What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Well not me, but another PFA member went a bit far to rearrange the bodywork and some other bits on our drive today ?

Not 100% certain as the cause (I am certain personally), but the right rear swaybar mount snapped off and turned the car sharp left into a rock face with no warning, and that was it. Front left obviously trashed, front right wheel damaged and has a lot more camber now, popped the windscreen out a bit and the swaybar mount gone awol. No injuries, so that's good, and the car is off to be fixed within a few weeks

20180110_100025.jpg

Yikes! ?

20180110_105221.jpg

On 1/10/2018 at 10:48 PM, LeeM said:

Well not me, but another PFA member went a bit far to rearrange the bodywork and some other bits on our drive today ?

Not 100% certain as the cause (I am certain personally), but the right rear swaybar mount snapped off and turned the car sharp left into a rock face with no warning, and that was it. Front left obviously trashed, front right wheel damaged and has a lot more camber now, popped the windscreen out a bit and the swaybar mount gone awol. No injuries, so that's good, and the car is off to be fixed within a few weeks

20180110_100025.jpg

Yikes! ?

20180110_105221.jpg

Scares the hell out of me to think you could be punting along, having a good time and thinking your car is sorted and then a mechanical puts you into an embankment. Lucky it wasn't worse. Sad to see that car looking so sore and sorry. It's a beauty.

27 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Scares the hell out of me to think you could be punting along, having a good time and thinking your car is sorted and then a mechanical puts you into an embankment. Lucky it wasn't worse. Sad to see that car looking so sore and sorry. It's a beauty.

Yeah mate, scares me too, so I'm going over mine over the next coupla weeks

Suicide RS wheel change over

Just back from the USA yesterday with a RS steering wheel smuggled in my carry on.

Hanger Banger tomorrow....I'm doing this.....(Make or break)

In progress...

5a61c402de8be_Alloff.jpg.aec6171ec01b85d0acb1aae1726dd3d2.jpg

Almost got tripped up when testing/measuring the airbag bypass circuit I soldered up. FYI sneaky Germans have used circuit collapsing contacts for the air bag plugs (Its actually good practice for a disconnect failure mode). Pretty advance for a 1996 system.

Final outcome

Complete.jpg.7e25575767be69607ee3b9b65d7a1c17.jpg

Not to shabby for a 2 hour turn around.

Ready for tomorrow morning! ;)

(If anyone see a silver 993 veering off the road at some point tomorrow, please delete this post 8\)

11 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

What is plasti dip? It looks fantastic.  It is east to apply?

Plasticy paint in a spray can, but you can remove it pretty easily. Great for this application and Common to paint rims with it which I did. Works ok, but dare say it wouldn't last too long on rims, as you can scratch it off with a finger nail

13 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ok I will get some as I need to fix the plastic sill areas as feet drag across them when entering the car so this stuff could be perfect.  Where do you buy it?

I got it sent through eBay , but you can get it at supercheap auto, and others I dare say 

So continuig on with the ghetto backdate, and after many have asked, yet much procrastination on my part (aka lazy), I finally got onto removing the sill covers. Easy 1 hour job that included polishing up the oil lines with a grinder and poly disc, it's come up reasonably well I think. Have done the other side and just painted it black, yet have a few holes to fill and paint it all

20180128_103032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of SMTs I noticed when hard braking the brakes were a bit soft, i.e. needed to depress the pedal quite a bit to get a solid response. So, after a little reading and feedback, thought I'd get braided lines and upgrade the fluid as a first small step. Did that a few weeks ago and had a couple of drives since..... Unfortunately, I feel no discernible difference to the feel of the pedal. Some feedback I got said it would feel like a brick... I got nothing!!  Anyone can confirm this...? 

The next step is to upgrade the pads (when the current wear down) and then get boxster calipers if still not enough improvement... 

4 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The last couple of SMTs I noticed when hard braking the brakes were a bit soft, i.e. needed to depress the pedal quite a bit to get a solid response. So, after a little reading and feedback, thought I'd get braided lines and upgrade the fluid as a first small step. Did that a few weeks ago and had a couple of drives since..... Unfortunately, I feel no discernible difference to the feel of the pedal. Some feedback I got said it would feel like a brick... I got nothing!!  Anyone can confirm this...? 

The next step is to upgrade the pads (when the current wear down) and then get boxster calipers if still not enough improvement... 

Can't say I'm surprised at the result.  New fluid will only help with it getting very hot and boiling, something you're not likely to do on an SMT.  If the brakes weren't bled properly before and are now that should make a difference but none is showing evidently.  Personally never noted any difference with braided lines.  Pad choice however makes a huge difference to pedal effort and feel and how bitey they are on initial application.

6 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Try some pagid ..  what pads you running , theres a box of em outta my hotrod you can have a play with , should fit your car , you will just have to hassle Fraz