What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

I popped the driver's side mirror off to get at the loose mounting screw.   I discovered it's a heated mirror but there's no switch for it inside.  Anyone know how these are activated?

I also discovered I'm not the first to get into it. There was a big wad of tape wrapped around the wiring.

I am pretty sure they are linked to the rear demister switch...

I popped the driver's side mirror off to get at the loose mounting screw.   I discovered it's a heated mirror but there's no switch for it inside.  Anyone know how these are activated?

I also discovered I'm not the first to get into it. There was a big wad of tape wrapped around the wiring.

7C91077F-BFB8-434B-AD36-11DD8DF415B5.jpg

Harvs,

Jaycar sell the Molex pin removal tools, that would allow you to slip some heat shrink wrap over those wires for a proper repair.

C1F6OSz.jpg

Edited by 81SC
F**king photobucket

Harvs,

Jaycar sell the Molex pin removal tools, that would allow you to slip some heat shrink wrap over those wires for a proper repair.

Mirror%20pin%20tool%20-%20Molex.jpg

Back to Jaycar then.  I got the heat shrink last night, I didn't think of getting a pin tool. Thanks. 

Back to Jaycar then.  I got the heat shrink last night, I didn't think of getting a pin tool. Thanks. 

The right tools make a tricky job easy. The pin extractor worked a treat. I got the larger size of the two available, 3.2 OD with a 2.8 ID, which just fitted over the pins. 

3svebT.jpg

Once the pins were pushed out it was an easy job to remove the mirror from the door and reassemble the spring bolt to the housing.  A large flat blade screw driver is all that's needed to tighten it if you don't have the right sized Torx driver.

I will be checking the bolt regularly to make sure it doesn't completely back off the thread again.  It doesn't really lock down so comes loose a little when the mirror is flipped back and forth. 

Edited by Harvs11

I removed the old choked up cat converter (all 7.2 kg worth) and replaced it with a length of pipe. What a ball ache of a job. Cat not required anyway because it's an 81 model. 6 bolts on the inlet end. Every bolt head was a different size. A mixture of imperial and metric, 5/16, 3/8, 6mm, 8mm. Nuts were missing (rusted away) on the lower 3 and it was just the rust keeping it together.  I cut the lower 2 heads off, ground the head off the 3rd one with my die grinder, and removed the v band clamp on the upper pipe. Then I couldn't get the slip joint apart for about the last 10mm  because the shocker was in the way.  Ended up cutting the pipes on the inlet side of the cat. By this stage i had been working on it for about 4 1/2 hours on and off. 20 minutes later, the new pipe was on and car running.

I was a bit bored, and have wanted to try fully painted (plastikote) satin black rims on the 911, yet didn't want to paint the Ronals, so I tried the 17's instead. 

20170701_133803.jpg

Should try them on Andrews car. We were talking about that yesterday - painting his black.

Should try them on Andrews car. We were talking about that yesterday - painting his black.

You'll get no argument from me there!

Will paint the others up if I get time during the week and try them on his car. The price just went up to an astronomical level though! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Dilemma ... what to drive... washed em .. drove em .. $50 of 98 in each .. back to back comparison .. still cant decide .. which one gets me to the coffee shop quicker.. maybe I need a coffee shop further away.. 11.5kms 

One is a little more economic on fuel, one isnt quite as bumpy, one I can hear the stereo , one has a cup holder

Photo%2014-7-17%204%2052%2045%20pm_zpssx

Dilemma ... what to drive... washed em .. drove em .. $50 of 98 in each .. back to back comparision .. still cant decide .. which one gets me to the coffee shop quicker.. maybe I need a coffee shop further away.. 11.5kms 

One is a little more economic on fuel, one isnt quite as bumpy, one I can hear the stereo , one has a cup holder

Both great cars, 993 for me hands down......but I like old school.

Dilemma ... what to drive... washed em .. drove em .. $50 of 98 in each .. back to back comparison .. still cant decide .. which one gets me to the coffee shop quicker.. maybe I need a coffee shop further away.. 11.5kms 

I like the Virgin white one. 

More like what I have to do! Fitted the Ronal Penta rims back on for tomorrow, and noticed a load of oil everywhere (it's usually pretty clean underneath) then saw the outer driveshaft boot has split. Going to have a crack at it during the week, and probably paint a few things underneath whilst I'm there

20170714_133344.jpg

So I had a crack at removing the driveshaft s'arvo, as I have a bit of mechanical ability and wanted to save a bit of cash.?

A few words of advice. Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, know what goes where and how, have a hoist or a pit and the right tools, whatever you do, for gods sake DON'T! 

I got the outer off, then realised I hadn't cracked the inner bolts. No problem, just reattach some outer bolts to crack the inners. Hahahaha, yeah right! Took me an hour or so just to line the friggin thing back up to get one bolt in! Seems to be back in ok and the shaft turns when I move the brake rotor, though I hope it's got drive so I can take it to Buik Motorworks who actually know what they're doing! 

What a plonker ?

Update to the driveshaft hilarity yesterday. 

After a chat with Craig at Buiks Motorworks today, and him getting me a new driveshaft boot in record time, i had another crack at removing the shaft. Use handbrake and CRACK ALL THE BOLTS FIRST! Derrr ?

Anyway. Got home all enthused to have another crack, and it was out within 20 minutes. Removed the circlip to take the hub thingy off without it flying across the shed (hint. Cover it with a towel, As they're springy little suckers! I used a circlip tool i miraculously found in a pile of crap. DON'T try using needle nose pliers) Fitted the new boot and reassembled the hub and circlip. Make sure you hear a click to ensure its on correctly. Booyah! (Hint #2. Don't fit the cable tie at the skinny end of the boot till you've bolted it all back in the car, As you need to line up the bolt holes with the boot and hub) 

Just need to get some bananas to stuff in the hub and we're done.

Oh, and have loads of Coles latex gloves handy, don't wear good clothes and clean everything as you go (tools especially), as its a messy job. 

And thanks Craig. Much appreciated ?

Update to the driveshaft hilarity yesterday. 

After a chat with Craig at Buiks Motorworks today, and him getting me a new driveshaft boot in record time, i had another crack at removing the shaft. Use handbrake and CRACK ALL THE BOLTS FIRST! Derrr ?

Anyway. Got home all enthused to have another crack, and it was out within 20 minutes. Removed the circlip to take the hub thingy off without it flying across the shed (hint. Cover it with a towel, As they're springy little suckers! I used a circlip tool i miraculously found in a pile of crap. DON'T try using needle nose pliers) Fitted the new boot and reassembled the hub and circlip. Make sure you hear a click to ensure its on correctly. Booyah! (Hint #2. Don't fit the cable tie at the skinny end of the boot till you've bolted it all back in the car, As you need to line up the bolt holes with the boot and hub) 

Just need to get some bananas to stuff in the hub and we're done.

Oh, and have loads of Coles latex gloves handy, don't wear good clothes and clean everything as you go (tools especially), as its a messy job. 

And thanks Craig. Much appreciated ?

bananas????