What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Today has been one of the less enjoyable days owning a Porsche 986..... Started off the day getting in and noticing what seemed to be a ticket at first then on closer inspection, a note saying “sorry I accidentally hit your car”. So went around looked at the front and sure enough someone has completely ruined the front bumper (luckily didn’t hit anything else). She was nice enough to leave her number though so at least there are decent people in the world. Then the day got worse when parked at a mates house I went to leave and when unlocking the door the key managed to get itself completely stuck and not come out. This is after a week of it starting to feel a bit gluggy and not mechanical. So had to Uber home and back to get a spare key while my actual key was stuck in the door handle the whole time. So finally pulled the door panel apart when I got home and seems that’s the lock mechanism has seized! Not a good day!!
This last photo is trying to get the lock out but they key was still stuck so eventually got it out after the actual key had snapped from pulling. At least I have 3 keys now 2.
3141cefadcf1e3403896a654fde5d230.jpg

7b6c3ae5cb3c3e0dce09ed354ce3d3e6.jpg343d9288159200e2addc993a896e1fed.jpg

I entered the rabbit hole of dash gauges / wiring repair with my 928. Sooner or later , it's gonna get ya!

Apart from some flaky contacts (more on those another day) the odo has never worked. I had been gifted a new cog but unfortunately it was the wrong one. 

A week later , the Germans dropped a correct one from the sky.

You've heard about last century Porsche odo gears turning to cheese when dipped in the factory petroleum jelly? Behold.

NMYYPfn.jpg

Hardest part is levering the speedo needle off. A hamfist will cost you dearly!

Waiting on a backorder part to fix my ammeter , without which the alternator will not charge,  such is the brain of  a shark.

11 hours ago, ANF said:

Looks about the same as mine used to be! Well done, now you can measure stuff with your 928 ;)

It's all about increasing the general marketplace and values ;) Who would even think of buying a car without an odometer , let alone one which has had the odo apart?

For the record , I didn't alter the reading. 

An odo would be useful if you had to keep a limited rego logbook. 

6 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

It's all about increasing the general marketplace and values ;) Who would even think of buying a car without an odometer , let alone one which has had the odo apart?

For the record , I didn't alter the reading. 

An odo would be useful if you had to keep a limited rego logbook. 

Shhh, I wont tell anyone as long as you don't too!! :cool07:

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted a new voltage regulator on my 996 GT3RS. Other than one set of tires and front trunk motor and front trunk struts, no issues with car. Just regular services. Oh I have ordered now knobs for the radio, they are stuffed. Now @ 41K

Jason A,

if they are just sticky you can clean them with some Prepsol, Prepwash, Grease and wax remover. My 996TT had the sticky radio knob syndrome and the prepsol worked a treat. It seems to be the plastisisor (not sure of the spelling) coming out of the plastic knob.

Allan