg

Nice Targa Tas logo on the number plate.

Removed the chin spoiler, as it was damaged, and I don't like them anyway (that was fun!) Swapped the rear tyres onto the Ronal rims. Fronts this week

And clean the shed!

How will this affect the Handling Lee? Presuming like the similar one on the 928 that it was put there to combat/ compliment handling?

How will this affect the Handling Lee? Presuming like the similar one on the 928 that it was put there to combat/ compliment handling?

I was told they were fitted due to autobahn speeds had these things feeling very light in the front end. Whether its true or not I don't know, but it makes sense to me, yet I dare say I won't be doing those sort of speeds to notice any difference mate

I was told they were fitted due to autobahn speeds had these things feeling very light in the front end. Whether its true or not I don't know, but it makes sense to me, yet I dare say I won't be doing those sort of speeds to notice any difference mate

My understanding is it's ok to have the chin spoiler without the rear wing but not vice versa as this can cause the front end to get light at highway speeds

My understanding is it's ok to have the chin spoiler without the rear wing but not vice versa as this can cause the front end to get light at highway speeds

I'll let you know if I feel the drag coefficient is reduced significantly if I get above 110kph 

Not that I'd recommend exceeding the national speed limit ofcourse!